Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

French Laundry Cookbook -- Powders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinerGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: French Laundry Cookbook -- Powders Reply with quote

This year, I'm cooking every recipe in the French Laundry Cookbook, and ran into some trouble with Keller's directions for how to do tomato powder (and other powders). His instructions for using the microwave to do this did not necessarily work for me (and in fact, caused a small fire in the microwave this weekend), so short of getting a food dehydrator, I'm guessing my only option is to slow-roast the tomatoes overnight, then grind them the next day.

If you've made his powders, or the pepper confetti, please let me know how it worked for you. Thanks!
msue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that section on powders but have not attempted to make one (don't own a microwave). Reading the specific directions for his method, I wonder if your microwave's low power setting really gets low enough to dry the tomatoes without the fire problem. Also, in the directions for the pepper confetti, he specifies that the surface on which you place the veggies must be glass-smooth, otherwise small surface imperfections will cause parts of the puree or veggie to burn. Maybe that happened with the tomatoes as well?

Your thought of slow-drying the tomatoes in a very low oven might work. In the introduction to that section, he mentions that in the restaurant kitchen, they set the pans in the warm area above the oven. If your oven is a convection oven, I expect it would be best - all that air moving, etc.

On a side note - WOW about cooking every recipe in the French Laundry. I'm impressed. Even the saddle of rabbit on pg. 207? That rabbit story really struck me. Where did you find rabbit?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't have a microwave I had to come up with a solution to this very problem. The first option is to blanch and peel the tomatoes drying the skin in the oven on parchment on very low heat for a few hours and grind. The other is to roast the tomatoes and put them through a tomato press which separates the tomatoes from the skin and seeds. You then dry on parchment, in an oven on low heat. With the second you go get he seeds, but they grind up just as easily as the skin and you get all of that antioxidant power.

Have fun!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: