Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Belgium next week!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Belgium next week! Reply with quote

I will be in Brussels for business next week, and have one day to myself. I have gotten some good advice on the sightseeing, but was wondering if anyone had any foodie stops for shopping or dining. I know this is a chocolate haven, but don't know where to start!

Thanks in advance!

PS - I just found out that I am traveling from Brussels to Maidenhead, UK - the home of Fat Duck. They are of couse booked, but I am on a waitlist. I live in hope!
maarten77b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Too late? Reply with quote

Oh sorry... just read your post... too late, i think?
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not too late, you could try to visit chocolate master Pierre Marcolini, and also drink a pint of gueuze somewhere, preferably one made by Cantillon, one of the few who still brew it the old-fashioned way.
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Clotilde. I did not get this until my return, but had already been instructed to try kriek, which was just lovely. I of course ate moules frites, and discovered a lovely beef stew called carbonnade, made with beer and lots of onions. must find a recipe.

and the chocolate.....stopped at Pierre Marcolini, and was mesmerized. I really can't explain what my palate experienced, but everything that passed my lips was divine. I think I ate something scented with Jasimine that was a heavenly.

Most of the treats i took home were from a more modest (read: affordable) shop called Galler - also quite good, and they had this new product line: Kaori ( I think Japanese for perfume). It is a small box of flavored chocolate sticks that are to be dipped in various "scents". Quite an experience for the senses.

http://www.galler.com/index.php?setLang=en
eileen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello bluedog,
too bad i didn't see your message until too late...maybe next time?
the chocolate and beer advice couldn't be better, but here in antwerp we have a lovely chocolate shop! and divine cafes and restaurants....
i just bought the galler chocolate sticks as a hostess gift and was curious how they tasted....
cheers,
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Clotilde posted a recipe for Carbonnades Flamandes last year. It's not posted now, but I know it was published in the October/November 2006 RĂ©gal Magazine. And it may be coming in THE BOOK!

Alternatively, you could PM Clotilde and beg...
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one in Cook's Illustrated. we tried it and it was amazing. Such rich, intense flavors, perfectly balanced. They always deconstruct recipes so well! I will be anxious to compare Clotilde's when the book arrives. (this is the longest pre-order i have ever done, and feel like a kid just before xmas - so much waiting!)

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/login.asp?did=1915&LoginForm=recipe&iseason=

Unfortunately, you have to be a member to access the recipes, but well worth it, I think.
stepheb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in Brussels on this Wednesday - so excited!

Actually, I am spending a couple of days in Luxembourg City (went to school there for 6 months in college), then on to Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge site), then to bruges and then brussels...

My DH and I can not wait!!!! We will definitely be checking out the chocolate and beer!

And I am personally excited to have mussels!!!! DH likes them, but doesn't love them, so we don't make them much here at home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: