Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New All Time Favorite in Los Angeles Area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: New All Time Favorite in Los Angeles Area Reply with quote

I went to this place in desperation one night because I realized I was getting crazed and hadn't had a decent meal with veggies in longer than I could remember. It was so good I took Steve the next time and we've been back half a dozen times since.

It's called The Farm of Beverly Hills. The location near me is in the huge new mall between Victory & Vanowen and Topanga & Owensmouth in Woodland Hills. They have two other locations. One is at The Grove which I (luddite that I am) understand is what use to be called the Farmers' Market on Crescent Heights in West Hollywood until it became one of Paris Hilton's hangouts and too too cool. Don't remember where the third location is.

Anyway, the ambiance is relaxed country with a refined sensibility from beautiful materials and excellent taste BUT you can walk in in your jeans and fit right in to the mood an be treated as a welcome guest. The menu is imaginative and offers everything from sandwiches and salads to breakfast and entrées — all prepared with an eye to presentation but never a compromise in flavor.

One of my favorite things is the roasted beet salad with sautéed fennel and goat cheese served over greens and topped with a drizzle of a fig balsamic reduction and crisped shredded carrots that I had on that frantic night. Another was huevos rancheros with perfectly poached eggs served over a tiny tortilla and the most delicious cake of roasted potatoes and black beans — best breakfast I've had since the Mexican restaurant in the Berkeley area. If you're tempted to try it, I recommend asking for additional rancheros sauce on the side. I also had a roast chicken that had the most wonderfully crispy skin and was served over a sweet and sour sauce that would NOT have been my choice EXCEPT for the wonderful balance of flavors that was not the least cloying. It was served with wasabi mashed potatoes but they were happy to substitute garlic mashed for me and offered one or two other options I don't remember.

Steve found the coffee very good. I was amazed at the selection of teas including a number of green and white varieties.

The prices are, as you'd expect for such well-prepared food, higher than mall food. But they're in line with mid-range restaurants & delis in the area and FAR lower than I'd expect to pay for food of such quality and imagination.

Reservations haven't been necessary at the WH location tho sooner or later other people are going to catch on how very good this place is and we won't be able to just walk in for breakfast anymore. And I didn't encounter any wait at dinner during the week. We haven't been there for dinner on a weekend yet. Haven't had a dessert yet either.

All in all, this is excellent food without the tiniest hint of pretension or self-consciousness in preparation or service.
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey---you really should find work as a restaurant reviewer! That salad sounds fantastic!
tannazie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New All Time Favorite in Los Angeles Area Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
The Grove which I (luddite that I am) understand is what use to be called the Farmers' Market on Crescent Heights in West Hollywood until it became one of Paris Hilton's hangouts and too too cool.

Just wanted to set the records straight on my beloved Farmers' Market (I mean, it's not really mine, but living a block away for the last 5 years has left me quite protective of the place). It is alive and thriving *adjacent to* the Grove. In spite the Paris Hilton hangout that is kind of eclipsing it next door, it's still, after 88 years, the home to plenty of great food options: Singaporean, Brazilian churrascaria, excellent Mexican (with, coincidentally, great huevos rancheros!), Middle Eastern felafel/shewarma, and one of the oldest pizza places in Los Angeles.

I know I kind of took it off topic here, but just had to make sure the Farmer's Market was getting the representation it deserves! =)
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted to hear that!

When I lived in Hollywood I used to stop by as often as possible. I can still smell the oranges in the air from the fresh juice stands. It SHOULD still be there. It's a part of Los Angeles history!

Can you get parking?

PS Mabbee keeping Paris Hilton away from the real Farmers Market is another reason to love The Farm...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I need to learn not to read your fantastic posts about breakfast before I've had my own!

Your descriptions of the food and ambience at The Farm is making me wish we had time to visit LA next time we're in the US. It sounds like 'our' kind of place.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's the first place that's hit all the right notes to MY kind of place (which include all the things I decribed + not throwing me out on my oh-so-distressed-jeans and Target T-s) so if you are in LA one day, you must let me take you. And David, get on down here, we'll put a load of laundry in the machines and toddle over for the roasted beet salad. It really was that good!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to see some of "Iron Chef America" last night, the theme was "Battle Breakfast". You can--or rather you can't imagine the spread, the sumptuous brunch/banquet. Complete with tall-as-your-husband pitchers of bloody marys. So I was primed for breakfast *before* I read Rainey's post!

Clotilde's recent recipe will be a good start,
I've never made French toast with brioche, only with plainer bread--but of course now I won't be happy 'til I do.
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a date Rainey!!

gingerpale---I'm waiting unti Friday when my Joav and Karen's bakery (Bread and Sons) make their fabulous challah bread----I think it will be a marvelous substitute for brioche--and a good step up from my usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: