Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Knitting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed she is quite a chick...from day one has been her own soul....almost aware from day one!

can remember when she was quite little saying we could send her to the moon and she'd not look back....I love the diversity of her interests...quirky, deep, wide-ranging...and such a wit....curious 'bout life

yep, a joy to be her Ma'ma (as she writes to me)....she enriches my life so much...

this coming week she'll sit alongside me as I slowly navigate my way around the shawl...goodness me where am I up to...haven't picked it up since last Winter...she will gently guide me ....

wonderful

perhaps Georgia we can piano muck around together!...I got to the "Danny Boy" stage..and stopped...as is ma habit...is that Sophie nodding? even though she is kms away I can FEEL her nodding!

hugs..this time fashioned from silks...mulitcoloured for fun
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many handy fellows out there...Knifethrower, I DO know what you mean. Only my pop was a Marine of a different color...he believed his woman should do his chores, the poor sap.

Your dad sounds like quite an industrious gentleman.

Georgia, I've been using Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook and following the instructions stitch-by-stitch as I learn new patterns. I highly recommend it. Also, have you looked into Meetup.com? There are quite a few kniting groups around my neighborhood. I've found it a wonderful way to meet people with like interests.

Brighidsdaughter, what do you mean by couture details on your "Cider House Rules" vest?

Madame, your family magic gives me a heavy sigh. So full of grace.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, sbj, for the "stitch 'n bitch" recommendation...i've gone back and forth about whether to buy it, so i think now i'll go ahead and get it...i've got a few good resources, but this one comes up again and again in discussion...

madame, did you guess that "danny boy" is one of my favorite songs? any time you feel like trying a duet, i've got a gorgeous grand piano gathering dust (and taking up large space) in my living room...just waiting for one of the girls to buy a house with a big enough space to house it...we talked about selling it once, whereupon Daughter #1 handed her father a $1 bill and said, "Consider this a downpayment." the dollar is taped to the underside of the piano and the piano is still in my living room...

...must decide now on a knitting/crocheting project to take to europe next month and check to be certain the airline will allow knitting needles...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/redtwinset/parispi.html

Madame forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I knew this was on the Internet and couldn't help sharing--it's the incredible red shawl of your daughter!
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in awe. absolute awe. sophie the knitting queen. brava, sophie, brava!!!
David

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! Absolutely stunning!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok gingerpale ma sweet....how did you find the shawl page????????????

have just shown Soph and she thinks it's a hoot she's making the C&Z knitting thread without actually BEin a C&Z threader...

yes, the shawl is exquisite....

time to check the carrot cake..my brother's b'day dinner tonight....

now that's what I'll do soon..post this recipe...every every every time I make it the eaters swoon Wink there seems to be something magical about it...I'm not joking
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sophie's "Paris Pi" is gorgeous!

SBJ, these are what I consider couture details on the "Cider House Rules" vest:
- faced hem in stockinette st. instead of ribbing at the bottom
- knitted-in pockets
- front/neck, armhole, and pocket bands that are knitted separately, then sewn on and turned over to form a facing for them
- subtle shaping of the front opening near the bottom that causes the hem to hang in a slight curve

Otherwise, it's a really plain man's vest. The pattern is from an old issue of Interweave Knits magazine.
georgia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madame...can't tell from the listed time on your last post...is your brother's b'day the 21st or 22nd? if the 21st, me too Laughing ...happy b'day to madame's brother (also QEII and Charlotte Bronte...also DC in my high school class, but you probably don't know him...)

in a rare turn of events, i didn't make dinner tonight for the assembled family...my son-in-law made a saffroned fish stew, followed by my daughter's chocolate pot de creme...heaven...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Georgia! Pot de creme I don't have, (nor saffron!) but I am trying J. Child's Bavarois A L'orange (Orange Bavarian Cream) tonight. If it works, it's your virtual B'day dessert.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my goodness, what a work of art! And very clever of you to find it, gingerpale. I was hoping we could see some photos of Soph's work. Thank you.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok Jude darling...(by the way I visited Honeysuckle Cottage at Bowen Mountain ....the rose Jude the Obscure is quite magnificent!...am imagining a rose Jude of SA)...

ah..back to topic please!

in the next few days will take some snaps, with Soph's permission of course! and post on this thread...

will be fun
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos as promised!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone with the solution to a problem...coffee spilt on one of the cotton squares....how how how to remove?

Soph's hands 'n her work ~ a few years back Sophie was given a batch of completed squares plus unworked cotton ...every so often I'd see her working on yet another square...now they're all done..time for the sewing...

teacher and student

learning to fix mistakes!...Soph ever so gently showed me how to turn wrong stitches into right stitches...with a crochet hook..I'm working on a shawl...how I love that shade!
I'll post some more in the next few days...of Soph's other work..
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="madameshawshank"]

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone with the solution to a problem...coffee spilt on one of the cotton squares....how how how to remove?[/quote="madameshawshank"]

Years ago (at an at-home dinner, fortunately), my mother-in-law spilled coffee down the front of her dress. She grabbed a bottle of club soda in one hand and me with the other hand and hauled me, bewildered, into the bathroom. "Unzip my dress," she commanded, turning around. She skinned out of her dress, laid it out in the bathtub, and poured club soda over the coffee stains. They vanished.

Would this work on older stains? Don't know--but I offer this for your consideration.
ST

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: knitting Reply with quote

I'm a long-time knitter (and general maker of stuff, including food). I thought some of you newbies might get a kick out of a couple of knitting sites/blogs that I think are inspiring:

http://masondixonknitting.com/
http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/
http://www.claudiasblog.net/

and one more for good measure:
http://helloyarn.com/

Oh the endless hours spent browsing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: