Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris' Top Baguette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Paris' Top Baguette Reply with quote

Clotilde lives in the right arondissment for the perfect baguette.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/mag5/art20070401/htm/tour-gastro-meilleure-baguette-paris-2007.htm

Happy Easter everyone
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Barbara. I've forwarded this article to a former student of mine, a Parisian who studied in the U.S. but who returned to Paris to live. (And why would he not, she asks...) We've continued to stay in touch and I know he'll appreciate it.

It also got me thinking about the bread situation in all of the places we live. Here in the Bay Area we are very fortunate to be able to buy really great bread from a number of sources. We are very spoiled. I do love Acme's baguettes, but La Farine nips at Acme's heels. (Donna, any comments?) How about everyone else? What's the commercial bread situation where you live? If it's not wonderful, are you a baker? (Those are not mutually exclusive circumstances...we do have wonderful bread and I am a baker as well.) Just curious.

Happy Easter. Happy Passover. Happy Spring, everyone.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that I agree with the judges. These are my local bakers and I do love the bread from them all.... except I would not rank Coqulicot quite so highly, more down the list when compared to the others. But that is just my opinion Wink
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, I must respectfully disagree with you about Coquelicot... I have also been lucky enough to live in Montmartre and try all the wonderful boulangeries and I still miss Coquelicot's baguettes something awful. Every time I go to Paris now I try to sneak in a trip there! But then, it all comes down to personal taste, doesn't it? Wink (For my money, the second-best baguette in Paris comes from Boris Portolan in the 19th, and I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who lives nearby who occasionally demands my cat-sitting services.)

Georgia, to answer your question - there is certainly good bread to be had in London, but you pay dearly for it. (as with everything else in London... Evil or Very Mad ) I'm lucky to live in a borough with a farmer's market with two good baker's stalls, so I've come to rely on them and my local Italian deli for bread, though none of them makes a baguette approaching what I used to get in Paris. I love baking bread, though, and I've promised myself that once I've submitted my dissertation (next month!!) I'll do it more often. And I daresay my first project will be baguettes...
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel (and everyone else), may I strongly suggest you try to find The Bread Baker's Apprentice, by Peter Reinhart. Also anything else by Peter Reinhart, but especially BBA, if you are a serious bread baker. This is a terrific guide through the various processes of bread baking, and the results are delicious. I met him several years ago when he taught a class where I worked. Not only were his samples wonderful, they actually work for the home cook as well. Also...slightly beside the point...he's a very nice man...

Don't know whether Amazon UK carries this book. It's fairly recent and a big award winner (IACP, James Beard), so perhaps you'll be able to find it.
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...sorry, Rachel...I just checked Amazon UK and I see that the book I recommended is, indeed, available, just at a price that would feed a small nation. 28.50 pounds is a lot, right? Maybe you can find a used copy someplace. Or put it on your birthday present list Smile
Rachel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the tip, Georgia, and for doing the Amazon spadework too! I must come clean though - I'm actually American (American by birth, British by choice, as was said of Whistler!) so getting hold of the book from the US Amazon site won't be a problem. I'll just ask my mother to get it for my birthday. Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

141 loaves in the competition, the only variable being the yeast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: