Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Oscar Governor's Ball Dessert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Oscar Governor's Ball Dessert Reply with quote

Me, I am not a fan of the Oscars (I think it's a 2-hour commercial punctuated by commercials for designer crap none of us will ever be able to have and relieved by the commercials that are, at least, honest about being commercials). OTOH, I am a fan of Sherry Yard (my daughter will be having a b-day cake this evening from Yard's Secrets of Baking). Sherry Yard is doing dessert for the banquet at the big Governor's Ball.

The LA Times Magzine did a story on it this morning. So here, if you feel like treating yourself like a star, is the recipe. If you want the visual you'll hafta look through the Times' website.

Almond and Espresso Torte with Velvet Chocolate Cream serves 12

Chocolate Cream
• 4 oz. Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
• 2 C heavy cream, divided in half
• 2 T sugar

Place the chocolate in a medium mixing bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring half the cream and the sugar to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and allow to infuse for 1 min. With a whisk, stirring from the center, whip together the hot cream and the chocolate until until smooth. Stir in the remaining cream, and whisk until homogeneous. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hrs. Whip the chocolate cream to medium-firm peaks.

Almond Cake
• 1 1/2 C almond meal (also known as almond flour)
• 1 1/2 C confectioners' sugar
• 1/3 C all-purpose flour
• 5 eggs, at room temp
• 4 egg whites, at room temp
• 2 T sugar
• 3 T butter, melted and kept warm

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a half-sheet cake pan (12 1/4"x 17" x 1") with parchment paper and coat with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal, confectioner's sugar and flour. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk, whip the eggs until light and a ribbon forms, about 8-10 min.

Whip the egg whites to soft peaks in a separate bowl. Stream in the sugar and whip to medium peaks. With a rubber spatula, alternate the whipped eggs and the dry ingredients one-third at a time into the whipped egg whites. Add the melted butter with the last addition of dry ingredients.

Pour into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the pan and continue cooking 6-7 more min until the cake is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool to room temp. (Can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.)

Espresso Syrup
• 1 C hot espresso
• 1/3 C brown sugar
• 2 T sugar
• 1 t lemon juice
• 1 t vanilla extract

Brew espresso and immediately add both sugars. Stir to dissolve. Add lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside

Assembly
Cut cake in half lengthwise and remove parchment paper. Place half on a large platter or the bottom of the half-sheet pan. Brush 1/2 C of espresso syrup on the bottom of the cake. Gently spread with half of the whipped chocolate cream. Then place the second cake layer on top of the whipped cream and brush with the remaining 1/2 C of espresso syrup until the layer is soaked. Spread remaining chocolate cream on top and smooth to the edges. Trim all four sides so that the edges are clean. Garnish with gold leaf in lieu of the "tabletop" Oscar. Slice and serve.

NOTE: T = tablespoon; t = teaspoon.

The cakes served at the Governor's Ball will be square individual servings topped with a thin chocolate wafer meant to look like a tabletop. Dotting the "tabletop" will be dabs of chocolate cream, chocolate sauce and coffee cream. Perched in the middle will be an edible undulating ribbon of golden sugar with the shape of an Oscar cut out.

The accompanying article notes that dessert at the first Oscar ceremony held in the Roosevelt Hotel in 1929 was one scoop of vanilla ice cream and one scoop of chocolate ice cream topped with some cherries. Shocked
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Oscar's food.. Reply with quote

Rainey, 'tis a bit late for me to prepare this for tonight...however I will make it sooner than later!...ah, the Oscars...I know they are full of it...however, for me, there's something wonderful about seeing that group of people who together make such magnificent films..even though the very idea of "Best" film or actor or....is madness....

still, I love the collection of flim folk....and viewing it is a little like saying thank you from me in Oz...

I can still remember Jane Fonda, years and years ago accepting her Oscar, speaking of how much she loved the process of acting...that only to consider it if you're prepared to do it morning noon and night...crumbs, sounds a little like me Cool

My family knows there is absolutely NO Oscar news until Mama sits down and enjoys the surprises...
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you, by chance, get the series Live from the Actors' Studio in Oz? I bet you'd love it. It's a long discussion with the greats of film embedded in a filmography of their work. At the conclusion, acting, writing and directing students get to ask questions directly.

The actors are quite candid and, when you hear the best of them, you hear how they try to use drama to convey the essential human truths from other lives, other experiences and points of view. It can be enlightening and even moving.

The Oscars, OTOH, tho they purport to be a celebration of film, don't even permit the people who make the films (as tho film could be made by a handful of celebrities alone) an opportunity to say a word about them. It's push the designers, smile for the cameras and pick up your $10K goodie bag. Bah humbug!

But (said with great sincerity), you enjoy it. And do look for James Lipton and Live from the Actors' Studio.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: shadows.. Reply with quote

oh indeed Rainey..all that...the heavy with $s goody bags....the starvation and such to be just so...Liv Tyler was going to be her own "just so" last year..crumbs, or was it the year before...however whatever or whoever got to her and diet she did...clone she became...where are the Rubens women I'd like to know...where the hell is some flesh....

look at hands and eyes ~ they never lie...the smiles might look dazzling, yet the hands/eyes are the giveaway. That I'm here, yet not here look...

and as for the film making process seemingly being a few person bandwagon, Rainey, every so often a gem of a speech raises its glorious face and we are treated to magic ~ that's what I wait for ~ the articulate utterance acknowledging that many many hands went into the making of film x or y..fingers crossed for Oscar night 2005
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: