Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chestnuts and party food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Chestnuts and party food Reply with quote

I recently went to a farmers market and somehow found myself with 5kg of chestnuts, they are in season in this part of the world. They are sitting in the fridge patiently waiting to be used. So far I have made chestnut soup, but that has only used up about half a kilo. I would love any suggestions on what to do with the rest. I found a recipe for castagnaccio (not sure of spelling) which is an Italian chestnut cake that has rosemary in it. It looks interesting, has anyone ever had it or made it? If so, what did you think.

Also, I am having a lunch for my family next week, there will be about 30 people. I would love some ideas for things I can make a day or two ahead of time. So far I think I have the meat and dessert sorted out but would welcome any suggestions, I really need some ideas for salad and veggie dishes.

Thanks for your help.
Acadiana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast some chestnuts and have them with port. Perhaps it's too warm out for that, but it's the only way I've ever made them.
emilyj

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself in a similar situation recently when I found a stall selling chestnuts near my home. I made chestnut soup (which was really good) and chestnut gnocchi with mushrooms and tomato sauce (just add some chopped up chestnut kernels and add to any potato gnocchi recipe). I want to get hold of some more now to try out a recipe for chestnut bread that I found in a cookbook the other day. I have heard that you can also roast them with your meat or add them to a salad. There are so many things you can do with them. Just make sure that when you are removing the skins to make a good-sized slit in the skin first otherwise they will explode!!
Acadiana

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, try this recipe for Chestnut-Carrot Soup:

http://recipes.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=37166

It sounds really yummy and nutty. If you're at a loss for recipe ideas, I highly recommend the Better Homes & Gardens website (bhg.com). Ever used their recipe search engine before? Searching "chestnuts" brings back some goodies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: