Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sharpening Tool for a Global

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Sharpening Tool for a Global Reply with quote

After much research, I've finally decided to upgrade my current (horribly lacking and dull dull dull) chef's knife and buy a Global G-2 chef's knife. (I'm so happy!) I want to take care of it properly and there is one confusing issue: how to sharpen it.

I've read that "Japanese knives are sharpened using a much smaller angle than for instance European knives and are sometimes sharpened asymmetrically." Some people say to use water sharpener made especially for Japanese knives....some recommend a waterstone....some a ceramic stone, or a diamond coated sharpening steel.

I want to buy the right tool but some of them are pretty expensive...almost as much as the knife itself. If anything, I'm leaning towards the Japanese Waterstone because of the reasonable price. Can anyone who owns this knife tell me what you use and if it was the right choice? Or should I have the sharpening done professionally (and how much does that run in Euro)? Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks for your help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gingerprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sharpening Tool for a Global Reply with quote

I own several Global knives, I love them they hold their edge better than any other knife I have used. Also the blade itself is very thin, and not wedge shaped llike many other manufacturers, which it makes it much easier to do chop things very finely even using the larger chefs knifes.

I have a tried a variety of different devices to keep my knifes razor sharp, I have to confess that I am a bit anal in this respect. It may be my own ineptitude but i was never able to get a perfectly sharp edge using a sharpening stone or steel. I ended up purchasing a Chef's Choice 2-Stage Professional Diamond Hone Manual Knife Sharpener in addition to being virtually idiot proof for clutzes like myself it produces excellent results every time without overwear.

I still use my stone occasionally to re-sharpen knifes but the Chefs Choice to hone the edge almost daily.

Let us know what you decide on.
Mia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: chef's choice Reply with quote

gingerprince:

Can you please tell me if this is similar to the model you are recommending? I know the text is in German but you can take a look at the photo. I haven't been able to find this particular brand in my local shops but did find a few on ebay.de.

Thank you for the advice! I almost purchased the waterstone but I'm glad that I waited.

Mia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic and one where I'm in the dark -- I don't own a knife sharpener.

My father used to sharpen his knives using a wheel (shapped like a yo-yo) with a central slot containing the abrasive surfaces. You operated it by placing the wheel on the counter top and the knife in the slot and rolling it back and forth a few times.

Maybe these things are common, but I've never seen another.
gingerprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: chef's choice Reply with quote

Mia,

It works under the same principle as my sharpener of creating a 'multistage' bevelled edge on the knife which is supposedly stronger and longer lasting. There are two differences to bear in mind.
1. Mine is manual and this is electric, my only concern with this is that the electric version might be over abrasive.
2. This creates a 3 stage edge while mine creates a 2 stage edge.

I did find the Chefs Choice available for sale in the UK - they say they ship world wide.
Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend (ever) a Chefs Choice knife sharpener. You will simply grind your edges away.

One thing to keep in mind, Global kniver come with a "face edge" versus a traditional "beveled edge" that you find on Wusthof and Henckels. A Chefs Choice sharpener puts a beveled edge on knives, and if you use it on a Global, you competely ruin the reason you bought the knife in the first place (for the sharper edge).

Global sells a couple different sharpening tools that replicate the process of using a whetstone. They go by the name of MinoSharp Plus in the U.S., I'm not sure what they are called in Europe.

Using a whetstone is ultimately the best way to sharpen any knife, but it takes practice and is a little intimidating at first. I recommend checking out the sharpening tips on Japanese-knife.com. If you are really inspired, order their DVD on how to sharpen knives on a whetstone, it's very helpful.

I also recommend the knife sharpening thread on the eGullet culinary school (sorry, don't have the link). It's very enlightening.

And, by the way, I used to work for Global, but I've also been a cutlery buyer, so I'm not completely biased. Ok, well, maybe a little.
Mia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: MinoSharp Reply with quote

Gingerprince: I looked at that site but with the dollar/pound exchange, the sharpener comes out to $51 -- not so bad but the "shipping worldwide" costs (not surprisingly) nearly as much as the sharpener itself.

After give it further thought, I am leaning towards the MinoSharp Water knife sharpener. It is specifically recommended for Global knives, as indicated by Bruce (thanks Bruce!). Now I have to hunt one down in Germany.

Anyway, thank you both for your advice -- it was very helpful!

Update: P.S -- I looked on ebay.de and found the MinoSharp!
Mats

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: E-Gullet Guide to Sharpening Reply with quote

Here is the link to the E-Gullet posting http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=108&t=26036&

Using a Japanese wet stone is very simple and always effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: