Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Readin' writin' & radicchio--& ratatouille,& ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Readin' writin' & radicchio--& ratatouille,& ... Reply with quote

Have any of you ever thought to yourself "I could write a cookbook!" ? Or "I should write a cookbook" ? Or "Someday I WILL write a .."?
Do you think it would be easy? (Be honest!) Anybody ever actually start one--other than in your mind? Anybody finish one? And then what happened?

I'd like to have a no-fail bank of out-of-this-world cream soup recipes--that would be my focus if I wanted to write something down for the rest of the world.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought about writing down my recipes for my children. So much is in my head and the thought of having to measure and weigh everything seems all abit much.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once compiled a community cookbook for an online group who collected Christmas ornaments. It was our Christmas present to one another. I printed out copies of the collection and mailed them to everyone.

Not the same as authoring a cookbook. But that database that I used to accumulate the submissions became my personal recipe database that has all our favorites for the kids to have.
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing of this discussion is perfect for me. For a long time, I've been wanting to compile a collection of family recipes. I managed a small version of "Mom's recipes" for each of my daughters when they went off to college, paying particular attention to those dishes I thought they'd actually attempt under college conditions. However, my grander vision is to be in touch with all of my relatives, mostly female but not exclusively, married/single, by blood or marriage, three adult generations, and invite them to submit any recipes they'd like to share with the rest of us. I'd be the one responsible for coordinating, editing, etc.

How I would actually bring all of this information to fruition is still TBD, but I continue to think it's a good idea. For every recipe that's just so-so, I'm sure there will be a gem that should not be lost. Besides, I once read that it takes three generations after immigration to begin serious loss of a family's culture and traditions (a real issue in the USA if not in your homeland)--starting with loss of the native language. My family is just about there. I'm a big believer in the links between food-culture-tradition, etc. So...one day soon now I'll be writing that letter to my family and getting this project off the mark finally. I think I owe it to my daughters, nieces/nephews, grandchildren. Some of the food traditions passed along in those recipes will be the only connection they'll have to people I knew and loved (maybe even to me some day) and the places and traditions from which they came.

I know there are many ways I could choose to "publish" these. If anyone out there has had any success with a specific method, I'd appreciate the input.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I typed the original post in this thread I was thinking of commercial cookbooks (because of Clotilde's current smash hit of course). But Georgia, I think your heartfelt post will inspire everyone who reads it.
Seems like there are 2 parts to the project: contacting relatives, then actually compiling the book. I hope you are shocked and overwhelmed by the big response!

(It would make me so mad if, after completing the thing, Aunt Julia or Uncle Alton belatedly send a few great ones..)
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia- I soooo agree! And even the so-so recipes that don't inspire you may be just what someone else thinks of as comfort food.

Generations will thank you. AND you will have an awesome database. Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on my own collection for years, but only seriously for the last year or so. I have a small army of recipe testers and a best friend who's an english professor to edit. The next step is to send out proposals. I'm not going to lie, I am procrastinating because this prospect totally freaks me out. I have ripped up so many recipes, gone with different themes and even different recipe formats, I can't help but wonder if I will ever be happy with it. I think my husband would appreciate if I decided I was happy with it.

P.S. One of my favorite recipes in there is for ratatouille

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Erin I would love to add to my collection--of cookbooks written by C&Z members Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

"It's hot ham water."
Acadiana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to write a cookbook for those on bodybuilding diets. I don't think any exist!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: