Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New France, very old France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: New France, very old France Reply with quote

Congratulations to the new French president-elect.
85% of eligible voters voted--is this commendable/formidable or what??
But here is something from waaaay back--the Bayeux Tapestry, animated! An embroidered looong cloth, it tells the story of the last (about a thousand years ago) successful invasion of England. The invaders were French.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDaB-NNyM8o
simona

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Question
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona? Why the question marks?
Nicki

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonne Chance M. Sarkozy!

What on earth where you searching for when you came across that link?!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the link at a blog called "The Daily Dish". (Not about food, it's politics.) The author is Andrew Sullivan, from England, now living and writing in the US.
I thought it was an excellent little history lesson, and since France made history yesterday by electing a new president...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85% of eligible voters voted--is this commendable/formidable or what??

Wow, that's an impressive turn-out. In Australia we probably have about 95% or more vote in Federal and State elections, but that's only because it's compulsory to vote here. Australians are so slack (or you can insert laid-back, relaxed or some other compliment here if you prefer), if it wasn't compulsory then no-one would turn up!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we were leaving our hotel room this morn, I caught a little piece of the President-to-be's maman speaking..only a few seconds...oh how proud she appeared of her lad!!!

I wish France and all who live there all the best...a heartfelt wish...

How lovely to be imagining hugging France!
simona

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gingerpale,
I just couldn't figure out the connection ( if there was meant to be any) between the first part of your post concerning the elections and the second one mentionning the 1066 invasion of England by french William the conqueror.
BTW, the tapestry is indeed wonderful as is the little medieval town of Bayeux.
Like you, I wish the new president success in fulfilling his promises.

No more war.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona--Oh I was afraid the Bayeux Tapestry video had offended you because it shows a battle ("no more war"=no more battles).
You've been to the "little medieval town of Bayeux"-- sounds so charming, much history! I remember I sent you this (like your avatar) pic: http://msglaze.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/russianddolls.JPG
and you were able to pinpoint the shop in Paris where these beauties could be found..
I love living vicariously through C&Zers Wink

Judy--what makes you think no one would vote if voting was voluntary?? Maybe you'd be surprised?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, I know the Australian psyche. Very few of us vote in non-compulsory elections, such as local council elections. Perhaps if we had a different model, where it was never compulsory to vote, people might be more motivated. Now, the attitude is very much: 'Oh, it's not compulsory to vote, I won't bother'.

Here's an interesting comparison:

In 1958, when Australia had a population of around 8 million, 300,000 people were members of political parties. Today, less than 30,000 out of a population of over 20 million are members of political parties.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote Judy, even if it wasn't compulsory and I think most of my friends and family would too. I remember registering to vote on my eighteenth birthday and then proudly voting in the next election that came up (which wasn't really an election but actually the 1999 referendum). You can't really compare federal and state elections to local council elections. I don't vote in those elections either but that is mainly because I don't pay rates (I rent) and I move every 12 months. Federal and state elections have a lot more impact on my life and the things that I care about- like Gingerpale, I think you would be surprised.

I wonder if voting wasn't compulsory and (presumably) only the people who really cared about the outcome of the election voted, would our government be the same...

The Bayeux tapestry link is fantastic- thank you
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh all this talk of Bayeux! I simply had to return to my travel journal of last year...to the Bayeux page!

Walking into the space where the tapestry is displayed I lost breath for an instant...sooooooooooooooooooooo long! My eyes got as close as allowed...a wondrous treat for an embroiderer...

This is what I wrote that night: loved the patchiness ~ holes ~ bishop with his fish ~ the hand of the daughter given ~ heads horses tumbling ~ all but the sounds ~ arrow in Harold's eye ~ hand of God to bless the church ~ HALEY'S COMET!! ~ took me 120 paces to walk it (I was intrigued at the end..so I walked back to the beginning and paced...) ~ Charles and Diana ~ guess they were sad by then

A rather fancy plaque noting that Charles and his wife visited ...a photo as well...I thought of their lives...how public it all was...that's another story ...

There is a small and delightful lace shop in Bayeux...we saw Marie Helene Santiago at work. There was a photo of her with Jacques Chirac ~ haute couturiers use her lace...beyond exquisite

We were there on a weekend...so...of course a wedding! There is nothing quite like a French wedding....those hats! Smile

Bayeux...ah!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Madame! When I mentioned vicarious thrills from C&Z, this is what I meant!

Judy, it has actually just for a nanosecond entered my brain, this silly thought: Australia is so sunny so safe so perfect just swimming and shrimp and exotic blossoms and buildings, doesn't matter which government policies are in place.

But I know better of course, and wonder if voters educate themselves about issues/candidates because they know they must vote? I live in a land of great apathy too and I'm afraid I know the answer to that..
Well, good for France--they had a clear choice, as America will have soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: