Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pecan Crusted Chicken with Apple Cider Sauce
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Pecan Crusted Chicken with Apple Cider Sauce Reply with quote

This was a pleasant surprise--I'd never had chicken with apple before! It is from Sundance, a ski resort in Utah.

6 chicken breasts
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
oil for pan browning of chicken

Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 shallots, sliced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 quart cider (I used half hard cider, half apple juice)
2 cups demi-glace (beyond my skills--used Knorr demi-glace mix)
1/2 cup cream
salt and pepper

Mix the nuts and crumbs. Mix the eggs and milk. Dredge chicken in flour, then dip in egg mixture, then coat with nut mixture. Fry in oiled pan until brown, then bake in 350 F oven until done.

Sauce
Saute shallots and garlic in oil until soft, add cider/juice and
reduce to half by simmering. Add remaining ingredients, simmer until thickened a bit.
Serve. Not bad!
Sauce reduction is important--concentrates the apple flavor.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there gingerpale ~ NOTHING'S beyond your skills...you've the C&Z fanclub as support...
Wink

kitchen hugs
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh Gingerpaaaaale,

I am SO all over this one!

Thanks for sharing it!

Just got me a boatload of nuts and such from Trader Joe's on the last trip back east- got some hot and spicy pecans to use!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knifethrower, I want to hear your accent Smile ...the wondrous roll of your words
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame thanks for the vote of confidence! Next time I'll glace and demi and mirepoix and whistle whilst I do it!

Knifethrower's accent? I imagine it's 'highly educated Jewish girl', with a few fart joke trills thrown in. (She has a great blog, and we have corresponded a bit, so I'm just guessing!)
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a questions from an Antipodean who doesn't know these things....

What's 'hard cider'?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
What's 'hard cider'?

Jude, it's cider you don't argue with.

I imagine Knifethrower's accents to be rich, warm and dancing - like sunlight through leaves. I have to say that, she's a knifethrower after all!!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, hard cider is fermented apple juice--it usually has a higher alcohol content than beer (at least American 3.2% beer), but is not as strong as wine. It's fairly unusual here, I think more popular in England? (Where it apparently talks things over with Griffin.) I had my first taste when I made this dish--it's delicious on its own.

Clotilde used it in her "Cider Stewed Pork Loin..Roast", she called it cidre brut.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gingerpale. My English in-laws drink alcoholic cider on the very rare occasions that they drink, so we usually have a couple of small bottles of Strongbow draught in our cupboard. Would this be okay to use?

Perhaps a better question might be..

What did you use (ie what brand), was it sweet, draught or something else, and where did you buy it?

Gee, so many questions for just one ingredient. Reminds me of the 'lemonade' debate we had a while back with the No-Fail Scones. To save time searching back through the archives, Australian lemonade = Sprite or 7-Up.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Judy--where did I buy it? I bought it in the Utah State Liquor Store, the only place where it's legal to sell it! Sorry, I forget other places have different liquor laws, the question was not expected.
The sauce should taste like apple--I think that's the only thing required--I don't know why an alcoholic drink is specified. (ANY more knowledgeable cooks feel free to correct me!!) The Strongbow, if it tastes and smells like apples..fine. I used "Hornsby's amber draft hard cider..blah blah" Supposed to look British and old fashioned, but made in Modesto California. Our liquor stores have a good selection of wine (because people have asked!), but this is the only hard cider I found.

I looked up the lemonade/scone thread (you knew I would!) and it was delightful--*almost* the very first appearance of Simona!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply keep this cider chat goin'...I'm a happy gal...love love love the stuff..
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you GUUUUUUUYs!

Smile

Sunlight dancing through leaves? Highly educated Jewish girl plus fart jokes? Wondrous rolls? Youse awll flattah me!

I liken my voice to a very well made espresso- a low softness on the front, barely audible at times, never acrid or sour. A middle of sturdy chocolate and spice for support, and a finish of smashed wild berries and smoke- for that final, unpredictable parting shot of, "Uh-oh. What's she going to say next...?".

If my voice were roles and actors, I'd be a blend of Alan Alda's Hawkeye Pierce and The Nanny, of Fran Drescher Fame.

And yes, fart jokes are standard issue equipment!

Can't we all just meet at Gingerpale's place for potluck dinner and gab all night long???
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh knifethrower-- when I am threatened with guests I tend to have to buy all new underwear (for bravery, not hygiene) and repaint the whole house. It takes me hours to get the pattern centered on the pillowcases. Fear and cleaning product smells permeate what will be a very mediocre luncheon or dinner, believe me!

Interesting topic though--what kind of hosts/hostesses are you?
When you trot out your best, (and buy extra) are you showing off, or being hospitable?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale...I'll come to your place at some unknown day to you...joyously take ye away from your home for goodness knows how long...wine 'n bubbles 'n whatever else I can think of to pour into glasses...after a while I'd take you back...C&Z would have arrived...the feasting would have begun...and you, dear gingerpale, would be all aglow at the sight of it all...

'n then the fear etc would be no more!

mark my words dear one...you know not the potluck day Wink C&Zerswill come bearing their signature dishes...I'll make churros and the chocolate sauce...'n bubbles I will bring..

hugs (dipped in chocolate)
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Madame I think almost every post you've ever written has made me laugh--but this one has me in tears. Merci bien.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: