Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Big Easy- New Orleans!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinda

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a native New Orleanian (living in VA now for 30 yrs) but YES go to Commanders....it never dissapoints...and yes, all my friends & relations still in the city ....and there are many.....say it is indeed dangerous....but it always was....you just don't go out alone walking at night....take a cab...and enjoy the food!!! I miss the "snowballs" sorta like shaved ice but a consistency unlike anywhere else and hundreds of choices of syrups.....u have to know where a small neighborhood stand is located tho....something tourists don't usually find.....good luck & happy eating
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Jen.

I have not been in a few years, and don't know what restaurants have made it, but my repeat favorites are long time N'awlins standards, and rather touristy, so I would bet you can find them. All in the Quarter, so safe and well populated.

You must have:
- an oyster po'boy at Acme Seafood (dive of a diner)
- a mufaletta sandwich from Central Market (take out)
- beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde on your last morning, just prior to your airport taxi.

Have fun!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from The Big Easy!

It was uneventful getting here, thankfully. I had time today to mess about and walk the streets with another person from northwestern Montana (Lucky moi, I do not have to go it too alone anymore! Hooray!),and it was a gas recognizing some of the old names I had heard of: Antoines, Brennan's, Court Of Two Sisters, and a few more I can't recall.

We dined at Brennan's Red Fish, had the namesake fish dish with crawfish butter sauce, tasso ham and fried potatoes. I think I hear my Lipitor calling me... Smile

My new friend had a "Category Five" hurricane with dinner, which before drinking he made me promise to ensure he would not go home to the family with a tattoo, any piercings or photos of himself in any state of attire disarray or removal. Tomorrow, we will meet at Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee. I hope to get a photo of the sidewalk under the tables. It looks like a baby powder bottle exploded under each seating area!

Had I not met up with a compadre, I'd still have gone to dine on my own.

Thanks for the well wishes. If you want a better play by play, I will post it on my blog (see my address on my profile). I don't wanna bore anyone or misuse the forum and thread.

Cheers!
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did I get to the party late!!!!!!! sorry fr not checking earlier, Jen check your personal messages as i will write you dirrectly, giving you phone #'s etc to get in touch w/me....so sorry I don't check here regularly....but things have been hetic...

I hope you are in town through Sarurday (my next market) I hope to see you!!!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jen, you've got 2 guys in New Orleans and a fiance back home--um, what is it you were worried about again?
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Heavens!

Ginger, Blue, Melinda, Rachel, Erin, Ripeness, Judy and Pestoman- you are all my heroes! I deeply thank you!

The plan du jour is Cafe du Monde in about ten minutes, then to the gym, work for a few hours, then to hunt down and kill dinner. I am looking into reservations for Commanders for tomorrow, if not Two Sisters, as I will no doubt miss all three brunch opportunities, unless I get an early lunch break.

Mr. Pestoman, you have not missed a minute of the party at all! Its just getting started! I am grateful for your hospitality and help- I think the market is within walking distance to me, and Ihope to run over at lunch on saturda and greet you formally. Please jump to knifethrower1.blogspot.com for ways to reach me. I tried to post a private msg, but the server appears on the fritz.

Everyone, again- if I could have you all with me, I'd gladly dine with you anywhere!

Must be going now, I hear fried carbohydrates calling me...
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale,

Add one more hot guy to the list...PESTOMAN!

Just spoke to the lovely gentleman a little bit ago, and we are going to rub noses on Saturday morning, early- like before cows get up. I have classes that morning, so an early run in his direction is in order.

What a lovely way to meet people. Clotilde, you are a great facilitator of goodness!

Off to eat more fish now. Oh, and maybe some more of that fried stuff...I hear I missed La Brad at CdM by a few hours. Oh well, he'll have to call me next time he needs a coffee buddy.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunting down dinner, eh? I knew the Nutria would tempt you.

Ha, ha, ha!!

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knifethrower, have a bon temps roulez good time tonight, your people-watching evening in New O.
I know Pesto Man only from reading his posts here, but I'm pretty sure he's worth getting up early for!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I TOTALLY forgot about the nutria. If they can lead me to vegetables I am all over tracking them down for a source of vitamins and minerals... And heck, as long as its not fried, I bet I could use some protein while I am at it...

Hey, BlueDog, I left you a prezzie on my website!

Tomorrow, I jog over to meet PestoMan. Methinks I will adore him and want to take him home with me as a memento!

Cheers!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Adieu bon temps! Reply with quote

Yesterday morning I trotted down to see the smallest, funkiest market I have ever seen! I chatted with Pesto Man as he set up, happily sipping a cuppa joe he graciously offered. I got to watch the market and its personality unfolding as the sun rose, mixing faces, fruit, vegetables, fish and flowers.

The Man tended well to me, sending me off with fragrant tomatoes, a jar of hot sauce (natch!) and a precious tub of chipotle pesto that will hopefully make it back to Brian in good condition. I had the opportunity to return after classes and mingle with the natives, partake of my very first avocado creamsicle (it sounds so wrong, but tastes soooooo right!), and watch the Roller Girls sudsing up hounds for a benefit dogwash. It was a great breath of fresh air for me, and I grateful for the opportunity to have see it, thanks to Clotilde and Pesto Man!

Now I happily bid the Crescent City farewell with the only appropriate sendoff there could possibly be: Brunch at Commander's Palace before moseying back to the airport. What a cool trip this has been!
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was certainly my pleasure to meet knifethrower in person, and I believe we hit it off well ( as I am such a shy-retiring type Wink ) only sorry that she couldn't stay longer, but alas work reared its ugly head....much thanks to her stopping (not to mention her helping with set-up and tear-down) and as always kudos to clotilde, for creating this international net-work of friends united by a love of good food
swirlingnotions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RipenessIsAll wrote:
I recommend:

The Bon Ton on Magazine Street, CBD -
Have a blast and laissez les bons temps rouler!

Amy

Amy -- your post was great! I heartily second the Bon Temps (I used to play there with my band when I was in college!) and Mothers (try the 'debris sandwich' . . . it's the fabulous stuff that falls off the roast beef and into the gravy) and Magazine Street in general.

A lot of my favorite spots have closed since Katrina, but here are a few others I'd add to the list:

* Peristyle (French Quarter)
* Casamentos
* Parasol's
* Upperline
* Jacque Imo's
* Bayona
* Herbsaint

I'd also say that NO can be a dicey place, especially post-Katrina, from what I've heard. I'd recommend not going anywhere you feel uncomfortable going alone (use the concierge of the hotel to counsel you about what areas to watch out for), not to be out alone at nutty hours, and not to act skittish or uncomfortable when walking down the street. I've lived in a lot of cities (including NO) and have always felt that one of the best defenses is looking like you belong.

That said, have a FANTASTIC trip!!!

{ www.swirlingnotions.com }
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: