Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cookbooks for Kids!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Cookbooks for Kids! Reply with quote

There are plenty of cookbooks out there that are supposed to be directed at kids and I was just wondering if anyone had a particular one in mind that would suit and 8 year old (my grand-daughter Amara)?
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- I wonder if it will help you to know that there is a cookbook out there that might be perfect. It's a compilation of recipes drawn from the food described in children's literature. I got it for my girls when they were young.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the title and I've been searching all day for the book to no avail. Perhaps this link will provide you with a direction to go. http://childrensbooks.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=childrensbooks&zu=http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~kvander/ChildrenLit/cookbooks.html

I think the one my girls had was Won'drous Fare by Lyn Stallworth. It may or may not still be in print but I hope you find something that delights you and your niece.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, this probably isn't exactly what you had in mind when you asked for a childrens' recipe book, but I couldn't resist ....

Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes

Felicity Dahl & Josie Fison

A collection of recipes based on food and drink featured in Roald Dahl's books. They include mudburgers, hot frogs, lickable wallpaper, stinkbugs' eggs and crispy wasp stings. Step-by-step instructions are accompanied by colour photographs and illustrations of every dish.
ISBN 0099724219
Format PaperBack
Category Children's Non-Fiction and Poetry

Personally, the idea of lickable wallpaper holds great appeal.

Try Amazon.
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Rainey thanks for the link, I shall check it out soon! As for Wond'rous Fare (a gorgeous title don't you think?) is out of print but I was able to snag one at a good price from amazon.ca.

Judy, what an eclectic group of minds are at work here! Who would have thought of a Roald Dahl cookbook.. I skip the cookbook for now but get her reading some Roald Dahl, then the cook book could be a surprise!
Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David! Mollie Katzen of Moosewood fame has written two cookbooks for children:

Pretend Soup
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1883672066/qid=1110152989/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/104-5950635-1468750?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
This is written for pre-schoolers and up and has written and step-by-step illustrated receipes.

Honest Pretzels
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1883672880/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-5950635-1468750?v=glance&s=books&st=*
This one is for 8 and up (so perhaps more suitable for Amara). It does more complicated things: yeasted dough, pastries, mincing, separating eggs, and kitchen math (timing, estimations, etc).

I've never used either but I love to curl up on the floor of the Union Square Barnes & Noble with them! They're beautiful and seem to take kids very seriously. And they seem to be written for kids who need a little adult help, rather than the other way around.
David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the tips, I will look into them. I have a Moosewood and really like it!

WOND'ROUS FARE arrived in the post while I was away. What a lovely lovely, fun Book. thanks Rainey.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, aren't you clever to come up with a copy!

I'm delighted if I was able to help and equally delighted to see you back again. I have enjoyed this site thoroughly and the ranks seem, alas, to be thinning out. Shocked
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

If she's at all interested in the American Girls Dolls collection, they also have great cookbooks. Also, Chez Panisse has a kids' cookbook, I think called Chez Fanny. That one is beautiful and half full of stories. As a little girl it was definitely my favorite. It also doesn't talk down to the kids which is a great thing.
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Lady Amalthea! She is currently going through a bit of a post-dolly phase, sigh, they sure give them up early now (she actually put away all her Barbies!!) But the Chez Fanny sounds interesting, I'll see if I can track one down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: