Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pesto Man in Paris (part deux)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie and Pesto Man - I hope you have a wonderful time at my practice Sweet 16 Paris Birthday Bash. See you there in 2008 for the second one.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'n since I'm extra clever at imagining...guess what I'm imagining as I type...oh yes indeed! Question a gathering of the gang
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just going to be so much fun

Will take photos of the practice birthday party so you can see if you approve Barbara.

Madame... perhaps I can relight the birthday candle??? That would be a nice touch and you would be there by proxy.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,

I'll sit very quietly in the corner with either a proxy or a cat on my lap just so long as I can be there to hear the conversation and feel a purring body beneath my fingers!!

Pesto Man,

Only you can save Barbara from turning 17!! After all, it's a superhero kinda thing. Enjoy Paris... if only so you can say, 'We'll always have Paris, we lost it until you came to...' Wink
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys rock. Looking forward to the photos. Of course all forums members all invited to the 2008 celebrations in Paris. You have 12 months to get organised.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara darlin'...doth thou have a month in mind...it will help me focus even more!
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame July 16th the party is.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastille Day 2008 at the Champs de Mars for the fireworks, then on to Barbara's 16th birthday on July 16. Wouldn't that be a blast! Hope we can all make it.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilia it will be a three day celebration as we have my husbands 60th on the 15th as well. We are then invited to a friends 70th in Italy on the 23rd July and you could all come to that too.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double birthday party!!!! Very Happy

Griffin, of course you can join in... only problem is that you would need to bring your own cat... Crying or Very sad no furbaby yet, but maybe, just maybe, there will be a furry and four legged addition to the household by next year.

My fingers are crossed and I am hoping desperately to adopt a puss soon. We are just waiting till the annual summer "dumping" when people go on holidays, and will adopt a poor abandoned puss from the cat society.

Have been thinking of names, and of course I am still in love with the one I saw while in NO with Pestoman in Jan... Lucullus.

We are just going to have such a good time this summer... and next!!! Laughing
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,

Definitely get a rescue cat, but for naming, might I suggest you first read T.S. Eliot on How to Ad-dress a Cat from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. Tho' Lucullus sounds like a great name for a cat, just don't call him Lucky - that would be asking for trouble!! If he is a prowler, you could call him Sher which is Hindi for Tiger. Or from Eliot's book, you could call him Growltiger or Rumpleteazer!

But what if the cat is a Queen? Then I suggest Colette who loved cats... or possibly Clotilde, even tho' she's not fond of cats. Or if a rescued cat, then how about Cosette?

Well if I can't sit with a cat on my lap, then how about a proxy instead? They are very peacable creatures and can be let into the house by leaving a window open and a pie on the table. They won't eat the pie, they just like the scent. Unlike the haggis which is of course a wild and fractious creature that has been known to bite when bagpipes are played - badly.
BG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby align myself with the International Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Cat Lovers! I grew up with a big orange tiger since my mother also liked cats. In times when I couldn't have a cat, such as student years and military service, I got to know every cat for blocks around. Now, we've had a beautiful classic tabby for 17 years -- adopted him at the tender age of about 4 months (he was brought into a local animal shelter as a stray). His background is glossy black, and his bulls-eye patterns on each side are picked out in grey, which looks like silver; in some places he shades off to a kind of beige, which looks like gold against the black background. And what got him adopted was his enormous rumbling purr, even when he weighed less than 4 pounds ... now, if you get his motor running, you can hear him purring away for 15 or 20 minutes, even from across a room.

Cats are fascinating creatures and each one has its own interesting habits and preferences.

The Chemist in the Kitchen (sometimes)
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaagh I am allergic! I think they are perfect creatures, will pet and hold one every time I get a chance but within 5 minutes my eyes are streaming and I'm hating my face for being so itchy! Here's a favorite picture, called "Thomas in the City"

http://www.geniusloci.co.uk/images/cheepen2.jpg The artist's name is Cheepen, David I think.

I've heard they've bred a cat that is "non-allergenic", but I've also heard it ain't true. Seems like it would be common knowledge if it were true, yes?
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This business of naming cats is so tricky. You have to live with them and study their personalities and you have to audition many names until you have exactly the right one. Then a repairman comes in the house and when told THE name says "oh, I would have guessed it was ____" and to your great chagrin, he's RIGHT.

Don't ask me how I know...

gingerpale, we have 3 — 2 of them longhairs. And a central vacuum system. By cruel twist of fate, the person who has to come unclog our vacuum lines is dreadfully allergic. Even if he only encounters the fur from the garage where they've never been but where their fur collects in the lines in great wads.

Man! Do I feel bad sending him away sneezing and tearing. Shocked
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG,

Being catless at the moment, I can appreciate a loud purr! We had a cat who would get so comfortably settled on a lap that you could feel his purr loosening your bones!! Nothing like it. Your tabby sounds wonderful, I'd love to meet him. I am slowly making friends with many of the cats around our home too. A big fluffy ginger and white tom who is utterly soft, a very playful young black cat with eyes like green moons and a little way along the street a pretty little queen who is a mixture of colours but has immaculate white paws.

Gingerpale,

I am sooo sorry you're allergic to cats, but they are good to watch from a distance too! My favourite image of a cat is a print called 'The Large Cat' by Cornelis Visscher at the NGA in Washington DC. A very peaceful tabby in a Buddha pose with his front paws tucked neatly under him... and a cheeky mouse behind him!

Rainey,

Quote:
This business of naming cats is so tricky. You have to live with them and study their personalities and you have to audition many names until you have exactly the right one. Then a repairman comes in the house and when told THE name says "oh, I would have guessed it was ____" and to your great chagrin, he's RIGHT.

You're absolutely right!!

Clearly the answer is to get a cat and then get a repairman to name him!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: