Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Back to Paris!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Back to Paris!!!!! Reply with quote

Lately I have been itching to go back to Paris. So today, with Edith Piaf urging me on, I decided to do something about it and bought two tickets for our anniversary in November. AHH!

Last time we stayed at Hotel des Grande Ecole in the Latin Quarter, but I think I want to shake it up a little this time. Can anyone recommend a cute little hotel on the right bank?

I will be investigating previous posts for a romantic little place for our anniversary dinner, but if someone has something not previously listed please share.

I am so excited, I may explode!

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds exciting!

If you booked now you might be able to get a table at the Jules Vern. Apparently it is booked out for months in advance right now. We have been wanting to go, but just never get around to making an advance booking.....
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin forgive my curiosity, but it sounds like this is a surprise for your husband, he doesn't know yet?
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wonderful for you, Erin! If you like game, November is a good time of the year to go especially if you like game, wild mushrooms (mmmmm) and chestnuts.
Debbie has a great idea for trying to go to Jules Verne. How can one top that view from the Tour Eiffel? If you can't snare a table there, La Tour d'Argent at 15 quai de la Tournelle, tel. 01.43.54.23.31 (overlooking the Seine and La Cathedrale de Notre Dame would be a good second choice). Then there is the beautiful Le Grand Vefour, 17 rue de Beaujolais, tel. 01.42.96.56.27 (at the Palais Royale).
I'm salivating just thinking about all the wonderful meals that you and your husband will have in Paris. If you like big crowds, hope you will be there in time for the big parade on the Champs Elysees the morning of 11 Novembre.
I will send you an email with my list of restos.
All the best,
Lilia
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wonderful Erin. I'm as excited for you as if I were going myself. Have a memorable time.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic to see you here again and then you have news like that!

I hope you both have a wonderful time anticipating it and then a wonderful time in Paris.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exciting! Hope waiting til November doesn't prove too trying... Wink

As far as Rive Droite hotels go, there's a beautiful 18th-century style place in the Marais called Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais. I've never stayed in it but it looks absolutely lovely and has won all sorts of awards, and the location is excellent (rue Vieille du Temple, just off rue de Rivoli).
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, oooh! We have yet to go up the Eiffel Tower, partially due to my fear of heights. But, with Phil's strong arms to hold on to and the motivation of great food and an amazing view, I think that would be quite wonderful. Thanks!
Gingerpale, It's funny you should ask that, because at the time of my post he didn't know! I was taking quite a gamble and it paid off. I was counting on the fact that I have a secret project to make him as obsessed with travel as I am.
Sadly, it couldn't be a total surprise as the Coast Guard likes to poke their nose into our business and makes him get approval, which irks me greatly.

Thanks Rainey, I have been poking around for a little while now, just not posting as often.

Thanks Barbara, You'll have to name a place you love to go in there, we'll visit it and report back.

Lilia, Thanks again for the list! By the way, Lilia is an awesome name.

Rachel, I will look into that hotel, thanks. Last time we were in Paris we never made it to Marais, but have been wanting to ever since a friend of mine said the best latkes she ever had were from a bakery in Marais. How can I pass that up? Oh yes, and there is the fact that it is supposed to be a cool neighborhood!

Wow, lots of thanks in this post, aren't there? I guess that just shows how great you C&Zers are!

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote
Quote:
I was taking quite a gamble and it paid off.

LOL you must have an amazing relationship with an amazing man!
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going Erin! So glad the city has drawn you back! No advice here-just good tidings!

as far as going to the top of the Eiffel Tower----just couldn't do it--nope, not no how, just no way---thank heavens for indulgent husbands!
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesh, I made it to the first stage of the Eiffel Tower, was quite pleased with myself... and then I saw the Louvre rolling like a ship on an ocean... and I wanted to come down and not go up again!!!!! Shocked

The rest of Paris I loved tho'. The Musee Guimet is amazing, as is the Musee Cluny and the Musee Marmottan. On the way to the Marmottan I came across a lovely statue of La Fontaine who wrote the fables. On his head is a crow with cheese in it's beak and below in front of him is a fox looking pointedly at the crow!

Then there is the Musee Rodin and the Musee d'Orsay, both of which are wonderful experiences, and tho' I didn't see it last time I went, the Musee de la Mode - the Costume Museum!! Very Happy

Also, look out around the markets for a certain Parisienne concentrating on her food shopping for a certain website!!

And you'll be able to meet Debbie if you're lucky too! I was looking at Clotilde's book last night and wanting to go back to Paris myself... Now if I can just get rid of that overdraft I may just do that!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin,
Quote:
Now if I can just get rid of that overdraft I may just do that!!
I don't know the size of your overdraft, (though I'd probably trade you for my credit card bill every month) but I have always assumed that people in London (I know you are not) would go to Paris all the time! And vice versa, Parisians would visit London (when wishing to be posh rather than chic.)
It is approximately like going from LA to San Francisco (distance) but you get a whole new country/culture and language and food and shopping--you know what I mean. My question: using public transportation, NOT including food or shopping, how much time and money is involved in a round trip? (London to Paris to London)
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale,
Yes, I am quite lucky!

David and Griffin,
When I was little, my parents took me up the Space Needle on this horribly windy day. The Needle was swaying and I think I experienced my first panic attack. I went again when I was 15 for a school dance and was doing fine with the help of my dreamy date until the elevator ride down. It is made of glass, filled beyond capacity and I was pinned against the window looking out. Second panic attack. Phil got me over my fear of flying though, so I'm hopeful.

Musee Rodin is on the top of my list!

Oh and p.s. Griffin, I agree with gingerpale. It's a hop, skip and a jump. I only paid 80GBP taxes included on Thomson Fly to go from East Midlands to Paris. Get on it man! I'd be there every other weekend. Sorry, I get jealous of your prime location.

"It's hot ham water."
BG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Recent trip to Paris Reply with quote

I just returned from Paris (and Alsace) and I'm going to add a new post listing some of the places we enjoyed. We hadn't been in Paris for 18 years (only passing through Aeroport CDG on the way to another region or country by train or plane), and we were delighted with our visit! We were also delighted by Alsace -- the small towns, the wines, the cuisine, the warm welcome in small family hotels .... it was a great trip.

More in my soon-to-be-added post.

The Chemist in the Kitchen (sometimes)
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale,

It's about an hour to Paris from London airports, I don't know how much longer if at all it takes from the East Midlands tho'. I always get in a spending mood on holiday, so I want to save up more than I 'need' so I can go wild. One day I want to go to the Christian Louboutin shop in Paris and buy a pair of his shoes for my collection... and then there's the markets and the chocs... and the museum catalogues, not to mention the postcards which I could not possibly do without! Very Happy

Erin,

I will, I will, but gotta get out of overdraft first and well into the black. THEN I'll be in Paris every weekend! Wink If I could just improve my spoken French too... and there were the jobs... I'd move there! ....Of course then I'd want to go to London for all kinds of things!!! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
When I was little, my parents took me up the Space Needle on this horribly windy day.

Isn't that just right up with those 'Who thought this was a good idea?' ideas? Don't wait until it's calm and sunny - wait until there's a good strong wind and then go!!! I would have thrown up over somebody's shoes. At least in a plane you can pretend you're heading into outer spaaaaace before the plane levels off and you can then sleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: