Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Back to Paris!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Griffin, I'll ease up on you, but only because I understand shoes. We are going at bonus time so there will be plenty of shoes.

"It's hot ham water."
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, you're in for such a treat at the Musee Rodin - it's one of my favourite museums in the world, and given that I'm an art historian, that's saying quite a lot!

My boyfriend and I are off on our first trip to Paris two weeks from tomorrow (not that I'm excited or anything, of course Wink ) so I'll post about our finds when we get back.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,
I am really looking forward to it as I've been fascinated with Rodin or more accurately Camille Claudel and their history since high school. I'm glad to hear it does not disapoint!

Have a wonderful trip!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee, yeah, I'd promised Dick that this time we would go to the top of the Tower and was all set and primed for it---then as we walked towards it and it's HUGENESS dominated more and more of the skyline, especially vertically I just looked at him and said "Sorry but it just ain't going to happen. he laughed. We did climb to the first level though and that was fine and athletic too!
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, you don't have to climb or take the elevator. Have you heard of the new thing their doing at the base of the tower? They have a pool and tourist can have scuba diving lessons in four feet of water. Don't know how long that will last.

Erin, I'm delighted that you think I have an awesome name. Growing up in the Philippines, it is so common - combined with my maiden name which is one of those dime a dozen ones, there were 3 or four of us running around answering to the same name. About hotels, you can check out ParisHotels.com and look at Hotel Claude Bernard Saint Germain on rue des Ecoles. They have some wonderful prices from November 1 to March 2008.

Rachel, have fun in Paris and enjoy the Rodin. We spent a lot of time there ourselves especially on nice days.

Best to all.
Lilia
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I know what you mean about wanting to explode!! What a wonderful idea I cannot think of a better city to celebrate an anniversary in. Mine is actually 2 weeks after we Leave but I expect we will celebrate it a tad early this year Smile it is only too bad that you weren't married in the summer so we could see you as well, terribly selfish of me I know!!!

I can only hope you are having as much fun anticipating your trip as I am with mine!!!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin the Rodin Museum is one of my favourite places, particularly the garden at the back where the young lovers lounge about. November might not be warm enough though.

David - I don't like to boast but I've been to the top of the Eiffel Tower twice. I actually love heights and have been to the top of Sears Tower in Chicago, Tokyo Tower, and the one in Toronto. I think I've been up one in Montreal but I don't think it was very tall, which is why I can't really remember it.
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, in Montreal that would have been Place D"Arts, which even I made it to the top (elevator) but then I was 15 and immortal.

Lilia---oh my, besides heights my other major phobia is water!! Spent 5 years on Grand Cayman Island in the British West Indies and maybe got wet half a dozen times!

I'm sure there is a good Yiddish word for that!
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - Alors, we can be confined to restos, chocolates, museums, dinner at Debbie's and hoping to run into Clotilde at the marche biologique. Can't think of a better way to spend time in Paris, can you?

Pestoman - Although you're not spending your actual anniversary in Paris, you have almost a whole month to celebrate! Felicitations and have a lot of fun. I'm green with envy, you're dining at Chez Debbie.

Barbara - Erin and Phil can bundle up although some Novembers can still be nice. I spent two weeks in Paris (except for 5 days in Beaujolais for the new wine) last year and had several very comfortable days.

Lilia
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact we love the cold, so we will bundle as Lilia suggested. To me the fall and winter months are much more romantic. My cold weather clothing is much cuter and Phil loves me in hats.
When we were in Prague, there was a constant dusting of snow. In the evening we'd stop for some hot wine along one of the canals. There was a man selling sausages who kept a nice fire going and we would sit and watch the snow fall. Yes, the cold can be very romantic.......I'm all dreamy now.

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I wasn't quite done.

David, I have lived in the Hamptons for three years and won't go near the water.

PestoMan, Have a wonderful time! Two weeks isn't too early to celebrate. I feel that dates like anniversaries and birthdays should have an entire month for celebration.
I am enjoying it already!

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and Phil loves me in hats.
Yep, that's romantic. It sounds like something Ilsa (Ingrid) would have said about Rick..

Both my mom-in-law and a former boss claimed to be afraid of water, yet they both looked clean!
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loooove water! Especially the sea off the Sussex coast in Britain. The beach at Brighton is pebbly and when the tide comes in it washes the pebbles and makes a shhhhh as it retreats. To stand on the beach at Brighton with the seagulls wheeling over head and calling to each other with their pale grey wings outstretched as if they existed for the winds to hold them up... oh I miss Brighton!

Oh, and when we were young, my parents used to take us down to the raised promenade at Brighton and we watched a sea storm that took my breath away at it's utter power and wildness. The sky and sea seemed to reach up to each other until they were almost one mass of greys and livid purples.

And then there's the Thames and nearer to me now, the Trent, where swans slowly drift, their long necks gently curved and their big white wings neatly folded behind them like freshly laundered linen. Further north we have the Lake District too which I shall one day visit and gaze upon.

Waters are living, and capricious, neither sweet and tender nor savage and wild, but as they please. If they were animals they'd be cats. ... tho' less fluffy obviously!!

I'm not keen on swimming, I just love to be near water, to look at it, hear it, think about it and occasionally be in a boat on it.

The only time I would ever love heights tho' is when I get wings and then I'll make my own way up there. Until then, I am too aware of the sheer power of winds and weather... and that human beings are not nearly as clever as they think they are when they try to match wits with the elements.
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the water and can think of nothing better than floating in a nice warm ocean or pool. It may be something to do with the being in the womb I think! Growing up in Australia swimming comes naturally because there are so many wonderful beaches and such great weather.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in the Puget Sound area with it's cold, cold water and pollution it isn't really a good place for swimming. Now contemplation on the other hand, was the perfect thing to do there. It's very beautiful.
Did I mention I don't swim? I had lessons, they just didn't stick. In a pinch I could tread water, but a lifeguard better be on the way. Quick.

That reminds me, someone mentioned diving under the Eiffel Tower. Pourquoi? I get the ice skating, that sort of fits with the romantic theme. Maybe I'm just biased against being submerged in water.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: