Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Gateau de Mamy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good onya David! It's my favourite recipe of all the ones I've tried so far. I can definitely confirm that it's imperative to leave the cooked cake in the tin for the requisite 10 minutes before turning it on to a place.

I made a couple last week, and had to go somewhere while the second one was cooking. As I flew out the door I asked Greg to listen for the timer and take the cake out of the oven. But I didn't leave any other instructions - oops. When I got home he looked very sheepish and apologised for wrecking the cake. He'd taken it out and turned it straight out onto the wire rack, with fairly disastrous results. The boys ate it anyway, of course!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I have just made this cake. The first thing I baked in my new kitchen, the first thing I baked from Clotilde's book, the first time I decided to make my own baking powder.

Bought tartaric acid instead of cream of tartar so used it anyway.Maybe I'll be lucky and it will taste of wine. The raw batter was quite acidic.

Set the oven on fan grill instead of fan bake. Discovered this after 30 minutes of cooking. Covered it with foil but it's still pretty dark. Nothing a sprinkling of icing sugar won't cover.

Every single apple piece remained on the bottam of the pan. Which I think would have been caused by the batter cooking from the top rather than the bottam. Turned cake up the right way and no one will know.

I've just had a piece and it was excellent. I can see why this has been so popular. It is so quick and easy to make and tastes delicious...even made with tartaric acid.
Jennifer K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after reading all these posts, I'm going to have to make this cake!

I have really liked everything I made from this cookbook. Over the summer, I made the tomato tatin about 3 times. I also made the caramel and chocolate tart (the caramel was a bit runny but I think it was because I heated the sugar too fast), the zucchini and fig crumble (yum!), mango ricotta and macadamia crunch, rosemary braised fennel and tarte tatin. The thought of making tarte tatin always intimidated me, even though I'm an experienced baker. But it turned out to be amazingly easy and a huge hit at the dinner party I went to.
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Barbara!! All those things going wrong and it still turned out tasting just fine! Congratulations on your new kitchen!
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the mistakes we've made between us with this cake, it just goes to show what a resilient recipe it is.

So far, the only absolute 'must-do' is to leave it in the tin when it's taken out of the oven.

Jennifer, I love the Chocolate & Caramel Tart. I didn't follow the instructions to the letter on that one either ( Clotilde must be wondering why she even bothered with instructions in her wonderful recipes when they keep getting ignored! ). I made it just before we went to visit my in-laws, who live an hour's drive away. Put it in a cooler bag, but most of the trip is uphill, so by the time we got there, the tart had a decided 'lean' to it, and the caramel had oozed out from under the chocolate. No problem, I just smoothed it all over, put it in the fridge and no-one was any the wiser. And everyone loved it!

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy you should have instructed one of your boys to make a 1/4 turn of the tarte pan every 15 minutes----just a thought for the future. Very Happy
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David my new kitchen is actually an old kitchen in a new address. We've moved to an apartment on the Gold Coast in Australia. Which is a bit like moving to Miami when you retire.

I've posted the cake on my blog here.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/an-apple-a-day.html

Jennifer K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I also love that Chocolate and Caramel tart. I love that something so decadent can be made from so few ingredients! I haven't made it again because I live alone, and can't eat a whole Chocolate & Caramel Tart myself. Well, I could but I shouldn't ...
David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Barbara--it really did come out looking great--I like the look of the icing sugar on top! Interestingly i followed your link from your site to the recipe from your version of the C & Z cookbook and found that in yours Clotilde indeed makes the cake with pears. In the N. A. version it is made with apples and pears is a variation. A subtle cultural difference!
Judy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, both versions of the C& Z Cookbook use apples in the recipe, but Clotilde's original Gateau de Mamy recipe on C&Z - The Blog used pears.

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah!!! All is revealed! Thanks Judy. (silly moi!)
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of cranberry sauce--at least the commercial kind. But there was some cranberry preserve (homemade and not by myself) left over after Thanksgiving (Canadian) dinner at my friends' Louise and Valorie's place and they didn't have any use for it. So I took it home and last night made Gateau de Mamy with the cranberry sauce in place of apples---turned out to be a fabulous substitute! About half the sauce stuck to the pan but it was easily removed with a spatula and smeared back on top of the cake, or bottom of the cake----anyway this one I served bottom up and both Ben and Merv were thrilled with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: