Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

planning a Paris 1-day food pickup trip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinymich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: planning a Paris 1-day food pickup trip? Reply with quote

Hello fellow food-lovers,

Long-time lurker, first time poster checking in. Smile Bonjour!

My boyfriend is transiting through Paris CDG on March 11th on his way back to New York from a business trip in India. I was initially going to join him there for the weekend; however, that fell through. Sad As a consolation, he has offered to extend his stopover, since he lands in Paris early in the morning, and make his way into the city to help me pick up some yummy treats from various Parisian stores and bring them back to the US.

He does not speak any French and has never been to Paris before, and asked that I make my instructions extremely specific - what train to take, where to get off, addresses, etc. I was hoping that some of the locals on the forum might be able to help me plan the most efficient and clear way to hit all the stops I was thinking about. I spent a summer in Paris a couple of years ago, but it's been a while since.

The stops on my list are:

1) Androuet (still the best cheese I have ever eaten in my life) -- I see there are a few branches; are any of them especially noteworthy? I *think* the one I visited before was the one on rue de Verneuil, but I can't be sure.

2) Les Abeilles (metro Place D'Italie) for some of the pain d'epices that Clotilde raved about -- does anyone know how early it opens on Fridays? I couldn't find his hours on the website...

3) Christine Ferber jam -- is there anywhere else besides the Grande Epicerie at Le Bon Marche that sells it? (also, are there any particular flavours that anyone believes I "must not miss" if they're available? Very Happy)

and I was also intrigued by a post that MarkC made in another thread in this forum:
"Two charming areas of Paris that tourists often miss are the Parc Monceau in the 8th arrondisement, and the area around St. Sulpice church on the left bank. The latter is a lively area of shops and restaurants, with an incredible pastry shop (I forget the name, but you'll know which one) and a chocolatier, I think it is called Piccolomini, that has the best chocolates I've ever eaten.

For restaurants, I always recommend Au Bon Accueil, a stone's throw from the eiffel tower on the left bank. Top quality bistro fare at unbelievably reasonable prices, and an excellent and reasonable wine list. I enjoyed my meal there better than at exorbitant, michelin-starred restaurants.

I was thinking that if we could finish in this neighbourhood, Au Bon Accueil would be a good place for him to have lunch before heading back to the airport. I'm also extremely intrigued by Piccolomini - MarkC, would you happen to have any information about what its address might be, and what the nearest Metro stop is? ditto for Au Bon Accueil? Thanks...

So far based on what I can tell from scrutinizing the online Metro map, a promising route looks like he could:
take the RER B from CDG to Denfert-Rochereau,
take line 6 across to Place d'Italie for Les Abeilles,
then take line 7 up to Censier Daubenton for the Androuet branch on Rue Mouffetard.
If the Grande Epicerie is the only place to find Christine Ferber's jams, he could take the Metro there (to Vaneau or Rue de Bac, I think?),
and then to Piccolomini and Au Bon Accueil - if they're both on the left bank like everything else, it shouldn't be too hard, right?
Then we just have to get him back to the RER B to get back to the airport again...

Oh dear - does anyone think this might be too ambitious an itinerary for a jetlagged non-French-speaker? Embarassed

One final question: From what I've been able to find out, it looks like the cheapest way to do all this would be to buy the zone 1-5 Mobilis for the day. Is there any other cheaper way to get to and from the airport and around the city that I may have overlooked?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help you may be able to provide!! I wish I could be in Paris myself, but this will just have to be the next best thing till I'm there again this summer. Merci beaucoup to everyone in advance!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinymich, you lurker you! welcome on board...unfortunately I can't give you any Paris information ~ however, I would like to say I enjoyed your posting ~ and look forward to many more...it's a scrumptious group...
Jane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I purchased my jar of Christine Ferber's poires aux marrons glace in the food hall Galleries Lafayette.

It was amazing....

Good luck.

Jane
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning! Good on you for thinking of the train and metro first. It will save him so much time. I normally just buy a ticket from airport to centre ville, and use the purple metro tickets (ten tickets for 10euros). Not sure how much your rail pass would cost, but the 10 tickets might be a cheaper and easier option?

Hope he manages to get everything that you want. There are so many delicious things to eat that I admire your being able to choose exactly what you want. Good luck!
tinymich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses Smile

Debbie - I live in NYC, where I often plan my days-out-running-errands based exactly on a similar need to work around the train interchanges, calculating the shortest number of trips and what kind of pass I'll need to buy for that day! Very Happy

From the RATP website, a Zone 1-5 Mobilis will cost $12,10. I couldn't find out how much a two-way RER ticket cost; I always used my carte orange. But a carnet is $10.50 and a single ticket $1.40 - even if he only uses 4 tickets, the RER aller-retour would have to be less than $6.50 to come out less, and somehow I doubt that. I think he'll be best off with a one-pass-fits all anyway. =)

I know what you mean about narrowing things down; I didn't have a choice, really! And I'm leaving a lot of selection up to him -- what kind of cheese he gets will depend on what they have at Androuet that day and what kind of jam he gets will depend on what they have wherever it is he goes... I'm going to have a TOUGH time coming up with a list of "these are some of the ones that I might like" - it'll be 2 pages long!

Jane - Thanks for the info about Galeries Lafayette. It looks like it's near the Opera, though, and will probably be slightly more out of the way than the Grande Epicerie. But I appreciate the tip. Smile

Poires aux marrons glace sounds fabulous... is it more poire or more marrons glace?
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

So, what was in the goodie bag when he arrived home??????

Curious to know what you wound up with, but you may not have resurfaced from feasting yet...... tell all when you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: