Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

food quotes...oh ok..food AND wine quotes :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: food quotes...oh ok..food AND wine quotes :-) Reply with quote

Every so often I stop and drink in my kitchen surroundings. While making lemonade scones (3 cups selfraising flour, 1 cup cream, 1 cup lemonade ~ 220 oven...brush with egg wash....12-15 mins) I looked up at a framed embroidery I'd done ages ago.

A sewing group I belonged to had a challenge each year. A theme. At the end of the year we'd have a show 'n tell. When it was my turn to pick the theme...well Food Glorious Food it was.

MFK Fisher was my inspiration. I took a quote of hers and copied it onto fabric..then embroidered the letters. Here's the quote..

There is food in the bowl, and more often than not, because of what honesty I have, there is nourishment in the heart, to feed the wilder, more insistent hungers. We must eat. If, in the face of that dread fact, we can find other nourishment, and tolerance and compassion for it, we'll be no less full of human dignity.

I'd use 'acceptance' rather than 'tolerance', however it's MFK's quote so I left it as is..

tolerate!...it's rather like...aren't I just the precious one to tolerate you!...for me it's a bit like hatred with manners.

acceptance on the other hand...ah...for me it's a more knowing way to be...a more awareness of what it means to be human..

oops Judy...far far off topic!

looking forward to some quotes....

care for some scones?...King Island cream and raspberry jam...and a cold day weather-wise
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, my dictionary says tolerance is "sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices different than one's own." So I think it has a softer meaning too, not so harsh as you think.

Now for quotes, food and wine--

"If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill, as God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." S. O'Hara in the vegetables at Tara

And Noah he often said to his wife when he sat down to dine, "I don't care where the water goes if it doesn't get into the wine" G.K. Chesterton
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, dear pal, I still prefer 'acceptance'...for me it's not as judgemental as 'tolerance'...even with the sympathy and indulgence Wink

have spent a few hours with my neighbour...chewing the fat of life...love such times so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: