Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Clotilde à Londres
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Clotilde à Londres Reply with quote

So there it was, a hot yet windy day in London... I came down for the day and met the young, beautiful and elegant Rachel for lunch at the V&A. She, dressed in a cream dress with black and lavender embroidered motifs, very 1920s with a slight black cardigan as a guard against the wind. I wore a green silk shirt, but black trousers and tried not to spoil the effect!

We sat in the garden in the courtyard while the fountains did their stuff and the sky remained blue with the occasional cloud when it remembered.

I was then taken to the glass gallery, which is new to me and quite wonderful... except for the cut glass which I dislike. But a whole shelf of Lalique and some very old and very lovely Persian perfume sprinklers that sat in a group on their shelf with their necks tipped elegantly back and their mouths open as if they were singing the silent song of glass to each other.

Rachel had to go back to work, but I went to the shop and bought postcards... then headed to Hotel Chocolat for champagne truffles - for Clotilde, for David and of course for Rachel and her SO Glyn or the Modern Medievalist! He is, ladies and gentlemen working on the medieval galleries at the V&A so he'll be busy for a while!!

I headed for the National Gallery for more postcards on the same principal as women and shoes, so I'm told (as in a woman can never have too many shoes). Then back to the V&A for a drink and a sit down - again in the courtyard watching the water and a little tot with his dad. Tot wanted to head for the water, dad had no intention of letting him!!

The museum closed and I sat on the steps of the V&A for a little while before heading for the French Institute a building so wonderfully touched with an Art Deco facade that I was a teensy bit stunned. And then ringing a doorbell beside an Australian redhead a man who had come on behalf of his wife and climbing stairs into a lovely room with people rushing around putting finishing touches and there she was.... Clotilde.

Not just a face but a tall slim charming woman with the most beautiful eyes and smile. She, it seemed had been a little unsure at first if the Griffin was male or female - but as it's not the first time Embarassed hem, hem, let me state it clearly: Clotilde = female, Griffin = male ... and vaguely human! We chatted for a moment and she was called away and I - and the redhead - sat and drank champagne. Clotilde sat and signed books, people like me had brought theirs and others bought theirs then and there.

The food was wonderful and kept calling to me... no, really! Lots and lots of women, including the wonderful Veronique who collects cookery books like I collect postcards - she has over 250 of them. Clotilde gave her talk with a great deal of wit and elegance. How she's easily bored and is working on the second book. I did smile when she called this book 'my first cookery book'! Ooh, another one's on the way then?!! Well, maybe, but not for a while yet, she has other things.

So, the talk finishes, the desserts are put on the table - very chocolate cookies and the chocolate raspberry cake... sigh! Clotilde, Rachel, Glyn and I are talking when somebody comes and apologises for interrupting, but would Clotilde sign a copy of the book for a certain Jude Law.

Cue one stunned Clotilde! The cinema downstairs at the institute was showing a film and Jude was going to introduce it. He was too shy too come up and say hallo, so Clotilde having finally worked out what to write for him handed the book, which was taken down to his Jude-ness while Clotilde wondered if he cooked. I then wondered if Jude was writing on the forums and nobody knew...!!! Aha! So David, your secret is finally out and I claim my prize! Wink

At which, Clotilde was asked to come and meet the Jude, so she went downstairs which was the last we saw of her as we headed to the tube and home...

So, Clotilde... did you ask him? Does he cook?! And does he come to this place to post?!

I am actually agog... a male gog, but agog nonetheless.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, what an exciting event. Thanks so much for sharing, Griffin.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woman is charmed.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless ya Griff--yer nuts!! But you told us that already. Jude Law--tall, slender, elegant. Me-----mmmmmmmmmm not so much!
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Jude Law is one lucky guy.
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia, I'm with you - He's lucky AND astute enough to know a GOOD THING and go for it!

Maybe I should write a cookbook! Jude Law!!!!!! Well, I'd be looking more for the Harrison Ford/Kevin Kline era! Rolling Eyes
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, she is, both charmed and charming and very lovely.

David, I am sure you are tall, slender-ish and elegant, after all you're my twin and I'm tall and slender... sometimes I'm even elegant-ish!

But folks, we still don't know... does he cook for himself?!! Personally, I not only cook for myself, but I am so talented I eat for myself too! Sometimes when I'm feeling very daring, I drink for myself as well! I have neither fear nor shame... especially no shame!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I am right there with you on Harrison Ford. It's been love since I was a toddler. Though the midlife crisis put a bit of a crimp in that.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin - I agree - I really have difficulty understanding those 25-40 year May December things. It makes the relationship seem like a commercial enterprise - from the out side, anyway. And I was mightily unhappy with Mr. H when that's the direction he took. Rolling Eyes

Anyway - I'm sure if I had my choice between Jude Law and Griffin, i'd choose Griffin! Erudite, charming, sensitive - tall & thin, eats and drinks for himself...what's not to like? Lucky Clotilde - and Rachel and Madame, for that matter, to get to know him!

Ah well, the next time I'm in London, he'll get a call!
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

I promise you, I am the lucky one - Clotilde is utterly lovely - a smile to stop a ravening tiger (or even an un-ravening tiger) in its tracks... which hopefully she won't have to prove in Paris!! Those Parisian tigers are quite the scary ones you know. Rachel (and indeed Glyn) are a lovely couple and I suspect a good deal more erudite than I.

Madame... there are words for Madame, but somehow they aren't quite enough. Lively, witty, funny, sunshine-bright (tho' possibly not at the moment in the snow), sparkling eyes... reminded me of my mum in that 'force of nature' is the phrase that comes closest. I could go anywhere with Madame and the place would seem livelier somehow. As for Sieg... you can only feel sorry for those who haven't met him yet. A truly wonderful man - a man among men... or Parisian tigers for that matter!

But do come over and we'll look for mischief to make. Or I'll look for the mischief and you come over and join in!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a rotten, lousy, infinitely regrettable shame that C&Z visits can't be made as easily as popping next door!
MissC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude Law, how exciting! I am also dying to know whether or not Clotilde found out whether or not he cooks--it would make him even more appealing if he did!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wonderful report Griffin. It sounds like a wonderful day. Lucky Jude Law getting to meet Clotilde.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

That's exactly what I thought.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, you make me blush! Embarassed Anyway I'm sure I hardly need say that he is as charming, witty and interesting in person as on the forums.

Barbara, I quite agree - Jude Law is the lucky one! Me, I was much more excited about meeting Clotilde, and Griffin of course. (Though if it had been Romain Duris who was getting his book signed, I would have insisted vehemently on being taken along...! Wink )

And David, you're in for a treat if you've not gotten the truffles yet... they are scrumptious! (I have them all to myself as Glyn considers them 'too girly'. Silly man, he doesn't know what he's missing.)

Not much I can add to Griffin's report except that the chocolate raspberry cake is to die for - and if all the Lalique glass goes missing from the V&A, you know who took it... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: