Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Lavender Apricot Compote (N.A. edition p.207-8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Lavender Apricot Compote (N.A. edition p.207-8) Reply with quote

HOw simple! How wonderful! And on a nice quality vanilla ice cream--sublime! I used a bit more sugar than the recipe simply because we really don't get good apricots here-----and in future I won't cook them the full 8 minutes, will go for the 5 at the bottom end of the time range as I prefer the half fruits to hold their shape just a bit more firmly. And I agree with Cotilde--it would be easy to overdo the lavender--when cooked they are stronger than you think!
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum! Sounds good. Cannot wait for my copy of the book... I know, slack of me not to have it yet but we all know I have a memory like a sieve for things like ordering books, posting letters etc etc.... sigh....
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, where came your lavender from? My backyard tall purple (well, lavender) clumps of lavender are herbal extreme --- resinous--I think WAY too strong for gentle perfect-as-it-is warm apricot flavor. Do you know a North American source for food lavender?
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will have to make this for the hubs - who adores apricots in any form. His late sister used to make him apricot upside down cakes and so that's rather de rigeur for his birthday. I don't like them much - find them rather boring, so I am always on the lookout for a good apricot recipe that we might both enjoy. Maybe I can sway him with this little number! Laughing

Gingerpale - happily, what I have in my garden is the English lavender recommended for cooking - lavandula augustifolia munstead - it is a dwarf variety with smooth green gray leaves. The French lavenders are larger and have serrated leaves and are definitely stronger. (My friend the landscape designer says most of the lavender grown commercially in France is actually a cultivar of Spanish lavender.) (Who can keep up with this?) Even if you have the Munstead variety, I think the better part of wisdom when doing anything with lavender is to start slowly. It can become terribly bitter if overused!Resinous is a good word.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gingerpale--the lovely and fragrant flowers I have were generously sent to me in a care package from Rainey!!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see, David--you have a generous green-thumbed benefactress from the Valley of San Fernando, near to The City of Our Lady Queen of the Angels. A wise and loving woman.
(Her other thumb is floury white!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: