Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

National?Regional drinks!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: National?Regional drinks! Reply with quote

Now these don't HAVE to be alcoholic but I think we'd be hard pressed to convince Chicago Bear or Pestoman of that....I'm just thinking about how the martini really is an American drink (try ordering one in Europe!) and how the mint julep is most definitely a Southern U.S. delight...while here in Canada we've presented the world with the Bloody Caesar (vodka, clamato juice, tabasco, celery seed, worchestershire sauce served in a glass rimmed with salt with a celery stalk sticking out of it)---though I'm not so sure any other jurisdiction has picked up the Caesar as yet! Then there are kir and mojitos and stuff-----so what is your region's particular contribution to the world of beverages??
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not really sure about Washington. They make some amazing micro brews, but no signature that I know of.

Out here on the other hand we have the famous/infamous Long Island Iced Tea. I confess I have not tried one since moving here. The one I sampled on my 21st birthday was enough.

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....

Well one thing which I notice is drunk here a lot is mint syrup mixed with water (sparkling or still). A popular summer drink.

I have been drinking icy cold still water with violet syrup this summer. Something which I have never had in Australia, but seems to be quite common here.

For alcohol they have the infamous pastis.... which I cannot stand.

Will pay more attention when at the bar on friday night to see what else is being drunk.....

Pestoman, this looks like a market survey job that we could accomplish while you are here. What do you think? We may run out of time before we run out of bars, but we could give it our best effort!! Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, it would probably be either apple juice or Elderflower cordial, which is a very summery non-alcoholic drink.

Beers have been brewed in Britain for centuries and also cider. Many beers in Britain are regional drinks.

Plymouth is famous for it's gin too.
birgit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Griffin, when I think of English summer drinks, I think of elderflower cordial Smile -- meanwhile they sell it here, too, but because of the price it's something for special occasions. I've even tried to make some myself, which was ok, but the one I tried in England was much more elegant.

I also remember a drink you can buy in organic shops, it comes in wine bottles and is similarly colored: red, rosé and white. It's without alcohol and tastes like fruit and herbs. As far as I remember the name starts with Am.. -- is it Amei? -- Can't remember, it's such a long time since I've been to GB Question

Here in Germany I think Radler (south version, named cyclist, I think because you still can go home by bicycle after drinking it) or Alster (northern version, named after the river in Hamburg) qualifies for a summer drink. Basically it's a refreshing mixture of beer (the bitter the better) and citrus sparkling water or, even better: sprite.

Equally nice: A cold dry white wine, with or without sparkling water, eventually with a few sweet strawberries bobbing up and down in the glass.

And this summer there will surely be still more Bionade, too: it feels like beer (because it's brewed like beer with all those nice bubbles), but it's made out of herbs and fruit and no alcohol at all, has surprisingly few calories and is organic, too. Meanwhile there is no party without lots of bionade. Amazing.
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just googled Bionade and discovered that it can't be bought in the States yet. The family who owns it is hoping to establish some production here by 2008 (I guess they are quite overwhlemd at their little Ostheim plant trying to keep up with the demand in Europe). So I will just keep my fingers crosssed. It sounds delicious! I'm not aware of any products in the US with a similar profile. Does anyone else know of anything similar?
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birgit,

Yes, you were very close, it's Ame with the accent on the 'e', otherwise it would be the French for 'soul'.
birgit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, in case you've ever tried austrian "Almdudler", which is a beverage I remember faintly from childhood times: the taste is similar to the herb-variety of Bionade, only Bionade is thankfully not that sweet. The flavor is hard if not impossible to describe though. It's easier with the other varieties: orange-ginger is kind of tart and light orange, elderberry: tart and lots of dark red and some blue berries, lychee: fruity + flowery + lightly tart as well. Children are expecially fond of the berry variety.

I don't know if it's because the bottle looks that cool or if it's in the flavor: so incredibly many people like it, and meanwhile it seems to be even cooler to drink bionade than beer, which is a good thing in respect of driving home after parties.

I still hope there will be a future lemony elderflower variety, too ... ;o)

And, Griffin, thank you. Is Ame meanwhile more widely available/popolar in GB now?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was immediately interested in buying Bionade, and googled it! It will probably do very well here in the States. I wonder if it is as foamy as beer?
msue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this would be considered a regional drink, and it is far from fancy, but if we in Texas had to choose one drink that represents us best, it would likely be the margarita. You can get pricey margaritas with extra smooth tequila and fancier ingredients, but I find summer tastes best when the margarita is simple, tart with lime, and cold to the bone.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I have yet to have a Margarita... that will be next!

Birgit, I wouldn't say Ame is widely popular, but you can get it in some supermarkets and health food shops here fairly easily.

When I think of California, I think of Philip Marlowe in the Long Goodbye where he describes a Whisky Sour. Years ago when I was in San Francisco, I had to have a Whisky Sour just so I could feel a little like Marlowe...!

My favourite regional drink would be Champagne tho'. One day I want to drink Champagne in either Rheims or Epernay, it's home towns.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, a Margarita! I wish all that Margarita atmosphere/lore/lack of responsibility/f*** the future/happy song singing/beach sand in everything could somehow be included with your first sip. (I've never had one that good, but they're good.)

My mom's favorite cocktails were Whiskey Sours--and my father, to tease her, called them "garbage can drinks" (because of the fruit peels).
swan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that came to my mind was Heineken beer. (and Amstel, and Grolsch) Then I thought of jenever, in young and old versions, if you order a 'jonge'in a café ('a young one' ) or an 'oude' (an old one) everybody knows we're talking jenever.
Some liqueurs are originally Dutch too, the 'Bols' brand. And we have some very oldfashioned smaller jenever and liqueurmakers in Holland, very nice to visit in Amsterdam if and whenever you're here..they make beautiful stuff like 'bruidstranen'(bridal tears) and lots of other beautiful names for liqueurs!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm....a well made margarita. Mama's Mexican kitchen in Seattle makes a fabulous one with Patron Silver. It must be on the rocks with salt.

"It's hot ham water."
birgit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale,
no, it's not foamy, but it tingles like beer and it has a similar hint of tartness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: