Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chicago in January 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennettsleg

Location: Stuck on the gravy train, staring across the fence at all the lovely green grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Chicago in January 2007 Reply with quote

We're off to Chicago on January 1st 2007. I've been scouring the web trying to find recommendations for this time of year that don't solely revolve around dressing in layers or staying in and hugging a radiator!

Are there no events for people that like the cold? The architecture centre's walks don't seem to run in January, the museums don't seem to have any events/special exhibitions planned for then either. Am I looking too far ahead or does the city just hunker down and wait for March to arrive?

Metromix.com has been useful for revues of restaurants/bars and does require further investigating. I tried the Search by date facility and got an awful lot of listings of cheap alcohol in response. Mmmm, maybe they're trying to tell me something! Very Happy Very Happy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gino's East has some great Chicago style pizza. I would totally recommend it. The Art Institute is worth a visit even if there is nothing specal going on. I would also recommend visiting any Frank Lloyd Wright houses, buildings, whatever you can.

Plan for cabs. Seriously.

"It's hot ham water."
Daisy11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bennettsleg: what types of things are you interested in doing?

Granted, there aren't lots of outdoor activities scheduled in Chicago that time of year. But, if you're interested in being outdoors and don't mind the cold, I would suggest creating a "do-it-yourself" walking tour of Chicago. There are many great neighborhoods to wander through. If you're arriving early enough on Jan 1st, you may be able to catch the last day of the King Tut exhibit at the Field Museum. It's supposed to be great. If you're in town during the week, take advantage of the various free days at the Chicago museums. Another resource to check would be the foodie forum: LTH Forum. It's a pretty comprehensive source for restaurants both well-known and off the beaten path. The folks there would also help you with ideas for activities while you are in town.
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Erin's recommendation of the Art Institute (it is FABULOUS, exhibition or no exhibition), and would add to that the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum. Also, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra should be playing while you're there (if not, something else interesting and musical will definitely be going on).

Speaking of the Art Institute, there's a wonderful Russian cafe/restaurant less than a block away called Russian Teatime, so you can dash quickly from one to the other with minimum exposure to the cold!
KristainLondon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Chicago in the Winter Reply with quote

You could do Ice Skating in Millennium Park? http://www.millenniumpark.org/artandarchitecture/mccormick_tribune.html

Also, this sounds a little cheesy but I took my parents on it a few years ago and they STILL talk about it. It was pretty fun--it's a gangster tour of Chicago...http://www.gangstertour.com/ It's on an old school bus--you stay inside most of the time.

I checked the Chicago Architecture Foundation, and it looks like there are lots of tours in January! http://www.architecture.org/tour_search_results.aspx?TourStartDate=1/1/2007&TourEndDate=1/31/2007

If you want my recs on eats and drinks, I would say...
Sola--newer restaurant on the north side...about a $15 taxi ride from downtown, but very worth it. Lovely food and service.
Morton's--for steak.
The Green Mill--for jazz, late night.
Kingston Mines--for the blues. A little touristy, but still fun.
Hot Dougs--northside, and a little west. You'll need a taxi or a rental car. Gourmet hot dogs. Very fun/retro.
Frontera Grill/Topolabampo--Mexican. A Chicago institution. A must visit if you want to try Mexican in Chicago. Rick Bayless is very well respected, even if I can't spell his name right. Smile

Have a great time. Chicago is a GREAT city. Very excellent shopping as well. Smile
kymee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you have to get in to see Oprah while you are there!! Who knows...you may leave with a car.... Shocked
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Should PM Chicago Bear. He should have some brilliant recommendations for what to do - and where to eat - in the Windy City.

My only advice, based on 3 Christmases in Chicago with in-laws - is LONG UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eddie Bauer has some very thin silk long underwear that are GREAT! Wink
JLovesVeggies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Restaurants &amp; clubs in the windy city Reply with quote

Hi all - we are headed to chicago later this month and I'm hoping to find a couple of recommendations for meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, cocktails, fun clubs for 30+ and to spots to hear some great jazz. Also if you have fave hotels, that would be helpful. However, I'm mostly focused on the food:-) Appreciate your help!

JLV
________
mflb vaporizer

Last edited by JLovesVeggies on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Daisy11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLovesVeggies: Can you give some more info on types of cuisines and areas of Chicago that you're interested in? There are literally thousands of restaurants to choose from. I suggest checking out the following websites for ideas:

www.metromix.com
www.lthforum.com - this is a "foodie" forum dedicated to the Chicago area. I suggest reading through some of the threads to narrow down ideas/places you want to check out. The posters on this forum are happy to help with questions/requests for recs, but generally prefer more specific questions.
JLovesVeggies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hi Daisy, I will def. check out these sites. I'm also reviewing other message strings as I see few other ideas.

Welcome to other ideas too!

JLV
________
vaporizer guide

Last edited by JLovesVeggies on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
JLovesVeggies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Oh... Reply with quote

I missed the first part of your message:-)

Let's see, we like all food really. I guess it's more about the package of experience, food and not being stuff or overpriced. One of our fav. spots in Seattle is the Harvest Vine.

I haven't been to Chicago since college and then we somehow got the idea that Ed Debevics (sp) was the best place to go! Laughing. It was pretty fun though.
________
buy easy vape vaporizer

creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband, teenage son and I spent a chilly spring week in Chicago. Prepare for cold, but prepare for a wonderful time.

I have been long overdue with a post on my own blog about our adventures in Chicago, so I'll try to write it up soon and post a link. Here are a few highlights.

Sites and Sights

Oak Park and Frank Lloyd Wright
See if the Arch. Found has its bus tour, that's what we took and it was great
Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry (prepare for winter break crowds of kids) Field Museum and the Chicago History Museum (not as well known as the others but I think it is definitely worth a few hours)

Lots of great places for chocolates and dessert

Foodie mecca -- try one of Rick Bayless' restaurants

I wasn't thrilled with deep dish pizza which I know makes me a heretic, but we tried Pizzeria Uno, Gino's East and Lou Malnati's. Ginos was too sweet and had a very cornmeal crust. My husband grew up on Uno's and was very disappointed in his meal. The one at Lou's my teen age son raves about. I thought it was good, but give me a crackly thin crust any day, so I have my bias.

HOt Dogs -- all over and all beef and served with a can of soda and fries for cheaper than a happy meal. Worth a diet disaster

BBQ and steaks -- again lots of choices

I spent a lot of time browsing Spice Hunter -- lots of quality seasonings
to buy

Entertainment -- get tix in advance for Second City or other comedy
Blues and jazz everywhere -- our favorite was the low key Rosa's Lounge for blues

Lots of classical choices, too.

Transportation -- we got weekly passes and used them. Public transport was excellent, however the city is redoing some lines so that may have changed.

Explore the neighborhoods for interesting people watching and stores

Have a great trip
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh
Just realized you were talking about this past January!
I got so excited about our great trip I totally missed that.
Hope you had a good time and anyone else checking this forum after the fact can use the info.
Richard Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou Mitchell's diner for breakfast - every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: