Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ratatouille
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngAk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: here is a link to the Thomas Keller recipe Reply with quote

that Pixar used for the dish. Confit Byaldi.
http://www.austin360.com/food_drink/content/food_drink/stories/2007/06/0627ratatouille.html
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that, AngAk, much fun, and interesting!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a recipe that brings new dimension to the concept of "fun"!

I can't tell you how much I admire Thomas Keller. Far too much not to be completely intimidated by one of his recipes to actually attempt one. ...until now.

Thanks so much!

I think I must have been having a small stroke when I wrote the above sentence. I'm not even sure it's English and the nuns who made me spend about 3 years diagraming sentences are surely whirling in their graves. Shocked

Last edited by Rainey on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They went to so much detail!
This movie hasn't been released in the UK yet, I'm waiting with bated breath. I was just in Canada and for some reason didn't take advantage of being able to see it.
Did this post make anyone else want to run off and recreate half the dishes from their restaurant's menu?

B
www.handtomouthkitchen.wordpress.com
thehandandthemouth@gmail.com
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blogger
http://www.frenchlaundryathome.com/
is trying many Keller recipes in her own kitchen.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngAk- Thanks so much for the link to Confit Byaldi above.

We had it last night and it was very pretty indeed! I can see why simona has a clear preference for tians with each veggie identifiable and "meaty" as it were (though the Byaldi slices are so thin that that's not the case).

It came out of the oven after 2 hours of roasting a little pale and I had apprehension that something so wet would brown under the broiler. But it browned up for lovely color.

The piperade was something I've never tried before. The distinctly "peppery" flavor was right out front and I think, having substituted what was in my garden, I'd stick to bell peppers next time. But the big disclosure was that all those complex flavors could reside in that layer just beneath the firmer ones and impart all their flavor in the slow roasting.

I would have to say it ties with my other favorite recipe (for an out and out ratatouille) for the number of bowls, sieves, pans to reach for at the critical moment and wash up afterward. But, apparently, "pretty" takes some prep.

We are eaters in my family. And ratatouille and it's prettier cousins are what we love to eat. So I'd double the recipe next time for more generous servings and to have some of the cold leftovers that are the second joy of ratatouille.

My daughter made a lovely warm sauteed apple and roasted beet salad with gorgonzola and glazed nuts salad over baby greens to go with it. Yum! If I had made a nice creamy dessert I wouldn't have wished I'd doubled the recipe.

In short, if you're a ratatouille fan and have always wondered how to make a prettier one that you felt good about serving to company, this is your recipe. It had a number of components to prepare before assembly but nothing about it was difficult. And the final confit was well worth each step.

Oh, I should add I found some round zucchini at the farmers' market and they were perfect for having comparably sized eggplant, zucchini (I forgot to check the recipe and see he includes yellow squash) and tomatoes.

I also forgot that I have saved all the juices that remained in the serving dish to add to a salad dressing. Too much complex flavor to let slip away. Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty- I look forward to trying the tian link you shared too. I suspect it will be very attractive without the half dozen sieves and pans. And also more like our casual outside lifestyle.
minty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found your post so strange ! I was in the country last week, and, as we have a pick-your-own farm nearby, we got loads of tomatoes, courgettes, eggplants and onions ;
we- Mum and I therefore decided we would make ratatouille : our familial recipe is quite simple : wash your vegs, cut them into small pieces, put everything in a large pot with herbs (thyme, marjoram...) - I veto garlic, as I don't like the taste - and let it stew for one to two hours...
1 big pot is all we used , and it was delicious... Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I learned to make it too. And I agree that it's delicious as rustic, homey and natural as can be. I also use a recipe (one that's supposed to be ni├žoise but I got it from an American food mag) that requires separate prep of each veg and then assembly for a final simmer. It makes a prettier version with discrete, identifiable morsels.

I think I provided that recipe above. Lots of sieves, a saute pan and a serving casserole. Keller's recipe was a couple saute pans, a number of bowls, a sieve and a final saute pan for presentation (I used a gratin dish).

For me, when it's delicious, rustic is as good as fussy. But, as a matter of exploring the options, I'm delighted to get to try them all.

PS Can't agree about the garlic, tho. Got to have it! Wink

Yes, I can see that recipe on the first page of this thread if you ever want to try it. Lots more caramelization of the veggies introduces a new flavor. But, as I said above, delicious is delicious and, apparently, there are many delicious variations.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey - I have a similar tian recipe from years ago - don't even know where I got it, and now make it by heart. It is delicious and Sam loves it because it preserves the character of all the veggies. It's something I think of when I'm at a framer's market and I can just go from stall to stall picking out the ingredients!

That recipe of Keller's looks brilliant and I suppose I will have to try it!
GB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Ratatouille Reply with quote

I made ratatouille yesterday evening from a recipe I have used for more years that I care to think about ! I seem to remember trying several versions before finding what I think is an authentic recipe in a book called "A Table in Provence" by Leslie Forbes.

The basic idea is that you saute the vegetables individually, starting with the aubergines, courgettes and peppers, transferring them to a heatproof pan as you go. Next saute the onions and tomatoes together for a few minutes, add the herbs, and then mix gently into the other vegetables.

Cook the assembled ratatouille on a lowish heat for about 30 minutes, season, add fresh basil, and ser ve.

In this way the separate vegetables keep their shape and colour and do not turn into a soft brown modge (which is what happened the first few times I tried the dish).

This evening we are having the remainder of the ratatouille as a third vegetable to accompany some wild salmon I bought earlier today.
kitchensqueen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was great! Funny and inspiring. I do like the Pixar films a lot. I've actually never tried Ratatouille the food (despite my love of classic French food) and now I'm itching to get one made while everything is still in season.
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the most delightful thing kitchensqueen--sweet and savoury and soft and oily and versatile.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! You've got to try it.
bluedog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just saw the film last night and it was delightful. My kids are dying to have "Rat Patootey" for dinner tonight! Will have to wait for my next farmers market run. Now which version to start with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: