Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

John from Cincinnati

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: John from Cincinnati Reply with quote

Anyone seen it yet? It's running on HBO in the States and I know it's already playing in Canada. Don't know about the rest of the UK.

We LOVE it despite unfriendly advance reviews. I'm not saying we understand it, but it's an interesting ride if you care to check it out.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hooked, I love him, (John) and them (everyone else in the show) but I am hoping there is really a story here, not just a miracle every week--still a little wary. (We loved "Deadwood", but felt suckered by "Carnivale") Lots of style is fine, but without a plot I won't watch, why should I?
Do you remember the sweet Rebecca deMornay from "Risky Business"? -- well, she's still tough as nails.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't deal with the Anglo-Saxon in Deadwood (have we already had this conversation?) but it fits in the surfer culture so I don't find it in the least distracting as I did in Deadwood.

Yes, Cissy is one tough broad and Rebecca DeMornay's acting has only gotten better over the years. Likewise, I think Bruce Greenwood has gotten better and better as time goes on.

Have you found the discussion boards on HBO? They can be interesting and helped me interpret some of the things going on like the visions. There's a lot of discussion of whether Milch is investigating Judeo-Christian or Eastern versions of philosophy and mysticism. Not all but certainly a lot of the discussion is intelligent and provocative.

PS I also felt suckerpunched somewhat by Carnivale. I mean it was clear from the beginning that the writing lurched along awkwardly and self-consciously but the set dressing was so gorgeous I had to watch until the stories were so insulting that I had had enough.

I think an entirely different thing is going on with JFC. I don't know if it will supply all the answers but the questions are certainly significant and carried along by engaging characters and fine acting.
jennyflame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this show! (John from Cinci) I got hooked the second I heard the opening song.

And I miss Deadwood. That's a show they should have kept going.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delighted to know there's another fan here. I guess it's you, me and gingerpale. ...and I'm depending on BOTH of you to straighten out the last episode for me. Shocked
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Explain it? I have no answers yet, but I love immersing myself in that strange world for an hour every week--oh how I'd love to go to their next riveting barbecue-- didn't blink, couldn't breathe -- even more than I'd like to know what happened (long ago?) in room 24...
(This forum isn't the place to discuss the show, I know-- John from Cincinnati doesn't eat.)
But so far what fun--I hope all who can will watch.
jennyflame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno to me it's like they are doing a modern take on the bible. With nutters, and druggies, and surfers, and immigrants.

Esp the part when John was in Kai's trailer and said "see god Kai", and she had visions of what everyone else was actually doing. And after that when they went to see Shawnee and he told her again "see god Kai" and they were looking at shawnee.

The last episode, the whole part about John's out of body experience was interesting. It was almost as if it was the ending rather than it just beginning. And the dead guy from room 24, odd.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine what someone who hasn't seen the show thinks of what you wrote... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
jennyflame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of that. But maybe they will be intrigued and will watch and get hooked like we did. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: