Joined: 12 Jul 2007
|Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:13 am Post subject: Kerrie-Anne's Pavlova
|We love Pavlova in Australia (they say its our National Dessert) so I thought I'd share my favourite Pav recipe with you.
I hope you'll try it, please don't be put off by eating meringue (mainly consisting of eggs) because its delicious.
It's best crispy on the outside and goeey inside or however you like it and you can use whatever fruit topping you like.
Ingredients [serves 8]
* Pavlova base
* 4 large egg whites
* Pinch salt
* 1 tsp vanilla essence
* 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
* 400mls thick cream
* 750g (3 punnets) strawberries, hulled
* 4 passionfruit
* Icing sugar, to serve
1. To make the pavlova base, preheat oven to 120°C. Use a 20cm round cake pan as a guide to trace a circle onto a piece of non-stick baking paper. Place paper, penciled-side down, on a baking tray.
2. Whisk the egg whites and the salt in a large mixing bowl with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and then gradually add the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking well after each addition until the sugar dissolves, Whisk the mixture until thick and glossy Spread the meringue mixture over the prepared baking paper using the marked circle as a guide for the base. Reduce oven temperature to 100°C and cook for 1 1/2hours. Turn off the oven and allow the base to cool in the oven.
3. For Kerri-Anne's topping, "Spread cream over the pavlova base. Place whole strawberries around the edge of the base to form a border. Slice the remaining strawberries and arrange over the cream. Cut the passionfruit in half and scoop out the pulp over the strawberries. Serve sprinkled with icing sugar."
I got this recipe from an Australian celebrity called Kerri-Anne and it's the only pavlova recipe I use because it's perfect every time I make it.
Source: Australian Good Taste