Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Introducing Guillaume, our new furbaby
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, that is fabulous!!! I read it out to Wayne and Guy. Both loved it!

Can we have this written out and autographed please?.... Talent like this could be valuable one day Wink

Confession time........ Embarassed I went to BHV today and visted their new pet shop. Whilst there I spent over 50 euros on toys, accessories and other "things" for our baby.

Spent all afternoon watching him play with his new toys, then we lay on teh bed and had a little nap together. I have really missed a cat purring you to sleep.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie- I am soooo with you! Let me begin by saying I am NOT a dog person. But one day recently our daughter called us up when Steve and I were on our way to someplace else and said some rescue society had some cute puppies. Well, one U-turn later we were bringing home an 8week old pup.

She's about 13 or 14 weeks old now and I can't pass a pet store without going in to see if they could possibly have some toy I haven't already bought. But that's not even the worst. I keep picking up little doggie dresses and two-piece bathing suits and down vests and jammies and.... Now, I think dressing up dogs is offensive! But I can't seem to stop myself. So far I haven't bought anything. But there was an awful cute denim short skirt with a knit green turtle neck and a leather belt...

I guess you know what I mean. Wink
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben has, for years, threatened to divorce me as his mother if I bought ANY article of clothing for the dogs other than a raincoat for the torrential winters here.

He pitches a FIT when I put Christmas ribbons on their collars! And the ONLY THING he likes about Wally is that Wally immediately chews the ribbons off - both his and Gromit's! And I think they look so adorable with the little red plaid bows!

I would love to do those cute Halloween costumes - I would even make them, but I am FORBIDDEN! And even though Ben lives 3,000 miles away now, he would KNOW if I broke the ban on doggie outfits!Rolling Eyes
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I can hear myself issuing the same threats. ...only someone else has invaded my body. [Why they would want my body or to make me dress a poor helpless dog I couldn't say.]
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the big-eyed baby faces of your new puppies/kitties. Feel that very strong pull? (Nature is insuring that you will nurture.)

There would be something wrong if you DIDN'T want to put them in party dresses!
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... teh confession that I was hoping I would never have to confess......

I went to a shop here in Paris last week that only sells clothing and collars for dogs and cats.

You should have seen the stuff on offer. Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! Shocked

I did not buy anything for Guy, but if I had a dog I would have... Laughing

Rainey, what breed is your new baby? Maybe Guy can send him a pressie and therefore we are both satisfied without it being our fault?!

Will take a camera next time and take photos. You have never seen anything like it. More and better quality clothes than you see in many clothes shops.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaargh! The one thing that always gets me sizzling is when people treat dogs and especially cats like small people!!! Our first cat Possum would let my little sister put a doll's bonnet on her head, but that was a child doing it. For me it's disrespectful of the animal to do that. They are predators, and while many of them tolerate it - especially dogs, it's wrong on just so many levels.

I have always treated cats with respect, tho' I am compelled to talk to them when I meet one. But I never call them anything other than Seigneur or Madame. Certainly not anything that diminishes their predator status. Yes they have beautiful eyes, and such lovely paws, but those paws (cats) conceal claws and that lovely smile on a cat conceals fangs. They are small tigers and small versions of wolves/hyenas and I dare anyone to try and put a cutesy dress on a tiger or a hyena! Even Possum drew the line after the bonnet, anything else and there was a warning growl - with definite meaning!

Donna,
I love that your dogs are Wallace and Gromit, but le chat extraordinaire is Zeus!

Rainey,
Clearly a wicked cat spirit has entered your body and is having a joke at the dog's expense!!! Twisted Evil ... and possibly yours in a subtle fashion!

Gingerpale,
Apache does work, but only if you say it the French way!

And I should be happy to write it out - in Cancellaresca - and send it to anyone who'd like a copy... oh why do I have the feeling I shouldn't have said that?!!!! Shocked

But Debbie, for you definitely. And this talent will only be of any use, once I finally get my current novel finished... and plot the second and third!! But not seven... that may be fine for JK Rowling, but I'm not sure I want to get that far in. There are other things I want to write as well! As soon as I have your address, I shall also send you a postcard story as I did for David recently.

Debs, the cheapest toy I ever found for a cat is a length of string dragged provocatively in front of his nose. He will prove that old saying that, 'The paw is quicker than the hand!' Tho' I once had one of those tiny very bouncy balls and Possum went bananas once, batting it with her paw and chasing it all over the place!! You're right, there's nothing like the purring of a cat to send you to sleep... unless said cat is asleep on top of you and purring through your bones!!!!

'Ere Donna, put the dress down and step awaaay from the dog! And yes, you to Rainey!!! Run doggie, run!!! Shocked
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, a dressed-up predator:

http://lsmensclothing.com/instock-suit.jpg Wink

I don't think an animal suffers from any respect/self esteem issues no matter how ridiculous it looks. It can experience physical discomfort though, which (to me) is the reason to leave it unclothed! In my previous post I said it was normal to want to baby a puppy--not to actually do it for real! (Am I taking this discussion too seriously?)

I've always thought it was mean to force an animal to live with a CONSTANT jingling noise his whole life--better to somehow secure the chains/tags on his collar to keep them silent.

Rainey, I'm so glad your puppy is still with you, I know she had some health problems @ first! What do you call her?

Donna, my micro-chipped Max is a black dog--they look great in red plaid bows!

Griffin, yes I got that 'Apache-panache' French rhyme--that's why it was so clever! I also love the pretty Cancellaresca!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revenant by Billy Collins

I am the dog you put to sleep,
as you like to call the needle of oblivion,
come back to tell you this simple thing:
I never liked you--not one bit.

When I licked your face,
I thought of biting off your nose.
When I watched you toweling yourself dry,
I wanted to leap and unman you with a snap.

I resented the way you moved,
your lack of animal grace,
the way you would sit in a chair and eat,
a napkin on your lap, knife in your hand.

I would have run away,
but I was too weak, a trick you taught me
while I was learning to sit and heel,
and--greatest of insults--shake hands without a hand.

I admit the sight of the leash
would excite me
but only because it meant I was about
to smell things you had never touched.

You do not want to believe this,
but I have no reason to lie.
I hated the car, the rubber toys,
disliked your friends and, worse, your relatives.

The jingling of my tags drove me mad.
You always scratched me in the wrong place.
All I ever wanted from you
was food and fresh water in my metal bowls.

While you slept, I watched you breathe
as the moon rose in the sky.
It took all my strength
not to raise my head and howl.

Now I am free of the collar,
the yellow raincoat, monogrammed sweater,
the absurdity of your lawn,
and that is all you need to know about this place

except what you already supposed
and are glad it did not happen sooner--
that everyone here can read and write,
the dogs in poetry, the cats and the others in prose.

When I heard Billy Collins read this it was warm and funny. But he's a warm and funny guy when he's not being completely incisive. When I read it to myself it was relatively threatening. Wonder what that says for me... Shocked
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey - I had the EXACT same reaction to this poem. When I heard Billy Collins read it, it sounded so weet. But when I read it, it felt so cold and angry! It MUST be the man's voice!

Wallace, our Lhasa, is having brand new anxiety issues right now. We have no idea what might have caused it, other than something occurring while we were not at home, but Wally's reaction to anxiety and fear is aggression. So last night we spent 4 hours with a dog "behaviorist" who was utterly AMAZING! And Wally has been the picture of contentment and calm ever since! We are now keeping him on a leash most of the day and confined in the breakfast room when not on a leash. I have always taken than "pack psychology" :roll:of dogs with a rather large hunk of salt, but taking charge and being in control has really calmed him down - and he seems so much calmer and more content. He's always been a little anxious - he was a foundling and we have no idea where - or how - he spent the first 6 months of his life. It's amazing to see the instant change and we now have a direction to go in to keep him feeling secure.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

Thank you! I LOVE that poem... and I'm not a dog person either. Embarassed It is wonderfully wild and a great reminder from the dog, 'You're only the leader of my pack while I say you are'. I always think of Kipling's story of 'The Cat that walked by Himself' which involves the dog too. Kipling was highly unsentimental about animals, even Rikki Tikki Tavi the mongoose.

Gingerpale,

Here, schoolboys wear a suit and school tie, so whenever I see a man in a suit, I keep thinking of him as a wearing a school uniform for a bigger boy! It's difficult to see him as a predator... a conformist perhaps, but not a predator... tho' Will Smith in Men in Black - 'You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good!' about his suit did make me think differently - briefly! Wink

I write left-handed, so in 2001 when my handwriting was falling apart due to using a keyboard too often, I chose Cancellaresca as my new script. Now I have over 400 pages of a novel written by hand in it. It's a script I love utterly and whenever people see it they always comment on how lovely it looks. ...well, if it was good enough for Shakespeare and Liz the First, then it's certainly good enough for me!

Donna,
I am sure you are far too young to recall a British 70s band - The Bay City Rollers, but whenever I think of tartan I am reminded of them. I am sure that a Black Dog would prefer Led Zeppelin and that most other dogs would prefer Iggy and the Stooges (I wanna be your dog)! Wink

As a cat person, I prefer Squeeze (Cool for Cats)! Smile
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin- I posted it for you. Glad you like him. I'm a big Billy Collins fan.

Here you can hear him read it in Segment 5: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2005/12/31/ and you'll see that he reads several others in other segments. I didn't know, until I saw it in print and read it myself, how unique his voice is. I wish I could spend an evening chatting with him.

I want you to know I couldn't agree more with your interest in letting animals be animals and enjoying them for that. There's just some hormonal thing that gingerpale explains well. But, then, nothing could surprise me more than actually responding to a dog, so I guess all things are possible and I mayrise above this mania to see her in a ballet tutu (Yes, Deb, I saw one in a shop yesterday).

Donna- Everything is funnier, wiser, more clear when Garrison Keillor is lurking somewhere nearby.
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queekie, let me add my sympathies too for your kitty.....one of mine died in my arms a couple of years back and it was a very emotional thing, but I was glad he was at home and the only one that I didn't have to have put down but went on his own......and even the last day he went for a quick walk in the yard ......

now I have 3 rescued kitties (and 2 rescued dogs, aged 19 and 15), the kitty in my avatar someone dumped on the road when she was about 6 weeks.....my not-so-cat-friendly friends say that my cats are like dogs (they do follow me on walks)
Queekie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Melinda.... Thank you for your kind heart. Moo was not in the least bit dog like, however he would go on hikes with me above lake Sonoma when we lived in Geyserville, California. We were on 260 acres of Zinfandel vines and Moo would cover every bit of ground there and then some. One evening he brought home a squirrel in his mouth that was scared & confused but once he released the squirrel it scampered up the oak tree and was not to be scene again. He would valiantly chase the wild turkeys as well even though they out weighed him by 10 kilos. I am doing much better now except I have this problem with my eyes as they seem to leak a lot...My love to you all.
climbeyalex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I have to chime in with how neat I think Guy's song is. It makes me think of a cat with a hat, sword and boots a la Puss in boots from shrek.

I would say I'm awfully guilty of babying and dressing up my cats. I would like to knit little sweaters for them only they'd die of heatstroke in sunny ole Singapore. But I DID try to dress them up last halloween. I gave it up after Kobe scratched me while I tied the little angel's halo on him. And, erm, I still baby talk to them. At the grand old age of 1 1/2 years old. And I can't pass by the pet shops without trying to buy something for my cats. Thankfully, pet shops here are limited and I've bought about everything there is to buy in the last year or so. Unfortunately, my cats would rather play with (and shred up) my ballet shoes, term papers, hair pins, Jonathan Swift's books, actually, anything BUT the cat toys I blew a fortune on for them. Sheesh. Cats. Smile
________
Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina

Last edited by climbeyalex on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: