Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Visiting Paris in February
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fondofelves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Visiting Paris in February Reply with quote

I will be visiting Paris 17-20 Feb 05; my second visit to a most beautiful city! Last trip, I visited the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, cruised the Seine, shopped at the Galerie Lafayette, saw a show at the Moulin Rouge. This time, we want to walk around various neighborhoods and have some great meals. Any advice? Where should I go, what should I see? Thank you in advance Smile
MarkC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear FondofElves (!)

Two charming areas of Paris that tourists often miss are the Parc Monceau
in the 8th arrondisement, and the area around St. Sulpice church on the left bank. The latter is a lively area of shops and restaurants, with an incredible pastry shop (I forget the name, but you'll know which one) and a chocolatier, I think it is called Piccolomini, that has the best chocolates I've ever eaten.

For restaurants, I always recommend Au Bon Accueil, a stone's throw from the eiffel tower on the left bank. Top quality bistro fare at unbelievably reasonable prices, and an excellent and reasonable wine list. I enjoyed my meal there better than at exorbitant, michelin-starred restaurants.
tea leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: we're going too! Reply with quote

Dear fondofelves
My husband I leave from Boston on the 10th and return on the 15th!
Thanks to Mark for the great recommendations we will be sure to look them up!
Will be wathcing this space for any other great recommendations anyone has!
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Chapelle(preferably on a sunny day...which may be hard to do in Feb) & the Musee Rodin....I luv to peruse the basement of Bon Marche....the largest "grocery" uv ever seen with loads of gourmet goodies...fun to look & to buy for a hotel picnic
David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never miss a trip out to the huge market (weekends) at Clingancourt. Crazy, crazy place! Lots of interesting antigues, lots of knock offs and junk too. Great people watching and street food. A tour of the sewers was absolutely fascinating as was a gentle walk around Pere LaChaise cemetery.(Oscar Wilde, Gertrude Stein and Alice, Jim Morrison and a cast of thousands). The old cathedral out at St. Denis is worth the trip as is a visit to the largely African and Arab market very close by. Another interesting if somewhat ghoulish excursion is a walk through the catacombs where the bones of many older cemeteries were reinterred after the city was redesigned.

we went to the Pantheon for the first time this last trip but it doesn't warrant a revisit.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Institute du Monde Arabe is worth a visit and we followed our visit there with lunch at Le Hammon de la Mosque (opposite Jardin de Plantes). The mosque has been converted to a restaurant where you can have a full meal or just tea and Arabian sweets.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fondofelves:

Everyone so far has given good recommendations for your upcoming trip. I'm heading back to Paris March 9 - 22, and can't wait! One of my favorite areas to explore is the Marais. A must-see in this area is the Picasso Museum. I find it to be one of the best in Paris. Also in the Marais - Place des Vosges. I believe it's the oldest square in Paris, and it's very lovely. The ground floor of the structure surrounding the square houses some decent shopping and galleries. There's a great restaurant there as well - Coconnas.
fondofelves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Suggestions! Reply with quote

Thank you all for such great suggestions!!! I will talk to my traveling companion, and will definitely let you all know where we went! In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions, we'd love to hear them!

Thanks!
Culinary Fool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Visiting Paris in February Reply with quote

An area that I think is really fun to walk is Rue Mouffetard. I found this area through a book of walks that a friend had brought along. I think it was called ParisWalks, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805061274/qid=1104687627/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-3353482-5108964?v=glance&s=books

It points out lots of little detail about the areas you are walking through, including building details and history. It's really an interesting book.

Have fun!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the idea of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, caviar in one hand, cocktail in the other, body used up & worn out, & screaming, "WOW, what a ride!"
E.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Brian's suggestion. The Marais is one of the most interesting areas in Paris. There are lots of fun shops, and that's where the best falafel is (L'As du Falafel). It's also the Jewish quarter, so there are lots of fabulous bakeries too. And the Place des Vosges is my favorite place in Paris. It's simply gorgeous, and a wonderful place to picnic (especially if it involves falafel) and people watch. It might be a bit cold right now though. Victor Hugo's house is nearby, but I wouldn't recommend going there (even though it's free).

My favorite museum in Paris is the medieval museum near the Sorbonne. It contains the gorgeous tapestries that depict the Lady with the Unicorn.

Have fun!
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culinary Fool I absolutely love your signature line! Words to live by!
Karen V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Half-day cooking class in Paris? Reply with quote

I will be visiting Paris March 9-14, my second visit and I can hardly wait. I would love to take a half-day or day French cooking class (not desserts or baking). Any suggestions?

I'm staying on Ile Ste. Louie near Notre Dame. Any recommendations for little great not-too-expensive places to eat? Only French food, please. I can get other ethnicities in the states.

I'm bringing my camera so will spend much of my time taking photos and catching a few art museums (Rodin, Picasso) and hopefully some photo galleries. I noted all the other suggestions, too.

Karen V
I'm new to this and to blogs in general so please excuse if I mess this up!
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen - I can recommend the cooking demostration at the Ritz. I did it back in 2001 but I imagine it is still available. It was a 3 hour demo with French Chef and an English translator - and you get to eat the food at the end.

At the time I booked it on the Ritz website before we left on our trip.
E.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen -- I think the Cordon Bleu program is also decent. My sister attended a half-day cooking demonstration when she visited me (when I was in Paris), and she learned how to make a full meal (and got to eat it, of course). There were quite a few one-day demonstrations, as I recall, and there were quite a few in English.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun! If you hear a noise in the background, it's because I'm gnashing my teeth with envy.
Karen V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara and E! I'm going to check them both out. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Air France is having an airfare sale through today I think so perhaps you can take advantage of it, too?!? I found even 4 or 5 days is fantastic.

Karen V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: