Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What would you do with 18 Thursdays in Paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliceBee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: What would you do with 18 Thursdays in Paris? Reply with quote

Hi
The Eiffel Tower has been scaled, the Bateaus Mouched...What would you do and where would you go if you had 18 Thursdays free and you had Paris on your doorsep? I'd love to hear from you if you have ideas on food, groovy things to see, shopping in funky places and good people-watching sites... Laughing
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Paris Reply with quote

Well, money would be a problem for me but if it were not, I'd make sure I dined at restaurants with respected cooks and shop the boutiques in the various locations around the city. Maybe take the train to Brussels for lunch. Giverny, I've done, maybe a day trip to Normandy, the possibilities are endless depending on your likes.
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to the huge department stores such as Colette or Le Bon Marché and I could probably stay there all day.
The Pere Lachaise Cemetary offers very interesting visits and you can pay hommages to Napoleon or Edith Piaf...
The Comedie Française is a magnificent building next to the Palais Royal/Louvre (I've had the chance to go backstage once) and very good plays are staged in the Salle Richelieu.
If you went on the first sunday of each month, the Louvre is free for all. But I have the feeling that with all the Dan Brown business going on lately, it's not quite deserted...

to eat, well, the few times I've been there I only tried cheap trendy eateries, mexican and cuban and greek and they were fine. Trust your instincts but do ask some advice to some real Connoisseurs

the guide du routard website (www.routard.com) probably has some good suggestions.
ejm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been to Paris twice and both times were very short stays.

But I loved people watching in Le Jardin du Luxembourg. There is a little pond there where people can rent remote-controlled toy boats. And there are several chess tables set up at one section of the walk-way relatively close to a childrens' play area.

And I could spend hours in the Madeleine looking at the wares at Hédiard and Fauchon.
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMM, shopping for clothes at the huge Galerie Lafayette near L'Opera. And as I suggested in another thread a walk through the catacombs and a tour of the sewers! Fascinating!
MaisonMetz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with 18 Thursdays in Paris? Reply with quote

[quote="AliceBee"] The Eiffel Tower has been scaled, the Bateaus Mouched...What would you do and where would you go if you had 18 Thursdays free and you had Paris on your doorsep?quote]

I'd pick a different neighborhood to explore in a different arrondissement for each Thursday. I'd research places to walk, sights of interest and a wonderful neighborhood bistro for lunch.

Thirza Vallois' trilogy "Around and About Paris" has histories and walking tours for each arrondissement. It would be a good place to start.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catacombs is a great idea... unfortunately they are closed till May 2005.

There is a walking tour compay called Paris Walks. I have attended a talk by the owner, and he was fabulous. So passionate about the history and stories connected with France and Paris in particular. If his walks are like the talk, I would love to go to every one of them. Really nice person and very knowledgable in a fun way. I think he is originally from Cornwell? They are on the web though so you might be able to log onto their site. Also have a London branch called London Walks.

The Musee du Moyen Age is fascinating and very cheap to enter. Has the tapestries of The Lady and The Unicorn.

Musee de Montmartre is really interesting and gives the history of artists in the area and the village itself. The grounds are also very nice. Very reasonable entry fee as well.

Lafayette Maison has cooking demonstrations by french chefs in the basement kitchenwares department. It is the one near Printemps near Bvd Haussmann. I always catch a bus so not sure which metro station.

Getting on the buses and just catching them all day is also a good way to see things. I have done that a few times. You just get on and get off at the terminus. Then you hop on another bus going in a different direction and get off at its terminus. Just avoid peak hour and you will get a seat and have a good "chauffer driven" tour of the city. I take along a small notebook and when I see something interesting I write it down and what bus I am on and then I can go back another day and visit.

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: