Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

banana bread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: banana bread Reply with quote

i got tons of ripe bananas... anyone got super nice recipes to share for banana bread, cakes, etc., for using them up?
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Shana,
Here are four recipes from the C&Z archives!
Clotilde.
shana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just used the "search" and got the yummy recipes.... thanks clotilde!!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shana-

Ice cream may not have been your first thought for too many bananas. But I assure you that this recipe will make you rethink that. It's easy and killer good.

Banana Ice Cream
Recipe By: Alton Brown

• 6 bananas, ripe and peeled
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 3/4 cup corn syrup
• 1 vanilla bean, or 1 tbs. vanilla seed paste
• 1 1/2 cup heavy cream

Peel bananas and place them in a ziplock bag in the freezer overnight. Remove from freezer and allow to thaw for 45 minutes to an hour. Place them in the bowl of a food processor with the lemon juice. Process for 10-15 seconds. Add the corn syrup and vanilla seeds and turn the processor on. Slowly pour in cream through the feed tube, continuing to process until smooth and completely combined.

Place mixture in the fridge until it is very cold. When cold, transfer to the can of an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions for freezing.

Transfer into an airtight freezer container and freezer for 3-6 hours before serving.

Variation: For a really decadent treat, layer frozen cream from ice cream maker in the freezer container with broken bits of nuts and ribbons of barely warm hot fudge and caramel sauces before final freezing.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I'll give it a go...must admit banana 'n ice cream Question ..bit like my sister being unable to eat chocolate-coated nuts of any kind. In her head chocolate + nuts....don't = what goes together....

am looking forward to the taste...

hugs
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bananas freeze pretty well, especially if they will be used in a bread, cake or muffin recipe. Mash up recipe-sized quantities & put in freezer bags, noting date frozen & quantity on the package.

As for bananas & ice cream, how about Bananas Foster flavor ice cream, without all the last-minute rush of the original dessert? Add mashed bananas, along with some cinnamon & dark rum & vanilla to a rich egg custard style ice cream base, using at least part brown sugar. Fold in toasted chopped pecans after freezing process & before ripening, or omit pecans & serve a dark caramel sauce, flavored with more dark rum & toasted pecans stirred into the sauce at the last minute, or with pecans as a garnish.

Ice cream & sauce could both be made in advance, re-warming sauce & adding toasted pecans to just before serving.

Personally, I think toasted nuts are better as a garnish or added to a sauce at the last minute rather than freezing the nuts. Cold dulls flavors, so as a last minute addition to sauce, or garnish, they would add a flavor boost that would be more intense than if the nuts were part of the ice cream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: