Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Jamaica!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Jamaica! Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm writing this from Kingston Jamaica, where I am volunteering with a nonprofit this summer.

Being a vegefishetarian I was a bit worried about food options, but it's been food heaven - Escoveitch fish, roast fish, jerk fish, shrimp, conch soup.. Ital cooking (with veggie/gluten chunks, rice and peas, pumpkin and curry chick peas), roti.. I could eat all day here.

Wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for Jamaica - I'm definitely on a budget (volunteering grad student), but if there's something I should not miss I might save up. I'm mostly going to be in kingston, but will have weekends to travel and a little break at the end of my stay.

any suggestions welcome! my roommate eats all meats as well, so recommendations for her welcome as well
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh- we need David to answer this! I think he and Dick lived in Jamaica for some period of time.

Hope you are enjoying yourself!
David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close Donna! The Dickster and I lived in the Cayman Islands, which at one point was administered from Jamaica and is situated just west of Jamaica. It has it's good points---especially if one is in to snorkelling and scuba and stuff aquatic but is WAY too expensive for someone on a limited budget. And unfortunately when one is living on a small island when one gets to travel one tends to go anywhere but another island so we didn't travel around there at all. I have been to Jamaica on holidays before though but stayed in one of those tourist compounds so can't really offer any insights into things to do.

Love Jamaican cooking! Ripley get yourself out there and see if you can dredge up some ackee and saltfish or some callalloo soup!
ripley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Love Jamaican cooking! Ripley get yourself out there and see if you can dredge up some ackee and saltfish or some callalloo soup!

ooh, callaloo soup sounds good.

I have had a great deal of ackee and saltfish. Ackee is rather strange (a fruit that looks and tastes like scrambled eggs and can kill you if you deal with it unripe!) but it ends up pretty tasty.

my new favorite: pepper shrimp. On the beach and at festivals people sell little bags of red shrimps that have been steamed and then they pour vinegar/scotchbonnet peppers on it. crunchy, briny, salty and pretty delicious.

and of course all the tropical fruits here are amazing..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: