Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New Toys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: New Toys Reply with quote

I just got a couple new cooking toys. I was trolling Bed, Bath & Beyond (love the 20% coupons! did you know they never expire and you can use up to 5 in one visit?) and I came home with a couple things. It's it amazing how a new toy makes you want to play in the kitchen!?

I got a fantastic grill pan with a pannini press. I have been wanting one since they became so "now" in the US but wasn't willing to have one more electrical gadget that only does one thing. One local store (a BB&B) had an All-Clad promotional set that came with a "free" apron for $130 which was more than I wanted to spend. Then yesterday I was in one closer to me and I got the same non-promotional set for $105 (some "free" apron, no?).

Last night we grilled sausages with it for sausage and pepper sandwiches. What fun to have them sizzling on both sides at once before they curl and become next to impossible to turn. And today I'm finally going to make that grilled cheese sandwich with cantal and caramelized shallots. Already did the shallots so they'll be ready to just warm*.

Then I got 2 stainless steel canisters with silicone lids. I'll keep one small one (about 12 or 14 oz.) near the cooktop for hot fats I'm disposing of. It's wide and stable and after I dispose of the cool fats, the canister can go in the dishwasher.

The second one is big (well over a quart). That one will reside where I do my veggie prep and hold the trimmings I'm accumulating for the compost pile. The lid that's very tight will keep the odors in and the fruit flies out. And, since it's silicone and expandable, it can adapt to the gases that will come and go over the course of a few days until there's enough for a trip to the compost pile. Then, again, the canister will go in the dishwasher.

I'm really very excited about this second one. Don't know how many of you compost, but it's a wonderful thing to do for your garden. And there's something completely powerful and elemental about making "dirt" out of "dinner". At least in my eccentric world...

Finally, I ran across a re-sale section in BB&B that I've never noticed they had before and got a 10" Caphalon sauté pan for half it's $30 price.

Good day at BB&B for me!

* As I was sautéing the shallots it occurred to me that they could be very interesting in buttermilk pancakes if you substituted cornmeal for some of the flour. I can see them served with brochettes of beef or slices of brisket and a savory gravy.

Maybe someone will get around to that before I do. I think of so many more things than I can get to.
msue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, check out this epicurious recipe for cornmeal buttermilk waffles: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/14251

We've always served it with maple syrup, but since the recipe contains no sweetner, you could easily adapt it to a savory version with shallots. This is one of our favorite special breakfasts. We've also made this with added blueberries, which is soooo good.

As to your BB&B discoveries - very nice! I've looked at those grill pans with the ridged cast iron lids before. My BB&B has the most unpleasant parking on the planet, especially this time of year when the heat is unforgiving. Thanks for the tip that the coupons don't expire!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, here's an interesting irony.

Linens & Things honors all of BB&B's coupons; the 20% off ones, the $5 for each purchase over $15, etc. But there's no limit to how many you can use.

Last time we were in there we used 7 of the 20 percenters. And then got an additional five bucks off the remaining total.

Just something to keep in mind if you have both in your area.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my newest kitchen toy:

It's silicone which is gonna beat those articulated metal thingies hands down. Not sure what I'll steam with it but I picked those little bitty squashes so I could take it's pic with something inside. Naturally, it's got the little legs that will keep it just above the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: