Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New York news?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: New York news? Reply with quote

I know we've done our share of talking about New York (oh, can one ever talk too much about New York?!?).
I changed my travelling plans - won't go to California in september - but will spend a good six days in NYC. Have my flight, have my hotels (3 days in Soho, just for the fun of it, and 3 days in midtown-manhattan - I mean, I really need to do some shopping and theatre-ing!) and I have 'the list' Clotilde made out of all the tips from 2 years ago. So all I'm asking I guess is: what's new, and what's not to miss this time ? any quirky, fun shops (I SO enjoyed that rice-pudding only thing!) or restaurants or cafés?

THANKS!!!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan, when in September will you be in NY? We'll be there from September 7th - 15th. We could meet up somewhere and get Erin to come along too!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you were going to come to CA and I found out just in time to be disappointed? Sad

Oh well, have a fabulous trip and mabbee next time for us out here on the Left Coast...
swan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, yes...sorry Rainey!!

And Judy, now there's a plan!! I'll be there sep 1-7 but I fly out late(10 PM) on the 7th - maybe we can meet for lunch, tea or drinks?? that would be great end of my week! (or meet at JFK Smile ah well, preferably not!)
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan, this place isn't exactly new, but it's certainly worth knowing about - the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. Great ice cream and they've got all sorts of flavours you won't find anywhere else (lychee, jackfruit, red bean, almond cookie etc.). I have fond memories of a visit with an old friend after a splendid (and unbelievably cheap) meal at a little Chinese place whose name I'm afraid I don't recall...

I think Donna is probably THE person to ask about New York though. I remember her post a few months ago about her last trip, which all but had me drooling on the keyboard. Wink
swan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back - totally jet-lagged. But OH...what a city!! Once again I had the best timer ever, following again lots of your leads from previous posts, including the China Town Ice Cream Factory (WOW).
AND, most imprtant, I had a GREAT meeting with our Judy and her husband Greg, and with dear David. (So sorry you couldn't make it, Erin!)
Will tell more later, but it was lovely, wonderful and so great to meet eachother - all of us tourists in NY, immediate 'click', had a wonderful time, a nice meal, and not nearly enough time.
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan! You vivacious beauty you! I've described our day in the resurrected "Joy of meeting C & Zers face to face" thread in the "other things Forums! Oh and i'm totally addicted to those fabulous cinnamon sticks!!
jenyfari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got back from New York a couple of weeks or so ago. My first trip - actually my first trip to the States. What a great city. Can't wait to get back there.

Next time I go I will come back here to ask for good places to eat. We ate at most of the touristy type places like Hard Rock Cafe. The Red Lobster and so on. Would like to get a bit more into the real food next time.
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just booked my (gulp) 40th in NYC for Oct 12 -15th. Now comes the fun part of picking the perfect restaurants!

I haven't been back (except for business) in a few years - any not to miss advice?
swan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog, happy B-day, 40 is quite young, some here will say..Smile

I just got back, and had a lot of advise from last time, when Clotilde was in NY (and I was there too - I kept the tips and re-used them two weeks ago). Some things I really liked:
* The blue water grill at Union Square
* Union square café (next to the blue water grill, both quite'nice', had great lunches there!)
* the Shake Shank in Madison Sq. park! Open from 11-11 and always a line there - good burgers, hotdogs, shakes and so on. Lots of fun to sit there in nice weather!
* China Town Ice Cream Factory - in China Town, yes :-)on 65 Bayard Street, buy your icecream (I had black sesame, lychee and pandan) and walk two blocks down to enjoy your icecream in the park seated amongst the elderly chinese women!
* sip an ice cold drinking chocolate at Vosges in Prince Street (and buy the bar with almonds and smoked seasalt (or something like that)
* the laboratorio del gelato in LES
* Zabars, upper west. The shop, don't forget the mezzanine level, and the goodies in the coffeshop next door, bagels, blinzes, the lot!
* Fairways, a wonderful foodmarket a few houses down from Zabars

Just walk around, look, feel and enjoy!!
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And swan knows all about "enjoy"!! Very Happy
LisaSinDallas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: New York News Reply with quote

I'm new to Forum, but travel to New York frequently. On last trip, I visited Eleven Madison Park, where I had one of my better meals. You can never go wrong at Gramercy Park Tavern. Also, go to the Carlyle on the upper East side for a cocktail in Bemelman's Bar - or try the newly-redecorated Campbell's Apartment for one of their signature cocktails. It's a gorgeous historic space within Grand Central Station.
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Swan and Lisa. I thought I might share my ititierary so far:

Friday Dinner: Blue Hill
Sat Break: H&H bagels
Sat Lunch: Momofuku (Noodles or Ssam?) or 'ino (shake shack??)
Sat Dinner: Craft or Eleven Mad Park (maybe WD-50 for dessert??)
Sun Brunch Cookshop, Wallse or Balthazar

I grew up in the area, so know the old NY classics (U SQ, Zabars, etc). I love Grammercy Tavern, so wonder if i should try Craft, instead of yet another Danny Meyers restaurant. Plus, I will be joined by my dearest freind from Maine, and think EMP may be too formal.

Will also be trying to fit in Il Lab Gelato (&/or Chinatown Ice cream??), and Chickolicious for mid afternoon dessert, plus the manditory slice of pizza. And a grey's papaya dog. But I have to be back in NJ for Sunday dinner, so my mom can lavish the b-day wishes, as well.

So much to eat, so little time!
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Blue Water Grill (it's noisy - but great) and Laboratoria del Gelato - I think it's on Orchard Street.

Also, I see you've been turned on to Momofuku. We went there in August and I am still savoring the memory of all the different, unusual and spectacular things we ate. Just off the charts! - very small, very casual and very delicious!

Spotted Pig is a wonderful "gastropub" in the West Village- very in with the young hipsters right now. I believe Mario Batali is an investor in this joint. Really great and very unusual pub food. We saw JayZ and Jon Bon Jovi the night we were there. They have great martinis also! AND - they do Brunch! http://www.thespottedpig.com/

Much to my surprise, I LOVED the cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery. I wouldn't buy one when we walked by, but one of my son's roommates bought some for dessert and they were divine! Luscious fluffy crumb and not-too-sweet frosting.

OOOH - have fun!
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Donna! I have been thinking about the spotted pig for brunch, too, but they don't take reservations! I am with 6 people, so it is tough to do brunch w/ out a resie!

Glad to hear the good momofuku review - did you do noodles or ssam? the noodle bar is moving this month to a bigger place....and magnolia, hmmmm. was thinking sunshine, but will see where the day takes me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: