Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris restaurants good for singles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mtngirl6co

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Paris restaurants good for singles Reply with quote

Hi,

I am traveling to Paris in early November solo. Does anyone have any recommendations for great restaurants where a single can experience great food and be comfortable? I have been twice before but this is my first time traveling alone. Thanks.
jenyfari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough question which is probably why you haven't had any responses yet. I am probably not going to be much help either but at least it will bump this post up to the top so you might get some more answers.

I think it is just a matter of being brave and heading in to these places on your own.

Maybe you are wanting eating establishments with English speaking staff?? That will at least be one hurdle you won't have to encounter - unless of course you speak French.
simona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenyfari,
I think you can eat alone LUNCH in anyone of the big-name restaurants, without feeling uneasy- busimen/businesswomen do it. . In the evening though,- of course you can do it too-, but I presume you will feel uncomfortable. But if it has to be dinner I would choose one of the big Brasseries ( Bofinger, Julien , Gare du Nord etc)- . I did it several times, it's really OK. Bon Appetit!!

No more war
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was a topic on this a while ago.

Anywhere is pretty ok to dine on your own. there is no problem with it. The only thing is how comfortable you are dining on your own. Take a good book and enjoy!!
Mtngirl6co

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for responding. I do not have issues eating alone but I wasn't sure culturally how it would fit. I will have to look up the restaurants mentioned as I am not aware of them.

Linda
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,
I was in Paris by myself in November last year and I went to restaurants on my own but only at lunch as I was staying with French friends so dinners were spent with Parisians. I went to Comptoir at 9 carrefour de l'Odeon, a really nice bistro by Yves Camdeborde (ancien chef at the Crillon). Also had a very good Basque lunch at L'Ami Jean on rue Malar in the 7th. The chef serves a wonderful rice pudding in the manner of his grandma. There were some nice french people at the next table who were quite friendly and we had a nice conversation. Another favorite of mine is L'Ardoise on rue du Mont Thabor in the 1st (I always visit that restaurant whenever I am in Paris).
Bon appetit and enjoy yourself in Paris. I love being there in the fall - for the chasse and the wild mushrooms, lots of chestnuts as well.
-Lilia
Mtngirl6co

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lilia I will check out the restaurants you mentioned. This is my third trip to Paris in the fall. It is indeed my favorite time to go.

Linda
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,
Hubby and I just got our trip confirmed and we'll be there early November. We'll be staying at the Hotel Claude Bernard Saint Germain on rue des Ecoles. I believe Erin and her husband will be spending their anniversary in Paris at about the same time as well. Woudn't it be nice if we all run into each other. Madame Shawshank would be pleased to hear about more C&Zers getting together.
As Simona would say - No more wars, more C&Zers getting together......
Lilia
Mtngirl6co

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilia,

Yes that would be lovely. I will be in Paris from November 4 till the 9th. I am staying at the Hotel Therese located on the street by the same name.

Linda
truffle-lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Another solo traveller Reply with quote

Hi Linda. I'm going to Paris on my own for the first time in February. Can you share any tips you learned from your experience eating alone?
Thanks
Dana
minty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Debbie and the others - as a single Parisian woman, I feel pretty comfortable eating out alone, especially in the many brasseries and with a good book, but I can also just sit and gaze at people ...sometimes I begin to talk with tourists...it can be very enjoyable ! Wink
Mtngirl6co

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dana,

I'm excited for you! Paris is simply divine. I had a great time. I really had no issues eating out. Each day I started by eating at my hotel. Their breakfast was lovely, alittle pricey, but it was worth it. Then lunch I would either eat in a restaurant in a museum or some little bistro I found while exploring. My favorite was a lunch at Ciel de Paris, 33 Avenue du Maine, Montparnasse. It's 56 stories up with stunning view of Paris. My funniest moment was when I dropped a fork in a bistro one night. I didn't know the work for fork so I was wondering how I was going to get another one. Very funny. The folks sitting next to me came to my rescue and helped me learn the french word for fork. All in all I had no issues really. Oh too the restaurant in the Musee De Orsay is wonderful for lunch.

Best Wishes,

Linda
truffle-lover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Linda! I sounds like you had a great trip Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: