Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Breakfast inspiration
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eileen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Breakfast inspiration Reply with quote

ok, I know, I KNOW, I should eat breakfast. But...it's all so...so...bland, mushy, raisin-infested...
What do you eat on a workday morning, when you don't have time? (Besides g-r-u-e-l, of course.)
ISOI (in search of inspiration),
ps my all-time favorites include cold pizza, whose garlic essences don't go down well with my students, so please don't suggest kim-chi Very Happy
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too sometimes get tired of muesli and yoghurt (though I know it's good for me!)... so when boredom strikes I usually make a big pot of fruit compote (whatever is in season - red fruits in summer, figs in autumn, apple/pear/pumpkin in winter) and have a small bowlful of it with plain yoghurt on top alongside my cereal. I make the compote on Sunday and it usually sees me through the next 3-4 days.

I have also been known to eat leftovers for breakfast, but even then I still seem to have an anti-garlic reflex - much as I love the stuff I can't bring myself to eat it before noon. Razz
climbeyalex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I ever ear museli and yogurt is in a little place in Thailand where she uses a mysterious but yummy museli. My breakfast is usually done scavanger style, I'll dig around the kitchen for anything that's inoffensive, crackers with a milky drink, peanut butter and nutella sandwiches, a boiled egg if I have the time or oatmeal squres cereal with chocolate milk.
________
herbalAire vaporizers

Last edited by climbeyalex on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must eat breakfast or I cannot survive the day.... but I find it difficult to know what to have also. Some mornings I am so undecided that it turns into more of a morning tea/brunch than breakfast. Not good for the metabolism really, but cannot be helped.

I hate sweet breakfast cereals, and most cereals in general. Do not drink milk, and find a fruit breakfast is not filling and does not sustain me.

Normally I have a fromage blanc with rhubarb compote. It is nice as the fromage blanc keeps you going longer, and the rhubarb is tart not sweet. A good wake up for the taste buds.

Other choices are a cold boiled egg, slices of ham, slices of cheese, tomato, leftover veg made into a fritatta or omelette, porridge in winter (made with milk and not served with milk or cream). I basically just open the fridge and see what takes my fancy that morning. A huge glass of water is also a must have.

On the weekend I will do a cooked breakfast on one of the days, and something else brunch like on the other day. On these days I will have baguette or toast as well as a pot of tea.
ripley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ital friends in Jamaica insist that cold food is bad for you for breakfast.

I don't know about that but I love:

Miso soup, with cayenne. Those little 1-cup packs of dry miso and tofu are great.

or if I'm not too hungry I warm up with hot water, a lemon (squeezed in, plus some of the rind), honey, ginger, and cayenne.

cayenne gets my blood circulating and clears out my sinuses. Miso soup is good for the digestion, if high in salt..
Nicki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good grief ripley, that sounds absolutely hideously healthy! Urgh!

No cereal for me as I cant stand the milk, but orange juice, breakfast tea and toast most days for me. A banana if I'm running late, or scrambled egg or beans or spaghetti hoops on toast if I'm hungover!

Porridge is lovely in the winter, with a little sugar, or stewed apple, or banana perhaps. Isn't it absurd, considering that breakfast is supposedly "the most important meal of the day" that its so boring? How I would love to start my day everyday in a small cafe drinking good coffee and eating a pastry....yum. But I hate to see (as one does quite often in European hotels) people tucking into fatty, luminous pink slices of meat and processed cheese...makes me heave!
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making my own bread lately so often I just have that toasted with some butter and jam/marmalade or if I'm feeling a bit salty rather than sweet I have vegemite or baba ganoush (although not when I'm going to work- garlic breath).

And I love plum porridge (although that may fall under the 'gruel' heading Very Happy ) - I stew red plums in the summer time and then put them in the freezer and add them to my porridge in the wintertime.

Whatever it is that I eat, it is always accompanied by at least one (but usually two) mugs of milky coffee I have to have the caffeine or I'm unbearable by about 10am.
msue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if we're making a big weekend breakfast or I'm grabbing something on the way out the door, I must have plain Greek-style yogurt to start the day. I usually open a small container of Fage yogurt, cover it with blueberries (or sometimes a scoop of some crunchy cereal, like grape-nuts), and gobble that down. They must put something addictive in that yogurt, because I'm hooked. If there's ever a shortage, someone put me out of my misery.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, msue. Somehow, along the way, I missed Greek yogurt until recently. What a loss...But yogurt topped with a banana (and/or other fruit) and some granola or almonds is really a pretty good breakfast. Protein from the yogurt, potassium from the banana, and all the benefits we're supposed to get from almonds. It keeps me going much better than many other bigger breakfasts, of which I'm not a fan anyway.

I think the world is divided into two camps: those who adore going out for breakfast and ordering lots of food, and those who hate rolling out of bed and heading for a restaurant first thing. I'm in the latter camp. A light breakfast, a great cup of coffee, the newspaper, and a few moments of quiet is my preference. Now that I have little people (g'children) around my house 3 mornings per week, I appreciate it even more!
bluedog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eileen, i understand your woes. I do not like to eat upon waking, but know my body needs it. and protein is what i really need, not all the starch and sugars in cereals, oats, etc. so beyone the maditory coffee, i eat hard cooked eggs on the go. if you don't overcook them, they are actually quite nice w/ a little salt & pepper. i do a half dozen on sunday night and have a weeks worth or top a salad.

i am also addicted to cheese for breakfast, and tomato juice or v8 gets me going (w/ some cayenne - ripley) and i do agree about fage yogurt w/ fruit or maybe honey - YUM.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary to think it now, but coffee and cigarettes used to be all I needed and all I wanted for breakfast!
ripley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicki wrote:
Oh good grief ripley, that sounds absolutely hideously healthy! Urgh!

well, i dunno what to say :)

no it's not?

well ok, it is healthy, but you know, it also tastes good! tasty salty miso soup, I learned it from my Japanese friend - apparently she grew up with miso for breakfast.

and hot lemon ginger spice honey drink, does that make it sound more dangerous?
simona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned the Israeli breakfast in a post on another forum, but I'll post it again. Very different from anything else mentioned on this forum.
We just had our late Saturday ( Shabath) late breakfast; a big salad composed of diced tomatoes, cucumbers, red and green peepers, some scallions, olive oil and lemon . We were three and each had his eggs in a different way; my husband is an soft omlet with feta cheese person, I prefer the "eye" Shocked version of eggs, and our daughter, she's likes her omlet well cooked, -overcooked in my opinion-, with fresh herbs. on the table were good olives, 5% fat "soft white cheese" and cottage cheese , leftovers of herring from yesterday's dinner, toasts and some black bread, homemade plum marmelade and of course , coffee ( Nesscaffe, sorry, we are not coffee gourmets) with milk. Of course there will be no lunch, and we'll have early dinner ( aroun 6p.m.)
Don't you think that's the everyday breakfast ceremony here!: but on Saturday we indulge. Smile
BUt even on everyday basis, it's toasts with low fat cheese and tomato/cucumber/pepper slices- vegetables are really there, every morning.My husband, who has a sweet tooth likes jams etc. I prefer to abstain.
We don't have cakes/croissants etc/ for breakfast, though the young generation is hooked on cereals.
The most amazing breakfasts are served in hotels, where you have many kinds of salads and vegetables, eggs,cereals, fruits, about ten kinds of cheese, various breads and pastries ( in hotel you have croissants etc) pancakes, picckled herrings and salmon etc etc. It;'s a feast. But you'll never find any salami or pastrami or any kind of meat: in hotels , because of kosher reasons, but actually, Israelis don't like meat for breakfast, we are more cheese persons. Meat is for lunch and dinner.
So good morning to you all, and if you happen to be in the region, I can promise you a very good israeli breakfast !!

No more war, we want healthy food for breakfast, not rockets!!
David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona that all sounds just so lovely! I was delighted once to have breakfast in a tiny, now closed, Egyptian cafe near here and it was similar to what you have described--tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, olive oil, hummus, pita style bread and cooked white beans swimming in olive oil and topped with about a tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic. I loved it--not so sure the dental hygienist I saw right after was quite so happy about it though!!
simona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, once in a while, in winter, we go and have breakfast in the Yemenite quarter of Tel Aviv, where we have, like you did, hummous with foul ( a kind of bean cooked for many hours) topped with a sliced hard boiled egg , hot special pitas ( spongy, not the bread like regular ones), with a lot of SHOOG,( a fresh coriander based condiment), a big salad and strong black coffee with cardamom ( or tea with mint leaves).
We are going to be in Austria for the next two weeks, but no Austrian breakfast for us: as we have rented a fully equipped appartment, going to shop for morning vegetables will be the first thing to do.
Actually, it's hard to find really good fruit and vegetables in the mountains , but the scenery is worth the effort!
When younger, I used to love the English breakfast. Not for my clogged artheries anymore!
I also love the greek breakfast, based on youghurt and honey. But only after the eggs and the salad!!

No more war, let's eat breakfast together!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: