Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

All-apple-things!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilyj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for that recipe Debbie- what an interesting combination! I will definitely be trying it with the bag of granny smiths that I have in the fridge at the moment.
VitaAqua

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to make an apple pie filling and the crust but instead of making a huge pie, I take the filling and crumble the crust up and use it as a topping on vanilla ice cream. It's like an apple pie sundae.
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an apple crisp with Granny Smith and Gravenstein apples over the weekend and used candied nutmeg which my good friend brought back from a 3 month trip to Indonesia last year.

Candied nutmeg is made from the fruit that surrounds the seed - which is the part we grind up for nutmeg spice. It's not as sharp tasting as ground nutmeg, but does have a pleasant spiciness to it.

This is what mine looks like.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/623087.html

Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg

I knew about mace - the coating of the nutmeg seed - but I never knew there was fruit around the seed! DUH!

I sliced the apples (6-7) and sprinkled finely minced candied nutmeg and candied ginger (1Tbsp. of each). (In maybe a 6"x8" pyrex baking dish) Then I added an oat/whole wheat crust with brown sugar and butter. I decided NOT to add cinnamon, because I wanted the nutmeg/ginger flavor to shine through - and cinnamon is rather forward, I think!

I was pleased with how it turned out and Sam - the hubs, gleefully gobbled it up! Probably only because I used whole wheat flour! Wink

I haven't been able to find asource in the Web, so if anyone knows where one might purchase this, let us know![/b]
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - the Boozie's Apple cake is from the Cafe Beaujolais Restaurant (in Mendecino, CA)Cookbook - and it is EASY as can be and JUST delicious! Literally takes maybe 15 minutes to put topgether and that includes chopping the apples. Boozie was actually the name of somoeone's grandmother - hmmm............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: