Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What's Your Favorite European Destination?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bainst

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin,
Trust me, I have to wear enough body armor in my regular life, that I won't introduce it into my recreation time. Rolling Eyes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15538650@N08/sets/72157602533646358/show/with/1804887993/
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing those photos.

Hadrian's Wall is great. Have been to quite a lot of it. You just need to remember which side you are on..... literally and figuratively..... Laughing My husband told me off for attempting to drop the trews at the southern side.... I tried to explain that it is just a natural impulse for those north of the wall... Wink lol

Only 2 more sleeps and I will be in the south in my new swimsuit reclining on the beach and doing nothing more energetic than refilling my glass of rose...... sigh
David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great show bainst (Tamar) thanks soo much for sharing!!
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating to see you all togged up, armour and all!!! I see what you mean, you could give the Scots (and the English) quite a shock turning up on Hadrian's wall dressed up like that!!

I hope you get to spend more time out of armour than in it! I now have a mental image of you dressed like a knight on horseback... now how's THAT for armour?!!! Shocked

Take care you!
dory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Paris and have been many times. The fly in the ointment (does that count as a food idiom?" (Sorry, sorry sorry for my warped sense of humor!!!)) is that there are too many tourists-- especially in August when the city is full of tourists and almost nobody who actually lives there is around. I will be going as soon as I have the money because I need to visit a friend, but expect to find hordes of other tourists. Maybe I could go in November or February!
I have the same problem with Provence where I lived for a year before it became quite so trendy as it is now, although I think there is nobody left alive from the pre-WWI times when Provence was not even a bit trendy. However I have been rendered teary-eyed by standing in the Gare St. Charles in Marseille, and I think Marseille may still be gritty enough to avoid being completely touristy, although I haven't been for a while. Provence is wonderful in the fall when the leaves are turning (not as spectacular as in the U.S. Midwest where I live, but gently nice)and the markets are full of fall produce.

Someplace I love is north central Spain (Asturias or Cantabria which are less popular than the Basque country or Galicia). I also lived there for a year, and would go back if given a chance and if I could take my dogs. If you go, enjoy the intense green countryside and be sure to drink hard cider in a small bar that also serves tapas (called pinchos locally).Be sure to bring a rain jacket, water resistant shoes and an umbrella, as there is frequent drizzle. For big cities I would recommend Oslo. It looks like a cross between a city and a park, and the fjord is amazing. In summer the sunlight is incredible. It doesn't seem, as heavily touristed as some other parts of Europe. Good heavens. I really sound misanthropic, don't I? Refusing to go anyplace where others go? I am not really that terrible.

Dory
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* Of course I want to see Paris. I had a one week cooking class in Roanne, about an hour NW of Lyon three years ago. We did do a day trip to Lyon and I want to go back there. I'd also like to go to the Aquitaine region and see the sites associated with Eleanor of same.
And Glastonbury, England. And Sicily to see the ancient sites and place where "Inspector Montalbano" is filmed.
La NiƱa del pimiento

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granada, Spain- It is one of the best cities I have been to (and lived in briefly). Go at Christmas and you'll love the lit streets and roasting chestnuts being sold on the sidewalks. The best part is that it is a small, very walkable city, located at the base of the Sierra Nevada. The population is young and slightly hippy and the culture is traditional Spanish mixed with a large Moroccan influence in the Albaicin (a great place for Tea, hookah, baklava, and tagine). The Alhambra guards the city and the most breathtaking view of the entire city including the Alhambra is at the Miradores de San Nicolas. Just incredible...I could go on all day about this city not to mention the incredible food (very big portions and free tapas) and wonderful asmosphere. It is cozy and vibrant and close to the mountains for snow sports, or the beach for swimming.

Another favorite of mine is Cinque Terre, Italy. It is five small villages located on the Italian Riviera. I have been twice and have truly enjoyed the pesto as it originates in Liguria. Yummy!

Finally, I have to agree with Dora on Northern Spain, it is rainy and green but wonderful. I was able to spend a week in Pamplona with friends during San Fermines last year. The best food and beautiful landscape.

Paris, London, Florence, Venice, Rome, and Tuscany are all on my list as well, but sometimes I think for an authentic experience you have to go to the small towns like Stratford Upon Avon, Tours, Nimes, Avignon, Nerja, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: