Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dried Mushrooms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Dried Mushrooms Reply with quote

I've never had to use dried mushrooms, because when I lived full time in Chicago, good mushrooms were a 10 minute car trip away.

However, when I am in the country and I need to grocery shop at TinyTown USA grocery stores (my name, not theirs), I find that WHITE button mushrooms are the ONLY type they carry. Evil or Very Mad

The only "experience" that I have with dried mushrooms is reading about them in a Willa Cather story, and the person who received them, not knowing what a delicacy they were, promptly threw them out! Laughing

My grocery DOES carry dried: morels, shittake, wood, enoli?, and other sorts, but before I hand over the cash, I need to know:

*Do they taste AS good as fresh?

*Do they "all taste the same" when re-hydrated?

*Do they taste/feel rubbery?

And....HOW do you rehydrate them, as the packages don't include ANY instructions.

I am expecting a HUGE crop of morel mushrooms in my back yard this Spring, so if you know, I'd also like to know how to dry morel mushrooms, or for that matter, any that I pick up in the market.

And I'm NOT interested in buying a commercial dehydrator! I did that 'gig' in the 70's....Been there-Done that-Bought the t-shirt!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cover them with boiling water for an hour or so, and sometimes I use the liquid in the dish. I have always gotten good results using dried mushrooms and have used morels, porcinis and chanterelle. I feel they all produced a strong final product especially the porcinis.

Have fun, they are easy to use!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you to have a variety of fresh mushrooms. I can only get morels & porchini dried so I couldn't compare the them to fresh but they are very nice cooked into sauces.

I rehydrate mine in a jar of warmish water. I strain out the liquid and use it too.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Erin and Rainey: thanks for the info! It's weird how my wee grocery stores will have such a plethora of dried mushrooms (exotic to be sure) yet they only sell icky button mushrooms as fresh. Question

Rainey: people kept roaming the woods that adjoin my cottage, in spring, and I couldn't figure out "what they lost". So, I finally went out and asked a Dad and Son, and they said that they were "Mushroom hunting!"

They came over to my place and found a pound of morels....I had NO IDEA at all that they were here, so I split it with them and they were thrilled. The wee boy continued to look at my property, found another pound under some elm leaves but gave me the entire amount. You should have heard this little tyke, all of about 9 years old: he was advising me the best way to saute them, to cook with them!

A chef in the making, to be sure!
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to emphasize what Rainey mentioned. STRAIN the juice you've rehydrated the 'shrooms in as they can often be a bit gritty.
wasabi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dried Mushrooms Reply with quote

i've had stellar dried varieties and horrible fresh ones (they weren't maintained very well at the shop). I think the dried ones are a safe bet. just let them steep in warm water until soft. and david is right, strain the liquid otherwise you're dish will end up kinda crunchy. the liquor is gorgeous, i would never throw it out. we used dried porcini in a mushroom risotto and saved the mushroom juices. we reduced it with a bit of barolo (not enough dough to buy more than a bottle, so every bit of your one counts) and drizzled that over and around the plate. talk about finger lickin' good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: