Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tagine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Tagine Reply with quote

I have just been very self-indulgent and bought myself a tagine. It looks absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to use it. I have found a few recipes, but would love to read any tips, recipes, stories from anyone who has one. Thanks in advance!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,
You will love it! I have had one for a few years now and it is wonderful! I will look for some recipes for you!

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erin, that would be great. I made a chicken, preserved lemon and vegetable tagine one night, then a lamb, vegetable and honey tagine last night and both were delicious and easy to make. I'm not used to cooking meat with fruit, so haven't ventured into cooking with any dates, apricots, raisins etc. It's all good fun, though
ejm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
I'm not used to cooking meat with fruit, so haven't ventured into cooking with any dates, apricots, raisins etc.

Judy, do try the fruits with meat!

One of our absolute favourite dishes is chicken with dried apricots and prunes. We based it on a recipe for lamb and dried fruit in "A Culinary Guide to Herbs, Spices and Flavourings" by Arabella Boxer

We don't have a tagine (lucky you!) and just use our wok to prepare it.

-Elizabeth
Culinary Fool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Tagine Cooking Reply with quote

Judy:
I can recommend two very similar cookbooks (at first I thought one was an update of the other but it's not). Try either Cafe Morocco http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0809226677/qid=1106781863/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/102-3353482-5108964 or Moroccan Cafe http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1930603568/qid=1106781863/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-3353482-5108964

They both have several tagine recipes. And the fruit with meat is really wonderful - go for it! :-)

B
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the idea of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, caviar in one hand, cocktail in the other, body used up & worn out, & screaming, "WOW, what a ride!"
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, ejm & CF. Your chicken with dried fruits is on the menu for dinner tonight, Elizabeth.

Culinary Fool, I love your signature statement!
sumitsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Chicken and lamb tagines Reply with quote

I found two amazing tagine recipes at the New York Times. The chicken with preserved lemons and olives is especially tasty. I preserved some lemons from the garden which taste really wonderful in this dish. The link to the recipes is http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2004/02/13/dining/cooking/
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic recipes! Thanks sumitsen.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll get me a tagine too. It sounds fun.
ejm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
Your chicken with dried fruits is on the menu for dinner tonight, Elizabeth.

I really hope you liked it, Judy!

-Elizabeth
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all enjoyed it very much, Elizabeth. Thanks so much!
ejm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, Judy! And don't thank me. Thank my Godmother - she gave us the cookbook and pointed to that very page that we based our recipe on. Smile
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys tell me a little bit about tagines? Many years ago I had Thai food in an upscale, trendy restaurant that was/was served in a tagine but I can't say I really remember the flavor -- only the distictive dish. My memory is rusty but I think the selection I was served so long ago had individual bits of meat in a sauce in individual depressions in the dish beneath the lid. Many, many trips to other more casual neighborhood Thai restaurants since have featured nary a thing that resembled Three Mile Island.

So, does "tagine" refer to the recipe/genre of food or to the prep/serving container with the tall conical lid? Does the distinctive shape have a function? I can see that the heavy glazed clay would act to sustain and diffuse heat but I can't quite understand what part the height plays. Are these things traditionally used in an oven or over a fire? I'd love to learn more about it.

Thanks for sharing what you've learned. Meanwhile, I think I'll stop into the Sur La Table when I'm next in the vicinity and examine the tagines they have more closely.
Culinary Fool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainey!
Tagine refers to both the cooking pot and the actual food, which is more or less a stew. I think of Tagines (both the food and the pot) as being Moroccan and I would think other areas nearby probably employ the same technique.

Most tagine recipes I've seen are a combination of meats and fruits, which is typical of the Moroccan style. However, you can adapt the method to nearly anything.

The Tagine pot can be used in the oven or on stovetop, although most recipes I've seen call for extended oven time. Basically, during that part of the cooking you're just braising everything. I think the conical shape helps redirect the condensation back into the tagine.

There are some really beautiful examples out there. Sur la Table has some very colorful examples. However, I've seen them for much more resaonable prices at other places. Tagines seem to be coming into "style" and (at least in Seattle) I'm starting to see them in quite a few places. I think Crate and Barrel carries a couple, too.

I've been coveting one but really don't have the space to store something so large that I wouldn't use that often. So I just use one of my Calaphalon large pans and have found those work well for the recipes.

Hope that helps at least a little!

B
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the idea of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, caviar in one hand, cocktail in the other, body used up & worn out, & screaming, "WOW, what a ride!"
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post CF. I gather the tagine was originally 'invented' so that Moroccans could turn an open flame into an oven or at least something that would cook food more slowly.

A tagine recipe could be cooked in a slow oven, or in a tagine - I wouldn't put my tagine cooking pot in an oven, it would barely fit!

Cooking time depends on what is being cooked - fish, chicken and vegetarian tagines generally only take 30-40 minutes cooking time. Lamb, beef, goat (camel, kangaroo, biffalo-buffalo-bison etc etc) would take longer depending on the cut of meat you're cooking.

And then, just to confuse us all just a bit more, there are Serving tagines as well as Cooking tagines. I guess the Serving tagines aren't used for cooking, just for looking beautiful on the dinner table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: