Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Avocado oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Avocado oil Reply with quote

So there it was on the shelf----organic avocado oil, $17 for 250mls. So of course I bought it!!!! Yummy light avacado flavour, but other than on a salad does anyone have any ideas as to what to do with the stuff? Any special vinaigrette recipes?? I really have to admit that until now I didn't know such an oil was available.
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David.....I have some too that's been sitting on the shelf waiting for a special opportunity/suggestion, so I am anxious to see if anyone has one
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- I've never used avocado oil (though now that you mention it, it might be an interesting thing to look for). What occurs to me is a mayonnaise. I always add mayonnaise to my guacamole because I think it smooths out the flavor. I think I'd use lemon juice as the acid and put in some very finely chopped bits of sundried tomato. Mabbee a tiny bit of cilantro if you're into cilantro.

If you have a small whisk and your wrist is good or your roomie is there for relief whisking you could reserve just a small amount of egg yolk from a morning omlette and experiment without putting much of this expensive oil at risk.

If you give it a whirl, let me know what you think. This tastes pretty freakin' good in my imagination.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only used avocado oil in facial masks.

"It's hot ham water."
swan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bottle of avocado-oil also did not yet come any further then salads...yet!
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried a simple vinaigrette using lemon as Rainey suggested and just a small dab of dijon mustard----very very nice! Am going to do the next one with champagne vinegar.

For facials Erin!!! But yes, I've seen avacodo face masks so why not the oil eh?
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Avocado oil...mmmm Reply with quote

I'd just like to put my 2 cents in about avocado oil which. I was given this bottle of beautiful organic avocado oil, and after experiementing have found that my favourite recipe to date is making a light vinaigrette with lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, and a small amount of wholegrain mustard. Serve this over any fresh seasonal vegetables - including avocados in the salad is particularly good. The other perfect complement served with whatever salad you make, is lightly toasted seeds or nuts - sunflower seeds are great, and cashews also work well. They nicely complement the avocado taste.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using it for facials! In fact before I decided culinary arts was my calling, esthetics was my thing. I loved whipping up all kinds of natural beauty products so much that I changed my mind. I am so glad I did, I have heard horror stories from estheticians and I am a bit of a germaphobe.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums (fori?) Bekbeka! I love your suggestion of using nuts or seeds with a salad using the avocado dressing! Will certainly use that idea---sunflower seeds pop up as ideal!

Erin---I guess it really is no big leap from preparing products for aesthetic purposes and cooking is it. Both are basically matters of chemistry. But I'm glad you chose cooking or we all here wouldn't have benefitted so much from your presence here!
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw shucks.

"It's hot ham water."
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Avocado oil Reply with quote

I use avocado oil for everything. Mine has lemon in it. You can put in salad dressings, cooked with it, anything really. You don't need any special recipe. Just drag it out and see if you like it.

Elizabeth
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, glad to see someone else uses it for beauty not eating. Avocado oil, apricot kernel oil and grape seed oil are all exremely good for the skin. They actually penetrate further than other types of oils and cleanse and nourish in the same action. I also use it on my (extremely long) hair. Gently warmed and masaged trough the hair it gives it moisture and shine. Leave it for as long as you can, then gently wash out. Shampoo with mild shampoo and condition as normal and your hair will be so soft and shiny and your scalp will thank you also. I can hear some of you gasping in horror and saying it is too expensive to use like that..... well, yes it is expensive - but have you seen the price of good quality shampoo, conditioner and hair treatments?Shocked Then triple the price to cover the cost of my hair length.... a few tablespoons of the above oils give a better result at a fraction of the price, and I can enjoy them in my food too!Wink

But if your not into smearing it onto your face..... cook spiral pasta till almost al dente. Drain well and then put into a hot frypan with a small amount of either avocado or macadamia nut oil. Give it a quick mix to coat and then let it cok for a few seconds till the pasta starts to colour. Turn onto a serving plate on a bed of rocket leaves and sprinkle with fresh shaved parmesan, a fresh drizzle of oil will revive the flavour and some roughly chopped pistachios or macadamias add extra crunch. Delicious with grilled or (dry) pan fried chicken.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to try polishing my head with it. Can you make your own avocado oil from a fresh avocado?

I used to have an aloe plant which I'd clip off stems and squeeze the oil out to use as hand conditioner. That was good stuff.
Dawna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been eyeing a bottle of avocado oil, myself! Salad dressings are the first thing that springs to mind, of course, but I find myself wondering how it would be as a finishing oil? Sort of like that final drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil on certain Italian dishes, but for Mexican food? Perhaps a soup? I could see it for a mole, or posole, or a caldo Tlalpeno ('cause there's nothing like overkill!)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: