Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

highlights of travels..that oh-so-tricky question:-)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: highlights of travels..that oh-so-tricky question:-) Reply with quote

hi there gang.....returned late last night from a week on the other side of Australia...I live on the east...so that flight across the mighty continent...travelled with my husband ..and my 92 year old papa...

between reading and sipping a little wine..I got to thinking about highlights...and if I had to select but 3...

1.walking this beach (City Beach) dawn or dusk...quite often Sieg and I were the only ones...oh my! swimming in the Indian Ocean..as clear as all getout...shells at my feet..

2. Joyously stumbling on a to-be-opened-that-night exhibition of Yohji Yamaoto's designs at the Western Australia Art Gallery..in private collections in Australia...the galleries were cordoned off, so at the time I could only see from a distance..the following day I managed a half and hour!!..to get up close (it was our takeoff day...) I could so easily still be there..one or two in particular took my breath away...anyone interested in fashion...dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo make your way there Wink

3. Visit to the Perth Library...used books...biographies...I've come home with:

Virginia Woolf by Louise DeSalvo
Duende: a journey in search of flamenco by Jason Webster
You've Had Your Time by Anthony Burgess..

I bought some cards as well...the woman at the desk gave me the third book for free...she told me she was feeling in a good mood because she was leaving in a few minutes...

any travellers care to share some highlights?

sandcoated hugs

oh and as a ps...this reminded me of Carnac and its amazing stone alignments...an Oz version:

gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Madame, you are your usual exuberant self and the pictures are great. (Happy Halloween Birthday to Sieg!) I'll look up Yamaoto to see what he's about..
You should take a look at the thread titled "Pictures from the Middle East"--Bainst did a little traveling I'd say.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectacular!

I see a new career photoing picture post cards in your future!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah Rainey...I didn't know you were a gypsy...if there's a thing I simply adore to do ...it's snap away...images grab me..thrilling...love it..

so glad you enjoyed them...I might add a few more if that's ok Wink
David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah madame! Gorgeous photos! What intriqued me was my immeditate reaction to the shot of hay bails. I instantly thought--there is something wrong with the trees! Well of course it is only because even though I lived in Oz for a time I don't associate Oz with hay----and am used to almost on a daily basis seeing bails with a backdrop of maples, birch or fir-and not the lovely gums! Funny how the mind works and responds to an image--funny and fun.
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww, beautiful photos!

The hayballs there are so different to these you see in Germany, France, ... and at first sight I had to think of fish fingers (as shown in this hilarious cartoon by -- I think it was Gary Larson(?) -- with the accompanying text: brown fish fingers equally on all sides) Laughing
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOH Madame, that beach is calling me! I think I need to make a plan!

Actually, what I need to do is win the lottery so I can travel to all the places I am longing to see! Laughing

So it's getting summery there! Tomatoes soon?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Donna Darling...come on over and join me seagazing:

here's a photo of the yacht Jon Sanders sailed 'round the world..THREE times thank you very much!!! a 100foot wave was alongside the yacht as it was at that angle...there was a marker at the top of the ceiling to show how high the wave was...from the wondrous Maritime Museum in Fremantle

'n an interview with the amazing man himself:

http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/wa/content/2005/s1453214.htm

gorgeous suedey Kangaroo Paws in the bush...'n for those interested in said flower: http://www.anbg.gov.au/anigozanthos/index.html

soft-shell coral...the tips were dancing the dance of gentle waves

the oh-my-goodness beauty of these in Kings Park...see the one about to burst out!

a DNA tower to climb

our daughter's comment on this one.."Come on Rover!"

Darlings ..'tis been a joy sharing these with you...

as they say in the classics..."Do come on over!"....'tis a wondrous continent...and the doors are always open...

holiday-coated hugs
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame I didn't realise you had been to Perth recently. I recognise all those pictures. City, Cottesloe and Scarborough Beach were a big part of my teenage years. The boys surfed, the girls sunbathed. Did you visit the Indiana Tea rooms while you were in the area.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Madame I missed this whole set of pictures! (You don't post when I'm asleep do you?) Blue suede shoes--no, red suede 'roo shoes.
You were looking toward--Africa?--in the looking-out-to-sea picture? Wow.

And Barbara has come home and unearthed such treasure, and *knows* the area!
What would CZ do without NZ and OZ?
Welcome home Barbara!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale I think I sometimes post when the world is asleep Wink ...we all have our zones methinks..

Barb Darlin'...ah Perth...with Sieg and my papa...we were very much aware of dear Dad...he being 92...and a wee frail...tea rooms next time for sure...and further south next time...and Broome...dear Sieg wants to Broome...so Broome we will!

those gardens overlooking the river...exquisite!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broome!

I'm coming too - I had one of the best weeks of my life in Broome a few years ago. Camping at Cable Beach with Greg, our kids, his parents and his niece. Early morning swims, beach BBQs at sunset, dinosaur footprints, Staircase to the Moon, Paspaley Pearls.

Make sure you are there during a full moon, Madame, so you can see the dinosaur footprints at low, low tide, and watch the amazing Staircase to the Moon - the moon rising over mudflats at Roebuck Bay.

Tim Bowden's "Penelope Bungles to Broome" is a good book to read. He and his wife did a similar trip to the one we did, and he gives a lot of the history and geology of the area. And he also wrote one about another, earlier trip they did to the South West - "Penelope Goes West"

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many's the time I wish I could bottle the charm etc of this forum....and send it around the world...

Jude I'll get Sigi to read your post..that way we'll Broome sooner than later!

hugs all
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go too soon, Madame, it's actually not that great in summer 'cos of the stingers in the water, and the tropical climate, ie, The Wet.

But in winter it's truly magnificent. High 20's - low 30's every day. I can see why the Grey Nomads flock there in their caravans every winter to escape the grey, wet southern winter.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see it was 41 degrees in Broome today. I have a cousin who lives there. Other cousins visited and hated it...but they are real city people. A holiday for them is people watching from a good café.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: