Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Make Ahead Turkey Gravy Reply with quote

Make Ahead Gravy
Recipe By: Woman's Day
Makes: about 2 quarts

• 4 turkey wings, (about 3 pounds)
• 2 medium-sized onions , peeled and quartered
• 1 cup water
• 8 cup chicken broth
• 3/4 cup chopped carrots
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoon butter
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Have ready a large roasting pan.

2. Arrange wings in a single layer in pan; scatter onions over top. Roast 1 1/4 hours until wings are browned.

3. Put wings and onions in a 5- to 6-qt pot. Add water to roasting pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits on bottom. Add to pot. Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate remaining 2 cups), the carrot and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours.

4. Remove wings to cutting board. When cool, pull off skin and meat. Discard skin; save meat for another use.

5. Strain broth into a 3-qt saucepan, pressing vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard vegetables; skim fat off broth and discard (if time permits, refrigerate broth overnight to make fat-skimming easier).

6. Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups broth until blended and smooth.

7. Bring broth in pot to a gentle boil. Whisk in broth-flour mixture and boil 3 to 4 minutes to thicken gravy and remove floury taste. Stir in butter and pepper. Serve, or pour into containers and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 6 months.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, have you actually made this gravy yourself? It looks like a good recipe and would certainly solve the problem of gravy making with a brined bird (which friends tell me is difficult, given the saltiness). And, of course, avoiding all that last-minute work sounds like heaven.

Thanks for sharing this!
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'm about to do it for the first time. But I'll be happy to report on it after I have made it. I wonder about it myself but the lack of last minute rush could make it worthwhile.

I've always made gravy (and I do make good gravy if I say so myself) from my brined birds. The drippings aren't any saltier than the flesh itself. The trick, I am told, is in letting the bird brine long enough. Prematurely taking it out (I don't understand it, I just accept it) results in saltiness. I brine mine for 12-14 hours depending solely on what's convenient. Then I season the gravy once made and compensate at that point.

Another trick that my sister-in-law taught me 30 or more years ago was to use the water from boiling potatoes for the gravy liquid. I never can get enough carbs Shocked but, in truth, it adds another layer of complexity. And if I'm not making gravy I save it for soup base.

Meanwhile, I will definitely make gravy after dinner from the real pan drippings for the leftovers. At our house dinner is an important step in providing the real goods — the leftovers.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on this one today! Will use thighs (easier to find, plus lunch for the week).

Thanks, Rainey!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My results so far: a lovely, golden brown broth, good aroma, not a lot of fat on top. Roasted onions added a nice depth to both the flavor and color. Will use it tomorrow to preassemble dressing and toss it into the freezer. Extra broth will freeze for the gravy. Its real purty, Folks! Tastes just lovely, too.
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rainey. Am going to make this later in the week then freeze ready for Xmas.

We have the family coming to us for Xmas, so am trying to get as much done in advance as I can. In the meantime I have my Mum arriving this week as well as my best friend in Australia and her husband...... busy busy busy.

Maybe we need an Xmas menu topic so we can bounce ideas for the big meal around?? Will think on it and may start one if interest is there from others.

First step though is this gravy!!!

p.s. I agree Rainey that a meal so good is only the first step in a wonderful world of leftovers..... mmmmmm
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning Slashfood had this link to the San Franciso Chronical's collection of all things turkey and Thanksgiving. http://www.sfgate.com/thanksgiving/

Hope it helps someone with planning, inspiration and the basics. Don't know if there are too many things scarier than your first Thanksgiving dinner. Naturally, after you've got a couple under your belt you know that you just don't get such a favorable rating of the fuss to the punch often. But until you nail your organization and do-aheads, the intimidation factor is daunting. So I hope there's some reassuring info there for anyone who needs it.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I envy those of you with many mouths to feed, needing make-ahead and extra gravy! (I do love to fuss, I *like* to iron tablecloths!) And Debbie in Paris with guests from Australia--how fun to plan that kind of occasion! We are just two, but enjoy to the fullest my herculean hostessing ha ha.

Debbie mentioned a seperate thread for "Xmas menu topic"--
I hope at least everyone with something they consider special will post--
the "Recipe Box" is always open.

Rainey.. forgive black humor but way scarier than your first Thanksgiving dinner would be your last!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP - if you were on the East Coast, I'd invite you to join us. We're three, and it seems like such a shame! At least we manage to have imports from out of state for x-mas...so t-giving has become the disappoining little sister, just a warm up for the big one at our house.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but we don't know our last one is our last one, do we?

Isaak Dinesen wrote a line that's in Out of Africa that goes something like "I think the world was made round so we can't see to far ahead" meaning that we're able to keep slogging on through the hard stuff because we don't know that what's ahead may be even worse.

I love her honest fearlessness. She didn't have to sugar coat anything. She had to be an awesome person!
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All...I'm picking up this old thread once more since (American) Thanksgiving is barrelling down on us and my guest list grows longer each day. With two weeks to go, I'm already starting to prep some items.

Since our last discussions about make-ahead gravy, has anyone else tried it? Everyone agreed that it sounded like a great idea, but I think only Jen had actually made it, and she was pleased with the results. Anybody else?

Now all I have to do is find a place to seat this mob...may have to knock out a few walls... Rolling Eyes
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia I'm flat out amazed at the emotional distance I seem to have from these 2007 posts! Only 2 years--I must have more of a life than I thought! ( Rolling Eyes nope) Thank you for bringing these up again.

But more to the point, which is dinner, I would trust Rainey and Jen with any food anytime.

I've used a recipe from Cook's Illustrated called "All Purpose Gravy".
Completely satisfactory in every way, the same make-ahead idea.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP, I'm not sure what you mean by "emotional distance". It does seem to me, though, that there was a "core" group of posters a few years ago who are rarely heard from these days. Regardless, even though I don't post much these days, C&Z was the first place I thought of to get reliable responses about...well...about anything food related. I'll probably try this turkey gravy recipe (I mean, there's lots of time, right? I can always revert to habit and make gravy "the day of"...).

So, for old posters and newer ones...happy Thanksgiving, and may your gravy never be lumpy.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia I think I was just being a little dramatic about the fact that these posts seem so long ago. I am holy crap 60 now, and time races!

re gravy--
Do you/have you ever used that "Wondra" flour? If anybody's unfamiliar, here's some info:
http://www.ochef.com/21.htm
I like it and use it if I have it. I have also "browned" flour--which is just putting some all purpose flour into a dry pan, and scooting it around with a spatula until it turns color (light brown, of course!) I suppose it's like toasting nuts, brings out more flavor. I don't know if it affects how the flour behaves, I've only put it in gravy/sauce--don't know if you can bake with it.
Also, a recent discovery is porcini powder -- practically magic. Somebody (Rainey!!) sent me some and now I won't be without it.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...and time races"...you said it! I just think that More happens Faster as we get older. Can't get used to it Rolling Eyes

re: gravy...I've used Wondra for years. Great product, just dump it into the gravy to thicken, whisk, no lumps. It's a fine alternative to using a flour/water slurry, which sometimes misbehaves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: