Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

authentic mexican cookbook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: authentic mexican cookbook Reply with quote

which one would it be, if you were to have only one cookbook on authentic mexican cuisine? I want to give one to a very good friend for her birthday (a great cook, but not really familiar with mexican)

i should add that she is a vegetarian... a vegetarian cookbook would be great, but a cookbook for carnivores would do if it is real good, while my friend is quite creative in making adjustment from carnivore recipes to vegetarian. Cool

thanks Very Happy
nima

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shana,

Most of the English-language Mexican cookbooks I know were developed for the American market. Some are classics, but can be kind of fussy, so it really depends on what you are looking for.

A traditionalist might get Diana Kennedy's _The Essential Cuisines of Mexico_. It's a distillation of her other books, and is copiously well-researched. But the ingredients lists are very long, and the methods sometimes tedious. And I'm not sure how vegetarian friendly it would be.

There is _Mexico: The Beautiful Cookbook_, which is part of a series. This particular volume is great. The recipes are authentic, not too fussy, and the photos are beautiful. A nice coffee table book, but the recipes really work too.

The best general purpose book might be Rick Bayless' _Authentic Mexican_.

None of these books are vegetarian per se, though there are plenty of books that specialize in vegetarian Mexican food on the market. Sadly, I've never tried them, so I don't know what to recommend. That said, Rick Bayless wrote a vegetarian menu for Gourmet magazine not long back. I don't remember the issue, but it should be available on-line, on Epicurious.

Have fun cookbook shopping.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nima. I have Mexico: The Beautiful Cookbook and love everything I've made out of it. Some close friends of mine are from Mexico and say it is really authentic. They are also the ones who recommended Rick Bayless, he has great recipes and if a font of knowledge.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!!! Erin, you're back! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
shana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nima and erin,

thank you both for your suggestions... i am going to check those books... i am so bad in making a decision when it comes to shopping cookbooks........ but is a great fun Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: