Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Got any interesting cranberry recipes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Got any interesting cranberry recipes? Reply with quote

Costco had 3# bags of cranberries so I'm set for life. Laughing

I made my cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. I made cranberry quickbread. Then I made cranberry scones. I bet I've got 2# left. So what do I do with them?

Let er rip!
ripley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make a cranberry upside down cake for the holidays. I got the recipe from Wilson Farms and a quick search didn't pull it up.. it was ridiculously easy. I used a pie plate (because that's what we have, although a springform would make a more elegant cake), buttered it, put in about 2 layers of cranberries, put sugar on the cranberries, then poured over a super-simple cake batter (eggs, flour, butter, sugar, baking powder)

all the ones I've found online so far are more complicated. I mean, orange peel in with the cranberries, sure. Spices, fine. All the recipes say to melt the butter and stir in the cranberries until coated. I have never done this and it's always been tasty.

I will re-post with proportions once I get my hands on the recipe, but it's at my mother's house.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, your knack for breads will cause you to invent a savory cranberry bread to be used for stuffing chicken breasts, long after the turkey is gone.

And here http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/105743
are some fancy Christmasy bars ("Cranberry Turtle Bars").
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Those sound good.

I have a lovely recipe for a cranberry-walnut yeast bread that is a very pretty braid and makes a mean bread pudding. But that uses dried cranberries.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen's Long Beach, Washington Cranberry Sauce, from the home of Ocean Spray cranberry bogs:

One cool, foggy morning
Two new running shoes, pristine
Four miles of peninsula road
Four shots decaf espresso

Warm up legs with one mile of walking and cup of espresso. Recycle cup, pause to stretch and head north. Brace against chill of cranberry-laden trucks whooshing past. Pound pavement and smash loose, rolling cranberries fallen from said trucks underfoot. Staining on shoes is indicative of good progress. Run four miles, test for doneness with Out Of Breath or Falling Down test. Remove shoes and scrape off cranberry sauce.
Voila'!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an appetizer a few years back - sort of a very shallow tart with buttery (unsweetened) crust, filled with chopped cranberries, gorgonzolla, walnuts and caramelized onion. It was baked, probably for around 20 minutes. Very simple but it was delicious (and very rich!). Come to think of it though, I don't remember whether I used fresh or dried cranberries...

I did a search for the recipe online & found this, similar, more complicated but sounds good too.

Cranberry-Gorgonzola Tart on Savory Walnut Shortbread Crust

3/4 cup walnut halves
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup cherry or strawberry preserves
1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons Kirsch or other cherry brandy or liqueur
6 ounces Gorgonzola dolce or other blue cheese, softened

Garnish: fresh whole sage leaves and walnut halves

Heat oven to 300°. Place walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until ground, making sure not to overprocess into a paste. Add flour, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, and sage and pulse to incorporate. Add butter and pulse to form a coarse meal, about 30 seconds. Press dough into an ungreased 10-inch springform pan (or an 11x8-inch tart pan with removable bottom). Bake until light golden brown, about 55 minutes. Cool completely, then release from pan.

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook preserves until melted. Add cranberries, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and cherry brandy. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook until cranberries have lost their shape, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely, about 1 hour.

Spread Gorgonzola over tart crust in a thin, even layer. Top with a thin layer of the cooked cranberry mixture. Garnish with sage and walnut pieces. Divide into 10 even slices.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! The first one sounds like it would be a brilliant appetizer pre-T-day dinner. I'm betting it was dried cranberries but I've got enough to bake some fresh ones for 20 minutes and see if that does the trick.
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL these recipes look great. And here are two more that were in the SF Chronicle this morning. They both look very interesting and tasty!

Cranberry-Mushroom Saute

2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 large garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
1 to 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry but fruity red wine, like a Pinot Noir or Merlot
1 1/2 cups cranberries, picked through and rinsed
1/2 to 3/4 cup sweetened cranberry juice
1 cup low- or no-salt chicken broth
1 sprig thyme
-- Pinch brown sugar (light or dark) if needed for balance

Instructions: In a medium-size skillet or wok, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to become translucent, then add the garlic. When garlic is aromatic, add the mushrooms, butter and season to taste. Cook a minute before adding the wine; continue to cook until wine is reduced by at least half. Add the cranberries, cranberry juice, broth and thyme sprig.
Simmer until juice and broth are reduced and mixture is slightly saucy. Remove thyme sprig; taste and adjust seasoning. Add brown sugar, if needed, to balance the tartness of the cranberries.
Mixture can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated.
Per 1/3 cup: 155 calories, 3 g protein, 14 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat (3 g saturated), 10 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.

Wild Rice Pilaf with Pecans & Cranberries

Makes 3 cups

-- Kosher salt as needed
1/2 cup wild rice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more as needed
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup jasmine rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 small sprig thyme
2 tablespoons currants
2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries or unsweetened cranberries
1 1/4 cup very hot water
-- Black pepper to taste
1/3 to 1/2 cup toasted pecan, chopped
-- Chopped parsley (optional garnish)

Instructions: In a large pot of well-salted boiling water, cook the wild rice until it is still al dente but grains are not split, about 20-30 minutes depending on the brand of rice. Drain and set aside.
In a small- to medium-size pot with tight-fitting lid over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onions and saute until translucent then add the garlic. Continue to cook until garlic starts to turn golden. Add the jasmine rice, plus more oil if needed to prevent burning, and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice becomes translucent. Add the white wine; cook until absorbed.
Add the wild rice to the pan along with the thyme sprig, dried fruit, salt to taste and hot water. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes. Remove thyme sprig; stir, taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with pecans and optional parsley.
Per 1/2 cup: 215 calories, 4 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

As I type I have the Pistachio Bread from Beard on Bread made with chopped cranberries as well as the nuts rising in the kitchen.

Not sure how it will turn out. I tried to compensate for the tartness of the berries and we'll see if I did it enough.

Update:

Not too bad. The cranberries are such a beautiful, vibrant red color (not too apparent in that pic). Wish the pistachios had been as saturated a green.

I'll have to tinker with the flavor but it wasn't bad.

Last edited by Rainey on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I'm going to be brewing cooking up some cranberry and orange vodka; found the recipe in UK Glamour magazine, looks easy and delicious...
Zest & juice of large orange
200g caster sugar
200g dried cranberries
350ml vodka
Heat gently for 20ish mins, infuse for a week

I'm not sure I'm patient enough to leave it for a week though!
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Cow, that's gorgeous! Laughing
eileen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try cranberry salsa (boil up a package of fresh cranberries with 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 c fruit juice (combo orange/lime nice, but anything will do).
when cranberries pop, turn off heat and put a cup or less in the blender with some fresh coriander/cilantro and a handful of those jarred slided jalapenos. depending on your taste, add as many as you want, but start small. think of your audience/victims, heh heh. put everything in a container and season with salt/pepper.
mmmm, great as a side condiment. also good for appetizers... put on bread with cream cheese. satisfies sweet/sour/spicy in one go.
seasonal. but not for traditionalists.
Secret_Ingredient

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cranberry Sauce

Servings: 20
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Category: Condiments
Cuisine: American

Ingredients
* 12 ounces cranberries
* 8 ozs. sugar
* 8 fl. ounces tangerine juice
* 1 tbs. tangerine zest (see note below)

Instructions

Measure the sugar, reserve. Zest the tangerines. Reserve the zest, covered. Juice the tangerines, measure the liquid and add water to make 8 fl. ozs. of liquid. Add the cup of sugar to the juice in a sauce pan. Stir to dissolved. Put the pan over heat, bring to a low simmer, whence add the cranberries, cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes to burst the berries. Allow to cool for 10 minutes off the heat, add the reserved zest. Stir. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate.

Notes: If you can get more than 1 tablespoon of zest, that is better, but 1 tablespoon is the minimum.

I thought of using tangerine juice & zest in Albuquerque New Mexico in 1994.
DebbieN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is probably weird, but I use my stash of frozen post-Thanksgiving sale cranberries for hot cranberry juice whenever I have one of those real winter showstopper colds (unfortunately they have them in LA too, don't ask, don't ask). Basically just a quart of water, enough cranberries to cover the surface (a cup or more), and a bit of sugar--not nearly as much as for cranberry sauce, maybe 1/4 cup and then more to taste, or else leave it out altogether and add sugar to taste by the mugful afterwards. If you like cloves, add a couple, and boil or nuke a few minutes to cook the berries. It's more fresh/green/floral tasting than the stuff you buy at the store, though not as concentrated and red, and it seems to soothe my throat better as well--not sure why.

More normal dessert idea-- I've seen/tasted at Europane here in Pasadena, but never tried at home, cranberry/pistachio biscotti that were really more like well-browned shortbread, very rich, with well-toasted pistachios, and the cranberry tartness cut in perfectly. Man were they good. I am not allowed back in the bakery or else.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ming Tsai has this great one for a relish. http://www.ming.com/simplyming/showrecipesSeason3/CranberryWasabiHorseradishRelish.htm

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: