Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Omigod! Cuitlacoche :shock:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Omigod! Cuitlacoche :shock: Reply with quote

I have heard of this stuff but never had an opportunity to see it before.

Before you open the link be warned: http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000344.php
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandalous!! Absolutely scandalous! Thanks for the interesting, informative, hilarious and revolting article. And I thought it was my business to gross out the forums!
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEEWWWW! I don't think you should click that link while eating lunch Shocked Having at least 6 recipes for this stuff, thanks to Diana Kennedy, I've been really curious. I'd never seen it either. Rainey, I think you just took care of my curiosity. I generally like edible fungus, but can't manage to get past the appearance of huitlacoche. I was also laughing myself silly at this guy's writing about it.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuk! I can't believe anyone would actually eat that stuff.

There should be a warning on every can ...

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!

But then if they did that, why would they sell it?

Thanks for a good laugh, Rainey
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like something you would find in a spitoon.

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am not usually grossed out..... but..... that was the most revolting (yet strangely amusing) website I have ever looked at. Rainey, we need to talk about death and curious cats I think... what on this earth made you look up this website?!?!?!?!?

I have forwarded the link to my brother who is a chef and a few friends, all of whom have the weirdest sense of humour. You may just have started something here....

Thank you, I think. Brighidsdaughter, you are so right - DO NOT EAT WHILE VIEWING!

David, I'm sorry but you have just been toppled from your post. I don't think anyone can outgross this one.... but maybe it is a challenge for you?

Off to clean my teeth and gargle (with bleach). Don't think I am hungry for lunch now...
simona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really, but really, looks disgusting. But then, I have a philosophy regarding food, any food , food that somebody somewhere eats. It's a philosophy I don't always practice , i'll share it with you. I believe that whatever a human person eats, ( canibals excluded) is probably edible. It's just an aquired taste, habit, tradition. That doesn't mean i practice my philosophy. I don't believe i'll eat snakes, bugs, not even dogs and cats. But think of it: hindus treat cows like we treat our pets, and I personally now many Jewish people who get sick when seing others eating pork or shrimps. I've seen in Taiwan people eating live snakes, and some of my best friends think I'm barbaric because I like sashimi and steak tartare. And my grandchildren say Ichhh to anything that doesn't look like a pizza , or a Mc.Donald, or Shnitzels and Potato chips. I do remember my first octopus salad ( I love it now) on a greek island. I think I'll skip the obese corn, but that doesn't infirm my philosophy. Somebody, somewhere will learn to like it, someone already does. Bon appetit!!

No more war , no more infected corn cans!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey: I have had MORE darn fun, visiting that entire site....THANKS!!! I've also sent the link to 10 friends around the globe who can also marvel at what "Man can Can!"
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie- I found a reference to that particular story on one of my favorite blogsites, BoingBoing. It generally deals in technology but they gather whatever is interesting or amusing.

I have learned how to make panties from T-shirts and a wallet from 20 one-dollar bills on BoingBoing. I also once took a hilarious "test" on distinguishing sex toys from doggie toys there (did fine, thanks, and am officially permitted to play with the author's dog).

And I agree with you that it's right up there with David's best analogies but I also loved Erin's comment just above yours. Wink

simona- I'm with you, babe. I may not actually want to eat everything that crosses my path but I don't see much point in being judgemental or reflexively dismissive of it. Over the years I've had sea slug in a Chinese restaurant (I could live without having that again), horse in France (tastes fine to me) and squirrel stew made by my grandfather (it was delicious). And, of course, (with appropriate hommage to David) the bovine snot that some of us prefer to refer to as "oysters" (food of the gods!).

Nevetheless, I think I prefer to learn about cuitlacoche from a website, thank-you-very-much. Wink
MisChef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: I was just discussing "revolting food" Reply with quote

...and the contradictions regarding them. Food, as a concept, *IS* weird, and the way people react to different foods is very interesting!

the link is here:
http://chefjoanna.blogspot.com/2005/03/food-religion-and-contradictions.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Allisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Rainey!! That S*** is some kinda funkin' nasty!

But, one hell of a funny read!

Thanks for the site...I'm going to pass this one on to some of my sick-er minded friends. Bottle of Bactine... doh!
simona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might hate the obese corn , but I surely like the way this topic develops.
Gets more "bizarre", less "nice". That's far away from " how does martha Steward clean her dirty plastic containers": less practical but just more fun. I'm counting on you , Rainey , to find more of these great links and topics!

No more war, more funny topics!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Talk about pressure... Shocked Laughing
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's this: http://www.thwartdesign.com/progresspg/withoutpg/dwor_ball.html. Also from BoingBoing tho they rarely have food-related items.
Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I know I have something to say here, I'm just not sure what that might be. First off, I read all the reactions to it before checking it out so I have to say I wasn't as horrified as I thought I would be. Although I am glad I already finished my lunch before doing so. Like a few others have said, other cultures, other food. But yeah, Yuck!! A friend of a friend just opened a Mexican restaurant. Must find out if she's A) ever heard of this stuff, and B) if she plans on putting it on the menu!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: