Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Apple and Pumpkin pie spices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Apple and Pumpkin pie spices Reply with quote

This is from Nicole Weston's terrific blog — once Bakings Sheet — now called Baking Bites (bakingbites.com):

Pumpkin Pie Spice
• 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
• 2 tbsp ground ginger
• 2 tsp ground cloves
• 1 tsp ground nutmeg*
• 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)

Apple Pie Spice
• 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
• 1 tbsp ground allspice
• 2 tsp ground nutmeg*
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)

Combine all ingredients for desired mix and blend well. Store in a small, airtight container. Feel free to experiment with amounts to get a blend that works for you.

*If using freshy ground nutmeg, you might want to cut back a little bit because the flavor can be quite strong. Since you’re going to be storing the mix anyway, it is not crucial to use freshly ground here. I personally find it to be a bit overwhelming if there is a ton of nutmeg in something.

I couldn't find the permalink to link directly to them. If you want to see the rest of her entry it's Oct. 18, 2007.

I love mixing up spice blends because they smell so heavenly. I overlooked her advice to use ground nutmeg 'cause I don't have it and because I'd never forego an opportunity to grind nutmeg (I even take the grater to Steve to admire every damned time — it's just too blissful to miss!).

Speaking of grating nutmeg, recently when I got down to a nub too dangerous to try to grate anymore without including a bit of fingertip Shocked I decided to throw the last bit in the ground coffee — like a vanilla pod in sugar. It will be strained out with the grounds.

I'm also using a good healthy shake of the Pumpkin Pie Spice in with the coffee grounds in the morning. Hence, the need to mix up more. Wink Very seasonal and a nice flavor boost.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spice mixtures are great as gifts, too. I like to give homemade curry powder and this year was thinking of making a big batch of masala chai to give out. I really like the pie spice idea!

Rainey - how do you grate your nutmeg? I use a manual grinder for my other spices, but nutmeg's always trouble. I try to mash it up and then grind it, but it's not the best solution.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the post on the cutest little microplane I got a short while ago: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2203&highlight=grater I still love it.

Grating nutmeg shouldn't be difficult tho. It's really quite soft as you must have noticed if you're breaking them up. Don't do that to grate them though. You want a whole nut you can hang onto.

Altho Microplane makes excellent graters (and the one above is very affordable) any grater will do. I used to use a small handled grater meant to do small pieces of hard cheese at the table. Nothing special. Worked great too. And once a friend brought be back a gift of nutmeg from Mexico. Came with a small grate with a rough surface made of metal punched through with nails.

There is also the rather expensive type that's like a squat pepper mill. I had one once. Don't know where it went and can't ever remember actually using it. Or maybe I just wished for it and wouldn't spend the bucks.

Just hang onto your nutmeg and pass it slowly over whatever fine grating surface you've got. Don't worry. You won't get your knuckles because you don't have to scrape hard or fast. Then be sure to pass the grater around for everyone to smell the fresh oils. Bliss!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: