Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Confitures/Jams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrina: Usually, when I look up a recipe in my cookbooks, there's an unlimited variation on a theme.

Not so with fig jam.

I looked in 5 jam/jelly books, then checked online, and they were identical.

I made this years ago for my friend, Lynn, and I'd substitute the lemon peel with orange peel occasionally. But, I stuck with the lemon juice because it's more acid and aids in the keeping quality. Hope you enjoy this.

FIG JAM

2 quarts chopped fresh figs (about 5 pounds)
3/4 cup water
6 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

To prepare chopped figs, pour boiling water over figs, let stand 10 minutes. Drain, stem and chop figs. Measure and add 3/4 cup water and sugar to figs. Slowly bring to boiling, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Cook rapidly until thick. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add lemon juice and cook 1 minute longer. Pour, boiling hot, into hot Ball jars. Adjust caps. Process 10 to 15 minutes. Yield about 5 pints.
Katrina

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy Queen: Thank you so much for the recipe! Once I get my hands on some good-looking fresh figs, I will give it a shot. It's such a yummy fruit, I can't wait to try my hand at it.
Feste

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Other uses for jam? Reply with quote

So now that I have finished school, I have been making jam like crazy. I love everything about making jam - the smells, the processing, all my jam-making tools - except for one thing: I just don't eat very much of it! I like a good piece of toast and jam occasionally, but I'm just not much of a breakfast person beyond my necessary latte.

So my pantry has been filling up, and I keep adding more jars to the jars still there from last summer. I give jars away, but I still have a glut. So far I have one jam bar recipe, but I think my co-workers are getting bored of them (and quite frankly, so am I).

Does anyone have good recipes to use good jam in? My pantry can't take much more! (And I'm getting ready to make two more strawberry batches!)

Thank you!
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feste, you sound just like me.... I love making jams, chutneys, confitures, jellies etc - but don't really eat them as I prefer a savoury treat to a sweet one. My solution to the problem is to donate the products of my labours to fetes and charities.

You get the satisfaction of making the jam. Keep one or two for your cupboard, and donate the rest to someone who can use them to raise money for a worthy cause. What could be better!?!

I am getting into jam and chutney making ready for the big sale in November. Getting my hands on the jars is a problem as I don't buy much that comes packaged..... hmmmm..... I need to find a sugar addict who goes through a lot of jam.... and who lives in Paris.... any takers?

Thank you for the tomato jelly recipe DQ. I will make some of that and donate it on behalf of your Grandmother.

The marmalade recipe (think it was Simona posted it) is almost identical to the one that I use. The seeds, pith and membranes are the richest source of pectin and soaking it overnight draws the pectin out and makes the most of its setting powers. You really do need the sugar to make this palatable. It is quite sour without. Quite often I put whisky in it and giving it a quick stir before bottling. You don't need to add much and it makes a very delicious change.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching Paul James' Homegrown Cooking this morning and he's (how timely for me!) doing plum jam. Since I'm picking about a pound of plums a day right now, I scribbled it out as I sat here. So here you go:

Plum Jam looks like they filled 2 quart-size jars

• 2 1/2 pounds fresh ripe plums
• 3 1/2 c sugar

Make sure plums are very ripe. If necessary, place them in a brown paper bag for a day or two to let natural sugar and flavor fully develop. Notice there's no pectin since they said plums are high in natural pectin.

Roughly chop plums with their skins on (probably where that pectin resides). Mix them with the sugar in a non-reactive deep pot and set them aside to macerate for 1 hour.

Place the now half-liqufied mixture over heat (they weren't specific but medium to medium-high should do). Bring to boil and boil for about 15 minutes or until temperature reaches 220 degrees.

Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Run a knife around edge to release any trapped air bubbles and wipe rims clean. Top with lids and screw on retainer rings finger tight.

They did not do a water bath and said the jars would seal as they cooled. If you choose that method, be sure to listen for the "ping" and check that the center ring on the lid has retracted. I'd, personally, store unbathed jars in the fridge or give the filled jars a 10 minute water bath.

Speaking of plum jam, one of my favorite burgers is topped with Dijon mustard and plum jam. I know this sounds bizarre and that's the reason I had to order it when I saw it on a menu 15 years ago. In fact, it's a great zingy flavor with its sweet, tart and bloody beautifully balanced. I like mine quite rare with a crunchy sear.

On the show, they topped grilled chicken with a glaze of the jam.

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: