Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Adieu John Howard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Adieu John Howard Reply with quote

After watching the You Tube send ups of John Howard that our Aussie friends recommended, I am curious as to the reaction of his defeat...

On another blog, I saw him referred to as "George Bush's Mini-me". Too funny!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/world/asia/25australia.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I've been waiting for this subject to come up, I'd love to hear some thoughts from the (now sleeping) Australians too..

Mr. Rudd sounds like a good man, progressive and *globally* aware. I'm impressed that he speaks fluent Chinese.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm not a Rudd fan. Unfortunately John Howard became to think he was more important than his party. I do hope no one voted for Mr Rudd just because he could speak Chinese. It will be an interesting time ahead. Especially as we move home to Australia to live on 20th December. Yay - that's the best Christmas present I could wish for.
jenyfari

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not into any political party but I knew that if Howard got back in, that I would be leaving the country.

I met Kevin Rudd some years ago as he was our local member. Never thought he would be Prime Minister one day. Who knows whether he will do a good job or not, but it was definitely time for a change.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had resigned myself to a change of government, and now console myself with the almost-certain knowledge that if Rudd wants more than one term in government, he won't make a lot of changes in the next 3 years.

We had the dilemma of having an extremely lazy sitting member, and a totally clueless opponent. Who to vote for? The idler or the bimbo? I voted for neither in the end (I voted for the independent candidate instead) and the lazy incumbent won. Better than the alternative who couldn't understand a question if it had more than 2 phrases in it. Honestly.

We spent polling day handing out 'How to Vote' cards for Nick Xenophon, who won a seat as an independent in the Senate. YAY!! He was a state independent politician who was elected for his 'No Pokies' campaign (no slot machines for you Americans) and is a very popular, hard-working man.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy-- I know this isn't the place to figure it all out, but would you say the drought is the biggest issue in Australia now?
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that George Bush is behind the drought. Very Happy
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Mr. Rudd not a popular guy? It seems from what I've read that he definitely falls on my end of the political spectrum and he does seem to be more of a thinker than John Howard (again from what I can read here aux Etats Unis). I'm getting a sense of not-so-happy from our Aussie friends. Was there a better candidate running? Or do you fear that you've just swapped out one politician for another? (That's certainly my fear as I eyeball the candidates at this point!)

Actually, it probably isn't George Bush behind the drought, it's most likely Dick Cheney! Twisted Evil
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Judy will jump in here and give her opinion because it is much more informed than mine. From NZ though I see it as the Industrial Relations Bill that was Howards downfall.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was only part of it, Barbara. Many, many voters would not be affected one way or the other by Workplace Relations

It was really just that it was time for a change of government. The Coalition had been on power for 11 1/2 years, apart from the drought the country is ticking along nicely, and many people just wanted a change. There was only a 3% swing, so it wasn't a massive defeat regardless of how the media presents it.

My prediction: the Labor Party will govern for at least the next 6 years (2 terns) unless Rudd either messes up mightily ( then it will only be 3 years) or does surprisingly well, in which case there might be another term in it for him.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the drought was a huge issue in the election, the broader issue of climate change was - which is obviously related in people's minds. In my humble opinion, the very unpopular Industrial Relations legislation sunk the government in the end I think and for that reason I am pleased that Labor won.

Although I am generally a Greens voter (I know, they'll never get in but I can't bring myself to vote Labor), I don't actually mind Kevin Rudd. I am impressed with his stand on the Kyoto Agreement (he says he'll sign it) and Indigenous issues (he promised to apologise to the stolen generation). I just wonder whether he will be able to stand up to his caucus. We live in interesting times.

Judy, I assume you were in Boothby. Apparently we have Kevin Foley to thank for Nicole Cornes, he apparently persuaded her to run- what a twit. I felt a bit sorry for her, but really Rolling Eyes My vote certainly didn't count, I am in Alexander Downer territory (blue ribbon liberal).
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busy days!

ummmmmmmmmm John......let's leave it at that shall we!

power is a seductive thing...

a former minister for communications, Helen Coonan was interviewed a couple of nights back...her language was of royalty..I penned to the Herald..and it was published today...thought I'd share:

Helen Coonan has said: "But none of us wanted to commit regicide."

Why were they all so frightened of this man?

this, another letter from today's paper:

Adrian Gattenhof (Letters, November 27) describes Peter Costello as the mouse that never roared. I think he was more like the Cowardly Lion.

If he had just found some courage he would have been formidable. Unfortunately for him, he was stuck with a bunch of Munchkins who blindly followed a self-proclaimed Wizard of Oz.

We are in the electorate of Lindsay...the bogus leaflet electorate! in fact Jackie Kelly lives in a street parallel to ours...for Oz readers: the morning of the can-she-really-be-saying this interview on AM my husband came home from his morning swim...I'd just heard the 10 minutes on the radio..couldn't believe what I was hearing...this, two days before election day....as Sieg came into the kitchen I asked him if he knew the news story...he said "You should see what's outside her home"....media like you wouldn't believe...the big 7 and 9 television trucks...guys in suits..gum chewing print media people...it was like a pack of wolves...and at the same time all those involved in the incident gave the wolves what they need...

sometimes I wonder what's around the corner...the what's perhaps a little better than democracy! we were offered billions of dollars in promises...sickening...as my sister said at one stage.."Who made him Santa?"...she was speaking of Howard...'though she could also have been speaking of Rudd...had Howard been reelected she was planning a move to NZ...a letter writer to the Herald was returning home..has been living in Italy because she couldn't stand living here ....

methinks one problem was the Senate...when you control the lot it ain't a good thing!

interesting that Costello and Downer didn't attend the last supper at the Lodge...and Costello's father in law has come out with all guns blazing...speaking of egomania (describing Howard)

you only want to go into that game if your hide is thicker than an elephant's...

all in all...I wish all those elected the very best...and I'd love to see John Clarke appointed as Kevin's jester Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Madame, now the whole of Australian politics is clear light to me Wink !
(and I should have known you'd be a letter-to-the-editor writer.)
Like Donna, I only know what I read in the paper!--but Rudd's left-leaning is how I mostly lean.
This way oversimplified understanding I got from the BBC about some things Australian--
Australia's economy has gotten better & better for 10+ years under Howard. But some say the mining boom is behind the prosperity, a large part of the minerals being sold to China. (Rudd's fluency in Chinese/China studies will fit right in here.)
Regardless of the good economy, voters chose the guy who wants to save the planet instead?
Our last midterm elections (USA) -- when many on Bush's side were replaced with Democrats--has resulted in pretty much nuthin' changing-- they are politicians after all.
It's quite easy to get disgusted and not care but I love watching our current crop of Presidential hopefuls jockey for position. (They should study Ruddy)
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale 'n anyone interested in politics...here are two brief articles...

Arthus Sinodinos was Howard's chief of staff...obviously he knew, a year ago, that particular writing was on the wall..

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pms-top-gun-quits-for-bank/2006/12/08/1165081126240.html

and this one ..a piece by Sinodinos written 3 days back

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/storytelling-the-secret-to-happy-ending/2007/11/25/1195975870812.html

this from a letter writer to the Herald:

Once again, Ross Gittins has cut to the heart of the matter: first, by succinctly enumerating the moral shortcomings of the Howard Government but, more importantly, by pointing out the danger that this decline in public morality has set a precedent which will be hard for future governments to resist ("A vote for honesty and decency"). Odious legislation can usually be undone. A low standard of accountability and honesty, once set, could prove harder to reverse. For the future health of our nation, let's hope Kevin Rudd is up to the task.

methinks perhaps we shouldn't be calling this circus democracy...there's gotta be another word...

any political junkies would adore being in the nation's capital today...two men standing for Opposition Leader...the life of one about to change radically ....

'n I'm still curious as to why they were frightened of Howard..his cabinet...

this from the Herald:

"So Mr Howard was keen to have it known that Senator Minchin (former Leader of the Gov in the Senate) never told him face-to-face last year that he should leave. The king of "I knew nothing!" rises unaltered from his own ashes."

still wishing all well..

hugs
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether the result would have been different if the last election hadn't delivered a coalition majority in the senate. I have a feeling that the election would have been a lot closer (although Rudd would probably still have won) if it hadn't been for the IR bill and the other unpopular policies that the government steamrolled through the senate. Tall poppy syndrome maybe?

Anyone else have an opinion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: