Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

alone in paris... ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: alone in paris... ideas? Reply with quote

hey all, its been a long time since i've posted but that's because i've been studying abroad in scotland. i'll tell you soon about all the things i've been cooking and eating here (ahhhh british food...) but the reason i'm writing is that i'm headed to paris on my own on the 21st of april till the 25th. i'll be staying in monmartre. i was wondering a few things. first of all, what you would reccomend i do, in general and food wise, two, if any of you will be there at that time and would be interested in a sight-seeing, walking, or dinner companion and three if you know of any cool food-related activities to do while i am there. i am really excited but also afraid because being alone is not my strong suit, and i don't speak any french (although i'm fluent in spanish!). any ideas, thoughts, etc would be greatly apreciated!
love, anna
anna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you know, also, that my aol screen name is nanzzee if any of you want tot alk about this online! thanks so much i'd really appreciate any ideas that you have cuz i'm soooooo nervous!
love, anna
creampuff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna,
I'll be soloing also, but unfortunately our trips won't coincide.
Please check the topics on food neighborhoods and paris markets for some ideas of "foodie" things to do
Other ideas I came up with include taking advantage of the Paris Walks program. They cost 10 euros each and you don't need a reservation but you'll be with a group and English speaking guide. You might meet up with a possible lunch companion. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pariswalking/
I am also taking an English language cooking class, many of these have market tours and/or gourmet walking tours as options. I believe there is a topic on that, too. For other foodie ideas, check out the C&Z archives and Patrica Wells site. If you are looking for a quick immersion, the Rue Cler neighboorhood in the 7e is a great place to start. Don't overlook the food halls on the Bon Marche and Galleries de Lafayette department stores for one-stop bliss. There are lots more specific stores as well, but be sure to hit one of the open markets.

the official Paris tourist site which is now called parisinfo.com has lots of ino and links in English and is a good general place to start to get info

Also, Pariscope (published every Weds) supposedly has an English language insert with entertainment listings.

I have lots of websites and other recommendations, let me know what your interests/concerns are and I'll be glad to send them to you.

After all my resesarch and reassurances from C&Z members, I think you can have a thrilling, safe visit solo to Paris. I have no qualms about it for myself.

Write us and tell us what you did when you get back!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: alone in Paris Reply with quote

Hello Anna,
Being alone in Paris has it's advantages and , yes, also its disadvantages.
One of the advantages is that you can "flaner"- walk around , at you own pace, enter any store you fancy and linger on a bench as long as you want. Paris is for walking. I don't know your age or your span of interest, but I can only tell you what i did when I was young and sometimes alone in Paris: I'll decide each day on a specific quarter e.g. the latin quarter , St. germain de pres, Le Marais, the Halles , Champs elisees and Faubourg St Honore ( the open and free museum of french fashion), the Grands Boulevards and Rue de la Paix , Montmartre, even the new Defence complex. I would try to see the special exibitions ( try Pariscope or Time out ), especially those in small museums, I would sit down at a famous cafes and look at the people passing by ( e.g. Flore, Deux Magots in St Germain, Cafe de la paix near the opera, La Coupole , Dome or Select in the Montparnasse area) , and have at least one meal in a Brasserie- I usually buy a newspaper, I choose a nice place with a view towars the restaurant and Enjoy peacefully a full meal . Being alone, it's more confortable for lunch, or late lunch, it's not too crowded. The Brasseries are open all day
( Bofinger near the Marais is special, if somehow expensive ). For lunch you can also take a break in one of the gardens - Tuilleries, or Luxembourg, or the Seine banks. Be sure to buy before a fresh baguette, a camember and/or some slices of Jambon, something to drink and indulge yourself in dreaming of being a Parisian. It works, even is it's a cliche.
Now, you just do what's good for you. Have a nice stay
P.S. I found scottish food quite good compared with the english one

No more war, more paris holidays!
creampuff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to maybe meet with a local while you are solo in Paris? Try this organization. I found the info on the city of Paris website, english section, www.paris.fr/en

"You are in Paris for the first time or you are back for the fourth, you have time and you want a real exchange ?
Association of travellers, our adherents permit to you, for free and by the way of different activities to meet some Parisians and like that to learn a little bit about themselves and their culture.

To apply : call us !
ABM, phone number : 01 45 45 22 00 "

Link to ABM's website : ยป www.abm.fr
spygelf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alone in Paris- I'm not sure that the English language Time out section still exists at the back of the Pariscope, but it is still a helpful resource. If you are interested in film, I would recommend trying to see something playing at the Action Christine on the left bank, cute little cinema that does good director retrospectives (remember its old style so you need to tip the usher). Also before or after the movie I would head to the little Japanese area in the 1st, around Rue Therese and Rue Ste Anne, its a small jumble of streets with a bunch of great ramen noodle stores, try some Gyoza too, delicious and cheap. If you like the Japanese thing, go to Toraya (they have an english site on the web), the set menu for lunch is always delicious, it is superstylish and it would be fine to go there on your own. They are at Rue Saint-Florentin, near Rue Ste Honore- defnitely an area worth a look around. You'll find a multitude of amazing places to eat, but don't miss out on going to LaDuree, for the absolute best macarons in the world- they also have beautiful boxes so it is a nice place to buy presents for others if you need to. If you go to the Musee D'Orsay, I would recommend starting at the top and working your way down, of course it depends on what you like, but that's my advice. Additionally, with the Louvre, unless you are super keen on the old French and Dutch paintings, start off by going downstairs and checking out the Ottoman (? I think) tiles and the really early sculptures. Eat in the Parks- go to the Palais Royale, the Luxembourg gardens etc. Time Out guide to paris is good. Another excellent place to go is L'Atelier of Joel Robichon- everyone sits at the bar and the food is excellent- and lots of single, non-french speaking diners- it is a bit chi chi though. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: