Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

ice storm in the US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: ice storm in the US Reply with quote

have seen photos of the storm...

take care..

this might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUhZxkr194

hugs from Australia...Summertime!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah summer! Called my mom in Florida today and my brother says it's "greenish" in response to my "greyish" weather report. Up here in the Hudson Valley we got some ice, but the road crews put salt down which helped a lot. My best friend, who is an EMT-i, says they got a lot of calls for slips and falls along with a couple of car accidents. Sad Hope everyone in the hard-hit areas is doing alright! Ice is the worst. Mad
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 2008 will mark the 10th anniversary of THE GREAT ICE STORM OF 1998! On that occasion we received freezing rain for 5 days, on and off----absolutely disastrous. I remember Dick crying as we listened to one after another of our trees breaking under the weight of the accumulating ice. It was just Crack! Crack! Crack!, one after another, the bushes and forests have yet to recover and we lost every one of our Lombardy poplars. The electricity went out on the 3rd day and we were then without electricity for 16 days. That meant no electricity, no water, no telephone, no kitchen stove. We did however utilize our two wood burning stoves and cooked some pretty decent meals in the coals and atop the stoves. Showered at friends places in the city which got electricity back much more quickly than we country hicks. Never ever want to see anything like that again!

All snowy white up here in Central Canada at the moment!
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember Dick crying as we listened to one after another of our trees breaking under the weight of the accumulating ice.

Oh David, a sympathetic poetic soul. I think I would have wept too and meditated in hope on the new life to come after the disaster. Actually we had a terrible hurricane sweep through Sussex in '98 and that tore down trees as if a clumsy giant had shuffled through the landscape blindly. It was utterly heartbreaking. Not to mention the damage to property and few deaths as well as one narrow escape I heard of very near us.
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it came to the trees our biggest concern was for a huge sugar maple that had been our joy since we first moved to the property. He is an ancient fellow, gnarled and the home to all sorts of birds, and of course squirrels (just to keep the dogs exasperated) and he lost many many minor branches and twigs and bud-ends---but year after year he seems to be regaining his former magnificence. (now if only he could be trained to pick up his leaves after he drops them my life would be much easier!)
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, you leave that sugar maple alone...leaves break down...they're fine! even squillions of them!

since we're treetalking:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7034944.stm

I imagine dear Vita walking that park...she had a rather solid lesson in gender studies with that amazing place!

tree hugs!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(now if only he could be trained to pick up his leaves after he drops them my life would be much easier!)

David you'll have to get a tree trainer in! Either that, or train the dogs to pick up the leaves instead of just sitting there supervising you!!

The squirrels might use the leaves - if the leaves are dry - to line their nests for the winter. They do break down too. Mum used to rake them into the flower beds so that they'd nourish the earth around the flowers.

Thanks Madame, even as I typed it I was sure it was earlier than '98!! I remember the trees in the local park all blown down across the roads. In Brighton on the Old Steine, the big church there also had trees around it blown down. Fascinatingly or not, they had all blown down outwards leaving the church untouched!! Wink It really does help to have friends in high places!
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But raking leaves here is a national fall passtime! Even squillions of them! I only managed to clean up half of his droppings this year before the first snows. Those raked made about 70 or 80 wheelbarrow loads which are piled near the barn where they will slowly muddle away and become lovely topsoil Those under the snow will, come spring, rot and get all moldy and still require cleaning up or the lawn underneath will die a horrid death!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh David you have a barn, how wonderful! The mental picture I have of your place keeps getting better and better..
But 70-80 wheelbarrow loads (you counted?)

In our back yard we have a silver maple, not sugar maple, (must look up maple trees, familiarize myself.) It's huge, bill to trim 2 years ago--$800!--but really too big a job for a non-professional. Some years it gets raked, and some years it doesn't--so far the lawn underneath is ok.
When the evergreen (Austrian pine, considerably smaller) gets too loaded with snow I go out with a broom and smack the snow off so it doesn't get deformed--though I have a feeling trees know what they're doing without my intervention, I should probably leave it quite alone..
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a winter party then in David's barn. Your homes sounds picturesque David.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David...I didn't know of the snow leaf situation...yikes!....

Barbara...seasonal parties ...what a super duper idea...

barn....that amazing scene in "Witness"...I can hear the music as I type
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes gp, I was counting--I'd go out and say "today I'll do 20 wheelbarrow loads and call it enough" and i did that with variations in numbers for about a week before the snow fell! My yard is huge and the back yard has the one giant maple and another good sized one, 3 apple trees , a blue spruce, 3 Jack pines, a row of Douglas fir and some cedar hedging. the side yard has a monster weeping willow, a smaller one, one good sized sugar maple, a manitoba maple and another pine, then the whole thing is enclosed in a 25 foot high cedar hedge.

Hee hee, the barn is a good size Barbara, but is in some advanced disrepair. I also have a wood shed and a potting shed, a garage and a toolshed, and another old building we refer to as the coach house. One day I hope to post you lot a few pictures! But dont' have the wherewithall at this time.

Oh yeah, madame, people with allergies to mold go nuts here in the spring time because of all the leaf rot! You can't but honour the pioneers of our new worlds (yours too) who pioneered living back when!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: